News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roads that change names but then latter change back to the previous name.

Started by dvferyance, January 05, 2020, 09:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Rothman on March 04, 2020, 03:12:37 PM
Take a look at what Google Maps makes you do if you're headed onto Delaware coming north on US 9W:

https://goo.gl/maps/VBDoenToNjYXDs2w7

Legit don't get it
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

roadman65

Florida in Osceola County with Bronson Highway.  Goes from Bronson to Vine Street, back to Bronson, then 13th Street, and back to Bronson.

Orange County, Orange Blossom Trail has Main Street in Apopka separating the two named parts.
Plus Semoran Blvd. (which is in Seminole County as well) goes from Semoran to Altamonte Drive back to Semoran.

Springfield, NJ has Springfield Avenue become Meisel Avenue and return to it along Union County Road 577.

I am sure there are many times Jefferson Davis Highway in Virginia reappears along US 1.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: roadman65 on March 07, 2020, 10:28:09 AM
I am sure there are many times Jefferson Davis Highway in Virginia reappears along US 1.
I'm pretty sure they changed the name of the whole highway to Arlington Hwy a while back.

DJ Particle

I can think of two different ways to interpret this...

Back in the days of the Metrodome, the block of Chicago Ave between 5th and 4th was "Kirby Puckett Place", and a block of 10th Ave was named "Rod Carew Place" after the famous Twins players.  Once Target Field was opened, those designations were changed to streets near the new stadium. The previous streets were reverted back to their older names.

Then there's MN-77, which starts out in Apple Valley as Cedar Ave (the old Cedar is "Nichols St. south of the river and "Old Cedar Ave" north of it)...until you cross into Richfield, where the old Cedar never got its name changed.  Once the freeway ends, it feeds back into being Cedar Ave.

TheGrassGuy

Springfield, NJ has Springfield Avenue become Meisel Avenue and return to it along Union County Road 577.

Only if you go SB

US71

US 30 / Lincoln Highway is 211th St in parts of the Chicago suburbs, but 14th Street in Chicago Heights.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on January 16, 2020, 05:27:05 PM
Not sure if this counts, yet I think it might:

In Koreatown in Los Angeles, Normandie Avenue splits into Irolo Street and Normandie Avenue at Olympic Boulevard.

The fork of Normandie ends at 7th Street, while Irolo eventually becomes Normandie again at Wilshire!
https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+Olympic+Blvd+%26+Normandie+Ave,+Los+Angeles,+CA+90006/@34.0531491,-118.3001656,19.08z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c2b87f8d2c815b:0xa7b7bc5c9eff2f7e!8m2!3d34.0526296!4d-118.3000264

---

Further north, in the San Mateo/Foster City area, 3rd Avenue becomes J. Hart Clinton Drive east of Norfolk Street, then East 3rd Avenue once the road enters Foster City.  (This used to be the main approach road to the San Mateo Bridge until the 1960s)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/J+Hart+Clinton+Dr,+San+Mateo,+CA/@37.5690639,-122.3037306,15.63z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x808f9e8458906e49:0x2b44f0a12c563bae!8m2!3d37.5727922!4d-122.3016471

---

One that may or may not count, and kinda similar to the Koreatown example above, is the various Almaden streets in San Jose:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Willow+St+%26+S+Almaden+Ave,+San+Jose,+CA+95110/@37.3250432,-121.8948339,16.46z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x808e334bb421ed3b:0x1f9aca00dbbdbeea!8m2!3d37.3189317!4d-121.8822365

Southbound, one drives from Almaden Boulevard in downtown San Jose to Vine Street to Almaden Road.

Northbound the transition isn't quite there: Almaden Road to Almaden Avenue.

Almaden Road -- an extension of Almaden Ave. -- begins south of Alma, splitting a couple of blocks south of there into Almaden Expressway and Almaden Road (on the original arterial alignment along Guadalupe River); the latter re-intersects the expressway south of Curtner Ave.  Almaden Road continues sporadically as a frontage road on the east side of the the expressway; there is a frontage road on the west side signed as Almaden Ave. between Lincoln and Foxworthy.   My office is a couple of blocks from the original "split" -- and my mechanic's right on Almaden Road, which I use to get to work 5 days a week. 

