News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

aaroads.com topics in 2064

Started by bugo, October 24, 2014, 07:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on October 19, 2017, 11:16:50 AM
"President Barron Trump unveils highway overhaul infrastructure plan"

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 19, 2017, 06:22:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2017, 06:23:04 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 17, 2017, 06:56:48 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 17, 2017, 12:12:59 PM
Hey! No fair deleting my trolling post instead of locking this silly thread.
The mods are trying not to lock as much.

I've been trying to lock more threads than usual but I keep missing when I try to click the button.
You having hand trouble? Go see a doctor.

No, every time I try to click the button NE2 unplugs my mouse.

Quote from: bugo on October 19, 2017, 07:13:52 PM

Don't worry, this is an entirely unrealistic headline. Barron Trump wouldn't focus on infrastructure, he'd be too busy with the cyber. He's very good at the cyber.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

2064 MUTCD Requires All Public Signage in Cyrillic

Max Rockatansky

The 2017 Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge to be replaced after damage from mudslides caused by record winter rainfalls in Big Sur.

Bickendan

South Pasadena Petitions CalTrans to Build I-710 Missing Link
·La Canada-Flintridge Still Reticent

kalvado

Quote from: formulanone on October 19, 2017, 08:03:43 PM

2064 MUTCD Requires All Public Signage in Cyrillic
Chinese is a better bet. Or metric....

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadman on October 20, 2017, 10:44:56 AM
Quote from: formulanone on October 19, 2017, 08:03:43 PM
2064 MUTCD Requires All Public Signage in Comic Sans

FIFY.

I can't think of a surer way to get a group of people to commit mass suicide.

hbelkins

"Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Appeal Regarding Clearview"

Meeker family's suit challenging FHWA's rejection of their father's font in 2015 appears headed for final resolution

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2017, 11:35:03 AM
"Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Appeal Regarding Clearview"

Meeker family's suit challenging FHWA's rejection of their father's font in 2015 appears headed for final resolution

Realistically, I don't think that there's much of a chance at Clearview ending up the subject of a court case. You can't sue anyone for not buying your product. Any other legal questions would probably be covered by the precedent of South Dakota v. Dole.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MCRoads

"Aluminum shortage forces DOTs to remove signs for scrap, roads in anarchy"
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kalvado

Quote from: MCRoads on October 22, 2017, 10:34:37 AM
Last BGS removed from the interstate system as Idaho DOT finally complies with requirement for wireless signs on I-90. 
Technology was introduced in 2030s under the expectation that self-driving cars would take over, but it works well for both automatic and human-driven vehicles as Google pushes for legislation increasing nationwide speed limit  for driverless cars to 40 MPH from present 30 MPH. However wireless communication protocol works well for human drivers allowing them clearly seeing windscreen-projected signs at regular highway speed of 125 MPH.

Roadgeekteen

aaroads to close after all signs are taken down and teleporters are in the process of replacing superwarp roads droven on by self driving cars.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 22, 2017, 06:02:48 PM
aaroads to close after all signs are taken down and teleporters are in the process of replacing superwarp roads droven on by self driving cars.

I'm not sure what the hell superwarp roads are, but should this dystopian, future, theoretical world exist, I would think and hope that the roadgeek community and this forum would still exist to discuss and watch footage of the roads and better world of the past.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

US 89

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 22, 2017, 07:44:45 PM

I'm not sure what the hell superwarp roads are, but should this dystopian, future, theoretical world exist, I would think and hope that the roadgeek community and this forum would still exist to discuss and watch footage of the roads and better world of the past.

I've had this exact same thought. If we ever do teleport in the future, we will lose an entire aspect of our lives, and the phrase "getting there is half the fun"  will have no meaning.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadguy2 on October 22, 2017, 10:52:26 PM
I've had this exact same thought. If we ever do teleport in the future, we will lose an entire aspect of our lives, and the phrase "getting there is half the fun"  will have no meaning.

I would think at that point, the novelty our niche would occupy would come not from the journey, but from discovering little-known destinations in between the better-known ones.

bdmoss88

AlDOT begins construction on next section of Montgomery Outer Loop between Vaughn Rd and US231.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 22, 2017, 07:44:45 PM

superwarp roads are roads which move you so quickly that the outside is a blur.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Considering aluminum is by far the most common metal on Earth that isn't going to be an issue.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 23, 2017, 11:23:36 AM

Considering aluminum is by far the most common metal on Earth that isn't going to be an issue.

That may be correct, in terms of % of Earth's composition, but aluminum is pretty difficult (read: expensive) to separate from its ore. That's why aluminum recycling is so prevalent. (It's also because aluminum happens to be one of the easiest metals to recycle, what with >90% recovery from recycled waste material...)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 23, 2017, 11:25:59 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 23, 2017, 11:23:36 AM

That may be correct, in terms of % of Earth's composition, but aluminum is one of the most difficult (read: expensive) metals to separate from its ore. That's why aluminum recycling is so popular.

That's true but those refining processes are only getting better with time.  Four decades or so onward I think it would be safe to assume there would be further improvements in aluminum mining. 

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 23, 2017, 11:30:48 AM
That's true but those refining processes are only getting better with time.  Four decades or so onward I think it would be safe to assume there would be further improvements in aluminum mining.

While improvements to aluminum smelting might happen, I think the fact that reuse is far more energy efficient than mining of new raw materials will dictate where a large portion of our aluminum comes from even 30+ years from now. (The amount of material recycled, as well as the efficiency of recycling, could both improve as well.)

All of that being said, even with the widespread use of the metal for highway signs, I really quite doubt that particular use being a significant source of the metal in the future.

sparker

Trace elements in aluminum cans found to release toxins when contacted by carbon dioxide.  Canned soft drinks to be withdrawn from use, replaced by polycarbonate bottles.

On a related note, DOT's rejoice; AASHTO chairman Scott Bennett III, in an interview with the Washington Post, proclaimed "this is the best news we can receive -- more for us!"  And, in an aside to a reporter, he stated "now we can get our f---ing signs back".

roadman

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 23, 2017, 11:45:57 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 23, 2017, 11:30:48 AM

While improvements to aluminum smelting might happen, I think the fact that reuse is far more energy efficient than mining of new raw materials will dictate where a large portion of our aluminum comes from even 30+ years from now. (The amount of material recycled, as well as the efficiency of recycling, could both improve as well.)

All of that being said, even with the widespread use of the metal for highway signs, I really quite doubt that particular use being a significant source of the metal in the future.
Wonder how many Coke cans it would take to make an average sized BGS.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadman on October 23, 2017, 11:56:17 AM
Wonder how many Coke cans it would take to make an average sized BGS.

I thought briefly about trying to calculate that (easy if you know the mass of a beverage can and the approximate size of a prototypical BGS), but on a second thought I'm not even sure that BGSes are made from aluminum. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're made from something cheaper like steel.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.