News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

1970 Atlanta Freeway Plan

Started by Revive 755, July 14, 2013, 08:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

There was a link to another map in the thread on the tunnel proposal for the eastern side of Atlanta, but since the link no longer works, I'll post this map.

I've modified the map to indicate what managed to get built and what didn't.

The section of I-675 that got built was one of the routes for ROW acquisition after 1983.

The document indicates that the freeway connecting what was built as the GA 10 parkway to I-575 was going to use a tunnel under downtown.

TheStranger

Was there ever a number planned for that western bypass of I-85 within the Perimeter?
Chris Sampang

Alps

Can't quite tell, but it looks like I-575 was going to be the Stone Mountain Freeway and quadruple (or more) its current length?

Charles2

The plan was to expand the Lakewood Freeway (GA-154/166) east of the Connector and number it I-420.  (Insert any jokes you want here).

Revive 755

Quote from: Steve on July 16, 2013, 10:18:24 PM
Can't quite tell, but it looks like I-575 was going to be the Stone Mountain Freeway and quadruple (or more) its current length?

That would actually be a poorly labeled US 78; I don't think the plan went much into numbering the new routes but I will double check it.

Revive 755

Went back today to take another look at the study, but it was not on the library shelves.  I found this one instead:

The image above shows some of the interchange designs for the unbuilt sections of the Lakewood, I-675 inside the I-285 loop, and the unbuilt I-485

This one shows Atlanta possibly going with a decent sized tollway system at one time, as well as giving corridor names for some of the unbuilt facilities.

The above images give a decent view of the alignment considered for the north-south freeway west of I-75.  It appears to be contradicting the earlier figure and 1970 transportation plan by not showing the Stone Mountain corridor tying directly into the South Cobb route.  It appears the South Cobb would tie into the west bypass of downtown near 14th Street.

The 1978 plan for Atlanta has pretty much everything but the Lakewood (I-420), I-675 south of I-420, and what is now GA 400 being dead.

froggie

Found this map on Flickr (not directly posted here due to  "photo rights") that shows a shortened Stone Mountain Freeway extension proposal inward through North Decatur.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.