Flint1979

Quote from: sandwalk on January 18, 2020, 03:08:48 AM
Quote from: GaryV on January 16, 2020, 02:23:50 PM
Quote from: sandwalk on January 16, 2020, 12:27:28 PM
Ohio State Route 120 turns into a county road (Morenci Road, Territorial Road) at the Michigan state line and eventually back to a highway when it reaches Indiana: State Road 120.  The Michigan section was formally M-120 on the route that connects Toledo & Elkhart.

You missed a bit in the middle.  Morenci Road changes to Main Street in the city of Morenci.

But the roads in IN and OH also have names in some places.  For example, it's Morenci Street in Lyons, OH.  And Territorial Road changes to Toledo Street (along with Indiana 120) after it crosses into IN.

So unless IN 120 is the same name as OH 120, the whole thing can't be considered as switching back to the same "name".

In both Ohio and Indiana, the road is a state highway labeled "120." In between in Michigan, it is not a state highway labeled "120."  There ya go.
The roadway in Michigan use to be M-120 as well. It was a three State highway with the same number. Michigan turned that part of the state trunk line back to local control though. M-120 was reused in another part of the state in the Muskegon area. So indeed at one time the they were connected as 120. It hasn't been M-120 since 1961 and was originally M-174.

sparker

Prior to Santa Ana Freeway development (1947-59) outward from L.A., LRN 174/SSR 10 displayed this phenomenon -- the route started out in the Westchester area of Los Angeles (near LAX) as Manchester Avenue, and continued east to just past the L.A. River, where it changed names through Downey, Norwalk, and Santa Fe Springs to Firestone Blvd., only to revert to Manchester Avenue once it crossed into Orange County at Buena Park.  That name continued all the way through Anaheim, where the street alignment picked up LRN 2/US 101 at the Los Angeles St. intersection.  Curiously, while SSR 10 terminated at that intersection, LRN 174 continued, effectively (if not legally) multiplexing with LRN 2 about a mile south to the Chapman Ave. intersection, where LRN 2 turned east onto Chapman into the city of Orange, turning south again at Main Street.  LRN 174/Manchester Ave. continued ahead southeast into Santa Ana -- signed as US 101 -- where it terminated at Main Street north of downtown.       

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on March 07, 2020, 03:28:59 PM
I'm pretty sure they changed the name of the whole highway to Arlington Hwy a while back.

I believe they changed the name to Richmond Highway, which is consistent with the longtime name of U.S. 1 in Fairfax County.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 06, 2020, 08:22:56 PM
This is reasonably common in Virginia when roads pass through independent cities or towns.

One of the more interesting ones is VA-123. Heading north, it becomes Chain Bridge Road near Fairfax City. It changes to Maple Avenue through the Town of Vienna, then becomes Chain Bridge Road again. Then it becomes Dolley Madison Boulevard for a while (without crossing a jurisdictional border) before becoming Chain Bridge Road again to its terminus.

US-29 is another. It's Lee Highway in Arlington, then it briefly becomes Old Dominion Drive. Old Dominion splits off as VA-309 and US-29 becomes Lee Highway again, then becomes Washington Street through the City of Falls Church, then becomes Lee Highway again when it enters Fairfax County.

Not so far away, but much less well-known are two instances in the District of Columbia.

North Capitol Street runs in a very straight alignment from its origin at Louisiana Avenue to the intersection at Michigan Avenue, about 2.6 miles north.  Beyond Michigan Avenue, the road becomes an isolated expressway (not connected to any other freeway or expressway for a little more than a mile), to the signals at Fort Drive, where this gets interesting.  The North Capitol Street name just disappears (Google Maps is incorrect) and the road changes names to Clermont Drive, N.E. for a distance of 0.3 miles.

At the north terminus of Clermont Drive, the North Capitol Street traffic swings left onto Hawaii Avenue, N.E. (also incorrectly shown on Google Maps) and follows that street for a block, and then a right turn back onto North Capitol Street.

I assert that a very small percentage of regular drivers know that they are on Clermont Drive or Hawaii Avenue when they use North Capitol Street.

The other example involves Florida Avenue.  Headed west from the intersection of 7th Street and Florida Avenue, N.W., Florida Avenue veers away from the main flow of traffic at 9th Street, and drivers follow U Street, N.W.  (Florida Avenue is not well-signed and most drivers stay with the flow of traffic on U Street as shown here).  After about a mile, Florida Avenue comes back to U Street at 18th Street, and much of the traffic follows Florida Avenue once again.  The unusual shape of Florida Avenue means that there are issues with emergency dispatching, for Florida Avenue, N.W. intersects with several of the lettered streets - twice.  Dave Statter of the fine Statter911 site had some choice words for the D.C. Office of Unified Communications (OUC) on this subject here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

apeman33

Here in Butler County, KS, one of the main roads starts as Butler Road, becomes Andover Road inside Andover (of course), becomes Butler Road again, then becomes Rose Hill Road inside (you guessed it) Rose Hill, then Butler Road one last time.

