News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 311 is returning to Virginia

Started by Mapmikey, July 19, 2012, 08:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Yesterday the CTB transferred SR 863 west of Danville to the Primary System so that it can be designated US 311.

http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2012/july/pres/Resolution_Agenda_Item_4_rte311_transfer_CTBresolution_July18_12rev.pdf

The CTB did not specify an interim number while awaiting AASHTO approval and they did not mention doing anything with current VA 311.

Mapmikey

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 19, 2012, 08:31:24 PM
Yesterday the CTB transferred SR 863 west of Danville to the Primary System so that it can be designated US 311.

http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2012/july/pres/Resolution_Agenda_Item_4_rte311_transfer_CTBresolution_July18_12rev.pdf

The CTB did not specify an interim number while awaiting AASHTO approval and they did not mention doing anything with current VA 311.

Mapmikey

Interesting development. It's also interesting that that segment of SR 863 actually ends at US 58 BUSINESS, since SR 863 doesn't currently have an interchange with the mainline.

On another note, it seems the CTB and VDOT are aware of possibly having to do something with VA 311, as mentioned in last month's presentation on the transfer:

http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/resources/2012/june/pre/Presentation_Agenda_Item_10_SecToPrimaryRte863CTBPresentationV2.pdf
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

They could be waiting for US 311 to be approved, and/or West Virginia's input, on renumbering VA/WV 311.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

I don't see VA 311 being renumbered as it technically still serves its original purpose an an extension of the original US 311.  Besides random thought but if it is renumbered VA 311 would make "what VA 360 should be renumbered to" list.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 20, 2012, 10:58:59 AM
I don't see VA 311 being renumbered as it technically still serves its original purpose an an extension of the original US 311.  Besides random thought but if it is renumbered VA 311 would make "what VA 360 should be renumbered to" list.

Good point.  And speaking of "children" of U.S. 11, doesn't U.S. 211 continue west of I-81 as Va. 211?  Have not been out that way in a long time, but Google Maps seems to confirm it's a state route west of New Market (and GSV shows a state reassurance marker in Timberville east of Va. 42 here).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on July 20, 2012, 01:53:09 PM
^ Yes, VA 211 goes west to VA 42.

But the last time I was across it, there are a few error US 211 signs posted on the state route portion.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

There have been erroneous US 211 shields at VA 42 back to the faded cutout days....20+ years worth.

Mapmikey

Pilgrimway

I drove US/VA 211 last April and I did notice a mix of US and Virginia shields west of I-81 out to VA42.  Where does it REALLY end- at I81 or at US11 in New Market?

74/171FAN

Quote from: Pilgrimway on July 30, 2012, 09:02:30 PM
I drove US/VA 211 last April and I did notice a mix of US and Virginia shields west of I-81 out to VA42.  Where does it REALLY end- at I81 or at US11 in New Market?
Both US 211 and VA 211 end at I-81.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

I visited Danville yesterday to see if the US 311 path in Virginia which was taken into the primary system had been posted as anything (such as VA 51). 

It is still posted solely as SR 863.

Mapmikey

usends

usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

NE2

"The extension of U.S. 311 will happen where it terminates from N.C. Highway 14."
Must have fired their proofreader.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

BrianP

Will NC 770 be truncated or will a needless multiplex be made?  They could put 770 back on it's old routing to meet US 311 in the middle of Eden.  But I would guess that wouldn't happen since that's not even a business route anymore.

And that's not the only bad grammar in that article:
QuoteFrom there, it will follow to U.S. Highway 58 in Virginia.
It will follow what?

Mapmikey

If NC 132 and NC 135 are any indication, co-signing with 770 seems likely.

Of course they could replace NC 700 with 770, though there's no real reason to do that, I guess.

74/171FAN

I split all of the US 33/VA 33 end point conversation into its own topic.

-Mark

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=8743.0

Mapmikey

Performed a field check of this today...US 311 has not been signed anywhere on its new extension.

Mapmikey

broadhurst04

The quote from Phil Berger in the News-Advance article is a bit much. He takes credit for working to "increase transportation access to and from Eden and Rockingham County, and this extension will help bring business and investment to our area." The road was already there. But  it's suddenly considered an Important Road because it's now a federal route and not a state secondary route? Why does he think Eden will suddenly become a boom town just because a few route shields changed?

froggie

QuoteThe road was already there. But  it's suddenly considered an Important Road because it's now a primary route and not a state secondary route?

FTFY

usends

I received a report that VDoT has now signed the US 311 extension in their state.  However, apparently NCDoT has not yet signed their portion of the extension (from Eden to the VA state line).
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

cpzilliacus

Quote from: broadhurst04 on July 06, 2013, 04:56:16 PM
The road was already there. But  it's suddenly considered an Important Road because it's now a federal route and not a state secondary route? Why does he think Eden will suddenly become a boom town just because a few route shields changed?

I have never driven this road, but I do know that a road in Virginia with a primary system route number will receive significantly more resources in terms of VDOT maintenance dollars. 

The three Northern Virginia parkways (Fairfax County, Franconia-Springfield and Prince William) that were recently moved from the secondary system (formerly 7100, 7900 and 3000, respectively) to the primary system (286, 289 and 294) have gotten badly-needed pavement milling and repaving almost as soon as the transfer was approved by  the CTB. 

I was on Va. 289 last week, and the condition of the pavement is dramatically better than it was as Va. 7900, and the repaving work is not even completed yet.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: usends on September 24, 2013, 09:22:19 AM
I received a report that VDoT has now signed the US 311 extension in their state.  However, apparently NCDoT has not yet signed their portion of the extension (from Eden to the VA state line).

Any pictures yet?

BTW, just added the VA segment of US-311 into OSM. ;)

Takumi

I may go that way later this year if nobody else does.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mapmikey

I can verify that NCDOT has now signed their portion of the extension.  NC 770 continues to be posted...this picture is from Dec 7:

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 10, 2013, 05:43:53 PM

I can verify that NCDOT has now signed their portion of the extension.  NC 770 continues to be posted...this picture is from Dec 7:

I've gone ahead and updated OSM with that info.  Thanks for letting us know! :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.