News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What is the most substandard interstate?

Started by silverback1065, August 10, 2017, 10:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadiejay on August 19, 2017, 08:01:41 PM
Then I nominate I-19. Due to metric signage which is most American and therefore substandard much better.

Fixed that for you. :bigass:

jwolfer

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 19, 2017, 08:38:35 PM
Then I nominate I-19. Due to metric signage which is most American and therefore substandard much better.

Fixed that for you. :bigass:
I like it!!  When i was in elementary schoolin the late 1970s we were learning metric to switch by 1980... Around the same time as Canada..

Metric makes more sense to me... But 35 degrees doesn't sound hot to me..

I can never remember how many ounces are in a quart? or a pint? or which is bigger teaspoon or tablespoon?

LGMS428

cpzilliacus

Quote from: sbeaver44 on August 19, 2017, 07:53:10 PM
I-676 is pretty substandard if the PA and NJ sections are considered one interstate.  The section around Franklin Square uses surface streets.

As far as two-digit Interstates go, I also vote I-83.  Unfortunately my home state of Pennsylvania is an embarrassment here, and I-83 inside the Baltimore Beltway Baltimore City Limits is also not great.

Nexus 6P

FTFY. 

Aside from the short multiplex with I-695 (not great), I-83 in Baltimore County, Maryland is fine (and lots better than I-83 north of the state line).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Eth

To its credit, Georgia really has no candidates here that I can think of. The shoulders on I-516 are kinda narrow, I guess?

SignGeek101

Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2017, 09:12:24 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on August 10, 2017, 10:39:57 PM
We've talked about crappy roadways before, but only segments.  What interstate, as a whole, is the most substandard?

Reading comprehension is obviously not a thing on this forum, as I've seen plenty of responses similar to "I-9999 between Turkey Trot and Bean Blossom."

In my experience, I'd have to say I-83.

Then I nominate I-19. Due to metric signage which is very unamerican and therefore substandard.

Must have really low speed limits then!  :bigass:

hotdogPi

I know I-180 has already been mentioned, but what about the Alaska and Puerto Rico Interstates?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

OCGuy81

No mention of I-5 in Portland, OR??? Terrible stretch of freeway.

ET21

I-190 in IL, very tight. Some of the interchange merges need to be redone but space is a major issue with any improvement
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Bickendan

Quote from: OCGuy81 on August 20, 2017, 01:18:48 PM
No mention of I-5 in Portland, OR??? Terrible stretch of freeway.
Because we're talking about the entire route, not specific stretches.

Tom958

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 12, 2017, 12:06:11 AM(3) This at PA-643;

Wow, that's a classic. Westbound, the offramp has this crazy-long decel lane, but the merger lane is all but nonexistent, apparently because they didn't want to make the PA 643 bridge a laneswidth longer. That's bad, but what's worse is that the original 1962 bridge was replaced in 2010 and still isn't long enough!  :rolleyes:

Flint1979

Quote from: Tom958 on September 07, 2017, 08:54:25 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 12, 2017, 12:06:11 AM(3) This at PA-643;

Wow, that's a classic. Westbound, the offramp has this crazy-long decel lane, but the merger lane is all but nonexistent, apparently because they didn't want to make the PA 643 bridge a laneswidth longer. That's bad, but what's worse is that the original 1962 bridge was replaced in 2010 and still isn't long enough!  :rolleyes:
Looks like they could have had the WB on ramp coming off of Bark Road there.

dcharlie

I agree with I-180 in Wyoming.  I mean, really... It's got traffic lights.  Debate over...

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ParrDa on September 08, 2017, 11:38:57 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 08, 2017, 11:28:16 PM
I-93 through the notch.
The notch does not encompass ALL of I93, does it?
Also, you've made 7 posts in the last 10 minutes  :-o
I have not posted in six days. Half the posts were welcoming new members.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bing101

I-780 mainly its a carryover when Solano County had a smaller population and the exit and entrance ramps are outdated plus it resembles CA-160 the Freeway section in Sacramento.

