News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

25 Years Later, Highway & Signage Looks Near Perfect!

Started by architect77, October 20, 2017, 05:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

architect77

Hello,

I spend a lot of time contacting GDOT & Atlanta Public Works to repair damaged signage, etc. and in general, implore them to raise their standards in quality. A maintenance worker will be seen out installing sharp arrow signs somewhere and within 2-3 months several are already falling over.

It is such a waste of taxpayer money & everyone's efforts not to mention the negative light it casts on the city and state.

Georgia & Atlanta care nothing about level installation of signs or even overhead sign structures. Almost none are visually level and several overhead sign supports are tilted almost 10 degrees. It's so embarrassing to the region and I hate having to accept such low standards for the place I call home.

43 SECOND VIDEO IN NORTH CAROLINA I-85/I-40 DUPLEX.....~60 miles with 8 lanes from Durham to Greensboro. (I-85 is now 6-8 lanes for almost all of NC's 220 miles)
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nMkieZw_2JM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So last month returning from Raleigh to Atlanta, I didn't opt to go the short route which is US64/ NC49, and I took I-85.

I suffered in the 90's through the 10-year widening/building of the I-85/I-40 Duplex from Durham to Greensboro.

Once completed, it was apparent that NC was going all out in capacity for the future along with very high standards for roadside accouterment.

I had to marvel last month at how well & level all of the shoulder signs, etc. still appear. Overall, this duplex highway still looks relatively new, and in no way does it reflect it's actual age of 25 years.

I sent photos to GDOT of I-85/I-40 where even tiny shoulder signs having concrete footings. High-quality installation seems to more than pay for itself when signs are maintenance-free for 25 years.

I mean, this interstate isn't paved in gold or anything, but it deserves a shout-out for not looking its age, and it is somewhat impressive for it size (outside of an urban area) and overhead signage & supports that are very large with some extreme cantilevers.

The roadway is noticeably crowned also, which I hope has shed water effectively over the years.
6CBBBFBF-4FDD-4C5A-B453-D8EAB1DEEEB4 by Stephen Edwards, on FlickrBEA99614-BD17-452A-9C26-F1C771BC5E4A by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Mapmikey

This stretch of I40/85 also still has quite a few of the black-and-white ROW boundary signs NC put up along highways in the 1950s

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.