News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Anyone remember Puerto Rico's designated tourist routes?

Started by Pink Jazz, November 04, 2014, 12:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I know there isn't much discussion here about Puerto Rico, but I remember from around 1996-2000, there were five designated tourist routes on the island - the Parrot, Paso Fino Horse, Flamboyant Tree, Coqui Frog, and the Panoramic Route.  They were eliminated around 2000, although there is some remnant signage in San Juan and Carolina on PR-26 on the concurrency of the Parrot, Paso Fino Horse, and Flamboyant Tree routes.  Here is a description of each route:

Parrot Route
Started in Mayaguez and ended near the San Juan Airport via PR-2, PR-22, and PR-26, serving the north coast including Aguadilla and Arecibo.  Concurrent with the Paso Fino Horse and Flamboyant Tree routes east of the PR-22/PR-18 interchange on PR-22 and PR-26 until its terminus.

Paso Fino Horse route
Started in Mayaguez and headed south then east on PR-2 to Ponce, and then east and north on PR-52/PR-18 to San Juan, then east on PR-22 and PR-26. Concurrent with the Flamboyant Tree route in the northernmost section of PR-52 and all of PR-18, and with the bot the Parrot and Flamboyant Tree routes on PR-22 and PR-26 until its terminus near the San Juan Airport.

Flamboyant Tree Route
Started near the San Juan Airport in a concurrency with the Parrot and Paso Fino Horse routes heading west via PR-26 and PR-22, then south on PR-18 and the northernmost section of PR-52 concurrently with the Paso Fino Horse route, then east to Humacao (I can't remember the exact route), then south on a short section of PR-53 in Humacao.

Coqui Frog Route
Started near the San Juan Airport at the terminus of the Parrot, Paso Fino Horse, and Flamboyant Tree routes, headed east on PR-26, then east and south on PR-3 to Ceiba, and then south on PR-53 to Humacao until meeting with the Flamboyant Tree route again which included the southernmost portion of PR-53.

Panoramic Route
Served various routes through the center of the island starting in Mayaguez and ending in Cayey.  Route actually still exists, but not as part of the network of the other routes and uses its own signage that is different from the old designated tourist routes.

I wonder why PR did away with these routes.  BTW, it makes sense that the San Juan Airport would be used as a terminus for all but the Panoramic route.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

oscar

See http://prboriken.com/rutas.htm for more information, including route markers.

I saw some of the route markers in the wild (for the parrot, horse, and tree routes), included in overhead freeway BGSes, during my only visit to Puerto Rico in 2002.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Pink Jazz

Quote from: oscar on November 04, 2014, 06:01:13 AM
See http://prboriken.com/rutas.htm for more information, including route markers.

I saw some of the route markers in the wild (for the parrot, horse, and tree routes), included in overhead freeway BGSes, during my only visit to Puerto Rico in 2002.

Yep, that remnant signage in San Juan and Carolina was still left over well after the routes were eliminated, and may still be in place (they were there the last time I went there in 2013).  They are pretty much gone from the rest of the island.

roadman65

I have seen them back in 09 when I visited the island.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

clef

This reminds me of South Florida's sunburst signs from the 90s. Albeit those were posted for a different reason (to try and keep people from getting shot.) I believe those went up in 94 and down in 99.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.