News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Question about NationalPass (Tolling)

Started by Dustin DeWinn, February 07, 2020, 10:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin DeWinn

National Pass is supposed to be the toll interoperability solution that will resolve issues of TX tolls not accepting SunPass or EZPass, vice versa and every other compatibility issue.

https://www.nationalpass.net/

Does anyone know if the idea is to sell yet another tolling plan, requiring a new transponder, or is designed to be seamless so that each agency can function as they do now, and users can keep their current accounts?

In other words, once launched, do I need to buy a National Pass (R) device, or just continuing using what I do now, and once deployed and implemented I'm good to go anywhere?

Hope that makes sense.

vdeane

It's a separate tag, with not only the cost to buy it, but also a fairly hefty monthly fee.  It doesn't really sound practical for most people.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NationalPass
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

NationalPass is a third-party transponder that is not endorsed by any agency. Basically, it's a fleet tag similar to what many trucking companies have that works in most states with electronic tolling. The fleet account is charged the transponder rate in every jurisdiction, with NationalPass charging $35 for the transponder, plus $8-11 per month as a service fee depending on usage. If you're using rental cars frequently in places where the transponder discount is massive or tolls are only AET and said agency doesn't allow you to move transponders between vehicles, this might be worthwhile. Otherwise, you're just better off picking up a portable transponder from each agency (like many roadgeeks and frequent travelers currently do).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.