Verlanka

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 13, 2020, 12:32:48 AM
The other example involves Florida Avenue.  Headed west from the intersection of 7th Street and Florida Avenue, N.W., Florida Avenue veers away from the main flow of traffic at 9th Street, and drivers follow U Street, N.W.  (Florida Avenue is not well-signed and most drivers stay with the flow of traffic on U Street as shown here).  After about a mile, Florida Avenue comes back to U Street at 18th Street, and much of the traffic follows Florida Avenue once again.  The unusual shape of Florida Avenue means that there are issues with emergency dispatching, for Florida Avenue, N.W. intersects with several of the lettered streets - twice.  Dave Statter of the fine Statter911 site had some choice words for the D.C. Office of Unified Communications (OUC) on this subject here.
And Florida Ave used to be called Boundary Street since it bordered the old District of Columbia.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Verlanka on March 13, 2020, 06:27:57 AM
And Florida Ave used to be called Boundary Street since it bordered the old District of Columbia.

That is not correct.

Boundary Street was never one of the borders of the District of Columbia.  But it was the boundary between the City of Washington to the south and Washington County to the north (Washington County being mostly rural land out to the border with Maryland).   In the 1870's, Congress abolished the two cities in the District of Columbia (Washington and Georgetown), also abolished Washington County, and redefined all of Washington to be the District of Columbia, which is how things remain to this day.

GaryA

I remember driving roads like MD 140 and its continuation in PA, and bring amused by the progression of

TownA Rd/St/Pike (usually Pike) --> (nearing TownA) Baltimore Rd/Pike --> (in TownA) Main St --> (leaving TownA) TownB Pike --> Baltimore Rd/Pike --> Main St --> TownC Pike --> .... 

Main St was in almost every town, Baltimore Rd/Pike only for some, but it was a common (and natural) road naming pattern.

webny99

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2020, 03:44:43 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on February 29, 2020, 11:42:54 PM
This is a bit out of hand: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Little+Rock,+AR/@34.7313278,-92.2407403,14.66z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x87d2a134a11f569b:0x3405f5100df35b17!8m2!3d34.7464809!4d-92.2895948

I guess I'm not seeing the connection to this thread. All I can see is part of Little Rock, prominently centered on the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport.

It's the curvy road that goes around the airport, changing names four or five times.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

lepidopteran

Not sure if this counts, but greater Detroit has

Southfield Rd., which starts at the Detroit River in a place called Ecorse, running west as a 5-lane arterial, until Lincoln Park where it becomes a divided boulevard with as many as 8 lanes.
At an interchange with I-94, it turns north and becomes
Southfield Freeway, or M-39.
When it reaches the Lodge Freeway/M-10 in its namesake Southfield, it returns to being
Southfield Rd., which remains at 5 lanes until it ends at (another) T-intersection in Birmingham.

This is something to clinch.

Elm

In/next to Lakewood, Colorado, a segment of Indiana St between 6th and Colfax Aves is "Denver West Colorado Millls Blvd,"  after the nearby mall and office park (map). Unrelated to the topic, that road goes through several other names after Indiana St on both ends.

For a few less fitting examples:

In a case of road names sticking to the street grid, in Englewood and Cherry Hills Village, Hampden Ave (US 285) shifts south a block for about a mile, where it becomes Jefferson Ave (map). Some maps also call it "Hampden Bypass,"  but "Jefferson"  is on the signs/addresses.

As a brief couplet situation, in Denver, southbound Santa Fe Dr turns into South Platte River Dr between I-25 and where Louisiana Ave would be (map). (This is very close to where Santa Fe is part of a different couplet, but both directions are "Santa Fe"  for a bock or so north of I-25.)

mrsman

Sorry to chime in late, but wanted to add some more examples in the L.A. area.

Crescent Heights Blvd in LA/West Hollywood changes to McCarthy Vista at Wilshire, then to Carrillo at San Vicente, and then back to Crescent Heights at Olympic.  [This is similar to the Normandie/Irolo situation others have mentioned, but better as there is no Crescent Heights at all between Wilshire and Olympic.  The lack of Crescent Heights in this section does lead to considerable confusion and IMO the whole stretch should be renamed as Crescent Heights.]

