News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Atlanta: Downtown Connector Beautification Project

Started by Grzrd, July 29, 2013, 08:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

This article reports that an effort to create "iconic" remakes of bridges across the Downtown Connector is progressing and that the two Peachtree Street bridges should have designs completed by the end of this year and construction completed by 2015:

A long-awaited effort to create iconic bridges across Atlanta's Downtown Connector is culminating this summer and a final design is due before the year's end.
The first two projects involve Peachtree Street, Atlanta's signature boulevard ....
If all goes as planned, the Peachtree Street bridges will be completed in March 2015. About that time, planning is to begin for three other bridge projects. The $5.35 million in construction funding for the Peachtree Street bridges is coming from a combination of business, state, and philanthropic sources, according to a recent presentation to the board of the state Department of Transportation ....
The bridge beautification projects represent the last word — at least for this generation — in the conversation about how to put a distinctive Atlanta imprint on the Downtown Connector. The highway links I-75 and I-85 as they pass through Atlanta's urban core.

Here's a link to a detailed report on the project:

http://issuu.com/downtownatl/docs/connector/1?e=0

Henry

Sounds like an interesting plan! I hope they go through with it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

berberry

The old Downtown Connector was beautiful.  The city eventually decided that it would work better as a part-time freeway rather than just a parking lot. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.