News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Airports in the US without access to a limited-access highway

Started by TheGrassGuy, February 07, 2020, 05:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 08, 2020, 09:08:10 AM
The OP specified "freeways"  which is a limited access road that's free to use.  417 and 528 would definitely fall under the definition of limited access.
The term "freeway" has nothing to do with tolls or not. Free indicates free of obstruction, free of access, free-flow, etc.

FL-417 and FL-528 are toll freeways.

sbeaver44

Numbers represent annual passenger volume

In Pennsylvania,
ERI (Erie-Tom Ridge) 189k
IPT (Williamsport) 40k
SCE (Penn State/University Park) 230k

Debatable depending on what you consider "served by"

ABE (Lehigh Valley) 912k. -- Off US 22, but must use PA 987 and traffic lights
AVP (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton) 532k -- Off I-81, but must use PA 315 through several roundabouts

MSN (Madison-Dane) in Wisconsin - 2.268 million
a few miles from I-90 but requires several surface roads

1995hoo

Charlottesville (CHO) is accessed via a roundabout that connects to surface streets. The nearest major road is US-29, which at that point isn't really expressway-grade, either.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 08, 2020, 04:03:12 PM
The OP specified "freeways"  which is a limited access road that's free to use.  417 and 528 would definitely fall under the definition of limited access.
The term "freeway" has nothing to do with tolls or not. Free indicates free of obstruction, free of access, free-flow, etc.

FL-417 and FL-528 are toll freeways.

Yes, but as noted above that definition isn't universal along with numerous other terminology with roads.  Example; out west an expressway can be anything that has a grade separation even if it isn't free flowing.  Out East the term is more synonymous with what most people would consider a full limited access freeway. 

Big John

^^ and in Illinois, The Tri-State Tollway would not be called a freeway.

hbelkins

Bluegrass Field in Lexington. Access is via Man O'War Boulevard, which empties into Versailles Road (US 60). It's about seven miles from both the Bluegrass Parkway (via US 60) and I-75/I-64 (via US 60, KY 4/New Circle Road, and KY 922).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Occidental Tourist

I'm not sure what the difference between partial access and full access is in the OP, but John Wayne Airport has a direct connector to the terminal from the 55 Freeway southbound and a direct exit from the terminal to the 55 Freeway northbound.

1995hoo

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 08, 2020, 05:01:49 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 07, 2020, 08:35:37 PM
Orlando International Airport is off of FL 528 and FL 417 which are both tollways.
Those are still freeways.

They aren't "free,"  in the case of 528 there is even a tollbooth just east of Conway Road which stops the majority of people from going to MCO from getting there without having to pay a toll.  The OP specified "freeways"  which is a limited access road that's free to use.  417 and 528 would definitely fall under the definition of limited access. 

This is the sort of comment I'd expect to see in the comments below a newspaper article, not on this forum. "Freeway" here is used in a more technical sense that doesn't necessarily comport with regional customs around the country (I mean, I'll say "freeway" here but I never use that term in everyday speech) and I'm kind of surprised to see a longtime poster trying to claim toll roads can't be "freeways"–I'm surprised enough that it makes me think this comment was intended to be trolling or a joke.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MikeTheActuary

Airports I've transited that haven't been mentioned

DHN (Dothan, AL) - access is via 2-lane road
ATW (Appleton, WI) - access via choice of 4-lane surface arterial, or a 4-lane "expressway" (not controlled access)
DLH (Duluth, MN) - access via surface arterials only
BTV (Burlington, VT) - access via surface arterials only
TUS (Tuscaloosa, AL) - ditto...and they don't have commercial air service anymore

michravera

Quote from: oscar on February 07, 2020, 06:51:06 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 07, 2020, 05:44:51 PM
Airports in the US without freeway access:

Maui Kahului Airport (OGG)

Maui doesn't have any freeways. Nor do any of the other Hawaiian islands except Oahu (HNL has a direct link to Interstate H-1). KOA (Big Island) and LIH (Kauai) are major airports nowhere near a freeway, but with non-stop flights to the mainland and even international destinations.

For Alaska, Anchorage has freeways, but no freeway-level links to its international airport. Closest is International Airport Road, with two sets of stoplights plus an active at-grade railroad crossing between the airport and the nearest freeway.

