News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Primary state highways functionally classified as minor collector roads

Started by Aaron Camp, February 04, 2020, 10:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Camp

Most primary state highways (I'm not counting secondary state highways, an example being Missouri's lettered supplemental routes, or the Interstate or U.S. numbered highway systems) tend to be functionally classified as either expressways, other principal arterials, minor arterials, or major collectors. Rarely is a primary state highway classified as a minor collector, although I found one example in Indiana. The entirety of IN-166 in the far southern part of Indiana has not been decommissioned by INDOT as far as I know, despite the fact that IN-166 is functionally classified as a minor collector (Indiana functional road classification map can be found here).

Are there any other instances of a primary state highway being functionally classified as a minor collector anywhere else in the country?

Bitmapped

Ohio has its classification maps available at http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Planning/ProgramManagement/MajorPrograms/Pages/RoadwayFunctionalClass.aspx. There are a ton of examples of state routes that are classified as minor collectors.

Pennsylvania also examples in rural parts of the state, like sections of PA 915, PA 928, and PA 484 in Fulton County.

I don't believe there are any examples in West Virginia: https://gis.transportation.wv.gov/ftp/FunctionalClassMaps/Federal_Functional_Class.pdf

Rothman

I am pretty sure this is the case in a few spots in NY, but don't know any offhand...NYSDOT does have a functional class viewer out there.

Wait...maybe NY 183?

I believe rural minor collectors are not eligible for federal aid.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mrcmc888

DE 15 is a minor collector road for most of its journey in Delaware.  DE 82 is also a minor collector road from the Pennsylvania border until its designation as Campbell Road east of Hockessin.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on February 04, 2020, 10:28:11 PM
I am pretty sure this is the case in a few spots in NY, but don't know any offhand...NYSDOT does have a functional class viewer out there.

Wait...maybe NY 183?

I believe rural minor collectors are not eligible for federal aid.
The part of NY 32 between NY 423 and US 4 in Schuylerville is one.  The east end of NY 151 is another, as is all of NY 160.  It's actually amazing how common this is.

Then there's NY 421, which is rural local!  I wonder if there are any others of those out there.

Link to the Functional Class Viewer: https://gis3.dot.ny.gov/html5viewer/?viewer=FC

Correct, local roads and rural minor collectors are not federal aid eligible (in terms of NY functional class, 8, 9, and 19).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.