Street names change alot when crossing city boundaries.  This is especially true for island cities that are completely (or nearly completely) surrounded by LA.

This happens to many streets around San Fernando: Herrick-5th-Herrick; Bradley-4th-Bradley

Beverly Hills:  Holt-Stanley-Holt; Sherbourne-Carson-Sherbourne.  Stanley and Carson are so short they really should be renamed to Holt and Sherbourne.  Additionally, there is another parallel Stanley only 1.5 miles to the east, so it adds additional confusion.

This also happens with many of the more recent honorifics.  Part of 9th was renamed James M. Wood Blvd, so you have 9th-JMW-9th.  But honestly, I think most people still just refer to the whole street as 9th.

Hudson between Sunset and Hollywood was renamed Shrader Blvd, but this one is less obvious because of the broken grid, it isn't clear that Hudson was all one street.  (But old maps and my memory can confirm it.)

I should also mention one of my favorites.  In Inglewood, find the corner of Florence and La Brea.  A few blocks to the west is a small street named Fir.  Within Inglewood, this is Fir.  Cross into Lennox and the street is now Firmona.  The street is blocked by the 105 freeway, but continues as Firmona for one more block until Imperial Highway and the border with Hawthorne and now the street is called Ramona.  So the name Firmona is a portmanteau of Fir and Ramona - clever!.  But the story is not done.  After Rosecrans, with a slight jig, Firmona reappears.  So we have Fir-Firmona-Ramona-Firmona.

There are more examples, but I'm not listing the ones that aren't continuous.  E.G. Borden-7th-Borden is not continuous as part of 7th is blocked by Valley HS in San Fernando.  Corinth-Albright-Corinth and Purdue-Bledsoe-Purdue in Culver City don't quite work as there are broken blocks just north of Venice Blvd.

SkyPesos

Quote from: frankenroad on January 07, 2020, 02:24:56 PM
I feel like there are others in the Cincinnati area, but I can't think of them at the moment.
US 42:
After various streets and Central Pkwy in downtown, starts off as Reading Rd. Continues under Reading Rd until Sharonville, where US 42 splits off Reading Rd northeast onto Lebanon Rd. Reading Rd continues north by itself, until it changes to Cincinnati-Dayton Rd after crossing into Butler County. US 42 crosses into Butler County and changes from Lebanon Rd to Cincinnati-Columbus Rd. It then changes back to Reading Rd after crossing the Butler-Warren county line.

Flint1979

In Saginaw County E. Genesee becomes Dixie Highway at the Saginaw city limits at Hess. At the Genesee County line it becomes Saginaw Road and then goes through Mount Morris and Flint as Saginaw Street. It changes back to Dixie Highway at the Oakland County line so the part in Genesee County isn't Dixie Highway but the parts in Saginaw and Oakland County are Dixie Highway.

wanderer2575

Quote from: lepidopteran on April 23, 2020, 04:52:09 PM

Southfield Rd., which starts at the Detroit River in a place called Ecorse, running west as a 5-lane arterial, until Lincoln Park where it becomes a divided boulevard with as many as 8 lanes.
When it reaches the Lodge Freeway/M-10 in its namesake Southfield, it returns to being
Southfield Rd., which remains at 5 lanes until it ends at (another) T-intersection in Birmingham.

Actually, Southfield Road goes down to two lanes north of 14 Mile Road, and is basically a 25mph side street in its last half mile.

The champion for the metro Detroit area might be Jefferson Avenue.  From south to north:  The Jefferson Avenue name begins in Brownstown Township, then it is Biddle Avenue through the city of Wyandotte, then back to Jefferson Avenue, then Lake Shore Drive in Grosse Pointe Farms and Grosse Pointe Shores, then back to Jefferson Avenue.

DandyDan

My old hometown of Papillion, NE, in the Omaha area, has Washington Street as its main street. Going north or south leads to 84th Street. Previously in history, 6th Street became Cornhusker Road going east or west out of town, but when they extended it to run into 108th Street, that created a second 108th and Cornhusker intersection a mile to the north of the original one, which was a no-no, so now it's Portal Road.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Flint1979

Quote from: lepidopteran on April 23, 2020, 04:52:09 PM

Where does it ever change from being Southfield though?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.