This had to be way before More people made Solano County the commuter county for both Sacramento and San Francisco.

mgk920

For 'substandardness', I would consider how the road compares with the basic engineering standards of the interstate system, not its immediate surface or structural conditions.  Thus, I would say, in no particular order (does not include narrow bridges or tunnels):

- I-180 (Wyoming) - no interchanges, only signalized intersections.
- I-70 (Pennsylvania) - signalized intersections and narrow median/short merge areas, including STOP sign protection on some.
- I-278 (NYC) - narrowness and tight interchange merges.
- I-78 (Jersey City, NJ) - signalized intersections.
- I-93 (Francona Notch S.P., NH) - two lane section.
- I-55 (Memphis, TN) - tight single-lane cloverleaf loop ramp to stay on highway (is being or will soon be fixed).
- I-80 (Delaware Water Gap, NJ) - westbound RIRO intersection.

Mike

TEG24601

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 11, 2017, 12:34:54 AM
I-5 in downtown Seattle has an awful design and left exits.  I could go for the lay-up with I-70 in Breezewood...might as well say it before it gets too obvious of a pick.

I have never understood the hate for left exits.  That being said there are numerous design deficiencies with I-5 throughout its whole length, including having too few lanes through Seattle; the bottlenecks at Marysville, Centralia/Chehalis, North Portland; the left entrance from SR-520 just 1/2 mile from the right exit to Mercer St (SB, the opposite NB); the drawbridges between Vancouver and Portland, and the horrible approach to it in Vancouver; the lack of proper merging lanes/run-up space at the south end of the Express Lanes in Seattle; the sharp turns and non-banked turns in LA.

I would also say that most urban freeways qualify as substandard, as they often rarely have much of an interior shoulder, and often have the exterior shoulder minimized.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Flint1979

I don't think left lane exits are that bad if your going from an Interstate to another Interstate but when they are just another exit I don't like them. The Detroit area has quite a few of them and some of them are being rebuilt to have right lane exits.

I never considered the Square Lake exit (exit 75) on I-75 as a bad exit, coming NB it had a left lane exit but that interchange is being rebuilt and will no longer have the left lane exit once it's finished. Coming NB though it breaks down to 55 mph but doesn't become a city street until about a mile past the exit.

The exit at US-23 and I-96 use to have a left lane entrance from SB 23 to EB 96 with a left lane exit. The exit is still a left lane exit but the entrance to 96 is now a right lane entrance.

kkt

What makes left lane entrances and exits bad is when they are close together with right lane entrances and exits on high volume freeways.  The whole freeway james up for people who are trying to merge across the whole freeway in time to make their exit.  A single left exit in the middle of nowhere with low traffic is no problem, but they tend to be built in urban areas where exits are closely spaced and traffic volumes are high.

silverback1065

Quote from: kkt on September 10, 2017, 01:05:18 PM
What makes left lane entrances and exits bad is when they are close together with right lane entrances and exits on high volume freeways.  The whole freeway james up for people who are trying to merge across the whole freeway in time to make their exit.  A single left exit in the middle of nowhere with low traffic is no problem, but they tend to be built in urban areas where exits are closely spaced and traffic volumes are high.

exactly, and if a semi has to do that, it ruins everything, as they move slower and cause more slowdowns as a result

Beltway

Quote from: TEG24601 on September 10, 2017, 10:39:29 AM
I have never understood the hate for left exits. 

There was an NCDOT highway engineer that had conniption fits over left exits and entrances, on several online forums.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

AlexandriaVA

I would also say that most urban freeways qualify as substandard, as they often rarely have much of an interior shoulder, and often have the exterior shoulder minimized.

The issue then is not the freeways, but the standard itself. Simply not enough room...don't see why urban freeways need to always be compared to rural wide-open freeways where land is abundant.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Beltway on September 11, 2017, 12:13:05 PM

There was an NCDOT highway engineer that had conniption fits over left exits and entrances, on several online forums.

I hate them because in the era before GPSes were widespread, you often didn't know that your exit was a left exit so you would have to cut across lanes in order to make your exit. If you're in an area that you're unfamiliar with, it can be a challenge.

paulthemapguy

Whichever Interstate spends the most time in Indiana and Illinois.  So I guess I-74?  :-D :spin:

In terms of inability to handle traffic demand, it has to be I-290 in Illinois.  In terms of failure to meet Interstate standards, I'd go with I-93 and I-180 in WY.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Beltway

Quote from: The Nature Boy on September 11, 2017, 12:30:15 PM
Quote from: Beltway on September 11, 2017, 12:13:05 PM
I hate them because in the era before GPSes were widespread, you often didn't know that your exit was a left exit so you would have to cut across lanes in order to make your exit. If you're in an area that you're unfamiliar with, it can be a challenge.

If it is properly signed, then you will know a mile or two in advance.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.