News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most needed Interstate or Interstate extension

Started by ibthebigd, February 01, 2020, 06:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibthebigd

What Interstate is most pressing to be built or completed.

I think I-11 between Las Vegas and Phoenix should be up there.

If it's even possible for I-11 from Las Vegas to Reno also.

I-69 completion to Houston should be considered also.

SM-G950U

-- US 175 --

* I-27: more (if not all) in both directions
* I-45: farther north, at least to Sherman or Durant
* I-49: remaining parts
* I-69: as much of (if not all of) remaining parts
* US 287 corridor: between Amarillo and Fort Worth

TheOneKEA

I-70 should be extended from the Baltimore City line to the former I-170 stub in West Baltimore.

It will never, ever happen, though.

sprjus4

This would be better off as a Fictional Highways thread...

...Nonetheless...

- Extension of I-97 along the US-301 corridor from US-50 at Annapolis, MD to I-95 at Ruther Glen, VA.
- I-73 between Myrtle Beach, SC and I-81 at Roanoke, VA
- Interstate corridor along the US-74 corridor between I-26 at Columbus, NC and I-40 at Wilmington, NC.
- Interstate corridor along the US-17 corridor between I-64 at Chesapeake, VA and US-17 at Myrtle Beach, SC.
- I-69E between Brownsville, TX and US-77 at Victoria, TX (should be designated solely I-69)
- I-69C between McAllen, TX and I-37 at George West, TX (should be designed solely I-39, I-41, or I-43)
- I-69W between Freer, TX and Laredo, TX (should be designated solely I-4 or I-6)
- I-69 spur along the SH-44 corridor between SH-358 at Corpus Christi, TX and Freer, TX (should be designated solely I-4 or I-6)
- I-69 between US-77 at Victoria, TX and I-20 at Shreveport, LA.
- I-369 between US-59 at Tenaha, TX and I-30 at Texarkana, TX.

Max Rockatansky

I'd argue that I-11 isn't the priority it's cracked up to be given how much US 93 has improved this century.  Off the top of my head I'd say I-710 to I-210 but that's essentially been tendered a dead issue. 

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Occidental Tourist

Interstate whatever (9?, 13?) between the Calexico East Point of Entry and the 10 in Indio.

sparker

I'd posit an extension of I-40 west from I-15 at Barstow through Bakersfield to I-5 would be the most useful out West; as an adjunct, I'd extend and sign CA 14 from that new route near Mojave down to I-5 as I-340, simply to provide a continuous Interstate-signed 2nd access point from the east into greater L.A. 
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on February 01, 2020, 04:32:55 PM
Interstate whatever (9?, 13?) between the Calexico East Point of Entry and the 10 in Indio.

That would be most useful if extended up CA 111, over CA 78, and then up CA 86 to I-10 near Indio; it would actually benefit I-10 traffic (both directions) by providing a full freeway path down to I-8 to serve as a functional Phoenix bypass.  What to number it? --  anyone's guess; 13's probably as good as any.

texaskdog

RobbieL2415

An I-95 super bypass on the Delmarva, from the Del. Men. Bridge to VA Beach.

cwf1701

My I-98 Proposal, from Sault Ste. Marie MI to the Twin Cities of MN. If Built with an extended Ontario Highway 417, it could be a northern Bypass for trucks going from Montreal to I-35 (a northern route for trucks to avoid Toronto, Detroit, and Chicago). This could also lead the way for I-63 from Mackinac City Mi to Indianapolis IN.

ilpt4u

Not much love here for the I-57 extension from Sikeston to Little Rock, with the most major needed upgrade section being Poplar Bluff to Walnut Ridge

I'm a fan of the Dallas-Chicago I-30/I-57 Corridor

vdeane

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 01, 2020, 07:41:59 AM
All the examples from the OP were real, ongoing interstate proposals.  I'm pretty sure the OP was asking which REAL interstate proposals were the most needed, not to propose additional ones.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Revive 755

sparker

Quote from: vdeane on February 01, 2020, 10:10:57 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on February 01, 2020, 07:41:59 AM
All the examples from the OP were real, ongoing interstate proposals.  I'm pretty sure the OP was asking which REAL interstate proposals were the most needed, not to propose additional ones.

If that's the case, then the OP was ambiguous at best.  If it only concerns existing Interstate proposals (and I'll take that to include any HPC's that have Interstate designation attached), then the one that will provide the greatest benefit would be the full completion of I-69 from Indianapolis down to Memphis, followed closely by a more southerly section of the same corridor from Houston to Shreveport and/or Texarkana. 

MikieTimT

US-412 between I-44 in Tulsa and I-49 in Lowell/Springdale.  No less than 20,000 vehicles AADT in the Arkansas stretch, but it would certainly pick up with an Interstate designation.  Too bad the opportunity was missed to bypass Siloam Springs like Tontitown and Springdale are getting bypassed.  The only part of the entire trip that drops below 15,000 AADT is about 10 miles west of the AR/OK border in OK.  It's all pretty much 4 lane roads already, and has a decent speed limit except for the incomplete/non bypasses.

TEG24601

The only one that really pops in my head is I-72 from Peoria to Toledo along the US 24/IN 25 Corridor.

It would be nice to replace I-82(W) with I-11 or a 3-DI, of an upgraded US 395 to I-11, but I doubt that will ever happen.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 01, 2020, 10:28:52 PM
The Illiana Tollway (sign it as an I-x55).

That, I'll concur with.  Damn the NIMBYs and build it in spite of them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

texaskdog

Quote from: cwf1701 on February 01, 2020, 09:36:01 PM
My I-98 Proposal, from Sault Ste. Marie MI to the Twin Cities of MN. If Built with an extended Ontario Highway 417, it could be a northern Bypass for trucks going from Montreal to I-35 (a northern route for trucks to avoid Toronto, Detroit, and Chicago). This could also lead the way for I-63 from Mackinac City Mi to Indianapolis IN.

Great idea but I'd rather see it Fargo>Duluth>SSM then it would connect straight across and get you to the west coast

Konza

Another plug for the Avenue of the Saints.  Let's connect the Twin Cities to St. Louis (and New Orleans) as well as they are connected to Kansas City (and the big cities in Texas).
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

sparker

Quote from: Konza on February 05, 2020, 04:11:37 PM
Another plug for the Avenue of the Saints.  Let's connect the Twin Cities to St. Louis (and New Orleans) as well as they are connected to Kansas City (and the big cities in Texas).

Since that corridor (HPC #2) is already either full freeway or expressway for most of its length, it's surprising some enterprising parties (likely from IA, considering the cities it serves) haven't endeavored to append an Interstate designation to it as of yet.   If it were my call, the future designation would be I-51. 

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 01, 2020, 06:48:34 PM
You mean like the southern I-99 proposal on Wikipedia?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Great Lakes Roads

What if I-67 became a reality of a freeway upgrade of U.S. 31 between Indianapolis and South Bend? Heck, I would extend it up to Grand Rapids via all of I-196!

frankenroad

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 01, 2020, 06:48:34 PM

Which would be a legitimate I-99. 
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 08, 2020, 12:46:04 AM
What if I-67 became a reality of a freeway upgrade of U.S. 31 between Indianapolis and South Bend? Heck, I would extend it up to Grand Rapids via all of I-196!
I've also heard of proposals for extending I-67 down I-69, US 231, and I-165 to Bowling Green.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.