Ha! Anchorage Airport *IS* the freeway as far as most rural Alaskans are concerned!

michravera

Airports in the US without access to a limited-access highway:
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) - S Sepulveda Blvd isn't really a freeway, but you can get to I-105 without any at-grade junctions
Charlotte-Douglas International Airport (CLT) - I guess John Birmingham Pkwy is sort of a freeway, but it doesn't connect to any other freeways
Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS) - Paradise Rd isn't really a freeway, but you can get to I-215 without any at-grade junctions
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) - W G Rogell Dr isn't really a freeway, and you need to get through a few at-grades to get to I-94
LaGuardia Airport (LGA) - I don't know if that will still be true after the reconstruction project
Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA) - Richmond Highway isn't really a freeway, and you need to get through a few at-grades to get to I-395
William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
Oakland International Airport (OAK)
Louis Armstrong International Airport (MSY) - Terminal Dr isn't really a freeway, and you need to get through a few at-grades and a diamond interchange to get to I-10.
Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) - Aviation Pkwy isn't really a freeway, but you can get to I-540 without any at-grade junctions
John Wayne Orange County Airport (SNA)
Dallas Love Field (DAL)
Maui Kahului Airport (OGG)

Airports in the US with partial access to a limited-access highway:
San Diego International Airport (SAN) - NB exit and SB entrance off of I-5 only
Portland International Airport (PDX) - NB exit and SB entrance off of I-205 only
St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL) - Parclo interchange with I-70
Nashville International Airport (BNA) - EB exit and WB entrance off of I-40 only
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) - Diamond interchange with TX-71 Toll
Kansas City International Airport (MCI) - NB exit and SB entrance off of I-29 only
Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC) - SPUI interchange with CA-87
Sacramento International Airport (SMF) - Parclo interchange with I-5
San Antonio International Airport (SAT) - NB exit off of US-281 only
Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) - Terminal Access Rd isn't really a freeway, and you need to get through an at-grade to get to I-75
Cleveland Hopkins International Airport (CLE) - SB exit off of OH-237 only

The question is "what do you mean by 'access'"? If "access" requires a freeway exit to "Airport Road" or the equivalent then Fresno (no direct exit) and Monterey (not freeway) would probably qualify. Santa Cruz/Watsonville would also fit that definition.

The irony is that San Martin, CA and Rancho Cordova would both qualify as *having* access under my definition.   

lepidopteran

Quote from: renegade on February 07, 2020, 09:09:41 PM
Toledo Express Airport (OH) does not have immediate freeway access.
TOL does have an exit off the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/90), albeit separated by a signalized intersection with SR-2.

See also this post for history and details of access to TOL, along with DAY and CMH.

Konza

Tucson (TUS) and Omaha (OMA) also belong on this list.

Both are close to freeways, but you're going to encounter traffic lights between the freeway exit and the airport terminal entrance.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

deathtopumpkins

Haven't seen much mention of New England:

• Boston Logan - freeway access
  • Worcester - miles away from the nearest freeway, accessed via 2-lane roads
  • TF Green (Providence) - freeway access
  • Barnstable - accessed via surface streets (off MA 132)
  • Bradley - freeway access (though I hear this may have changed with the current construction?)
  • Manchester - despite the new connector road, there's still 1 signal and 2 roundabouts between the terminal and the Everett Turnpike
  • Burlington - accessed via surface streets (off US 2)
  • Portland Jetport - accessed via Jetport Blvd, which meets the Maine Turnpike at a parclo (between which and the terminal there is one signal and one stop sign)
  • Bangor - accessed via surface streets (off ME 222)

And elsewhere - none of the airports in Atlantic Canada have freeway access.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

skluth

Quote from: Big John on February 08, 2020, 07:18:53 PM
True. But if you're being pedantic, the last bit of I-190 west of Mannheim Road which ends at O'Hare is technically freeway. I base this on as an extension of the words of a toll attendant on the westernmost WB I-90 toll plaza (Northwest Tollway) circa 1968. My father had said something to her about being grateful to leaving Illinois and returning to Wisconsin which didn't have tollways. Her response was something like, "Oh no, sir. There's still four miles of Illinois freeway before you get to Wisconsin."   :rolleyes: :spin:

Brandon

Quote from: Big John on February 08, 2020, 07:18:53 PM

However, O'Hare is directly accessed by the Kennedy Expressway, a non-toll freeway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

doorknob60

Airports in the US with partial access to a limited-access highway:
Portland International Airport (PDX) - NB exit and SB entrance off of I-205 only

I disagree, Airport Way has an at grade intersection with 82nd before you get to the airport proper.

cl94

New York:
JFK - freeway access
LGA - freeway access (well, parkway)
SWF (Newburgh) - despite the relatively-new exit, it's still a few miles on surface roads between the terminal and I-84
ALB - Comes close with the new exit, but 3 lights
SYR - 1 light between I-81 and the terminal
ROC - multiple at-grades
BUF - 1 light

New Jersey:
EWR (Newark) - freeway access from both the Turnpike and I-78 via a freeway section of US 1/9
Atlantic City - several signalized intersections, including a signalized circle

Pennsylvania:
PHL - freeway access
PGH - freeway access
Harrisburg - freeway access
Scranton - roundabouts and at-grades
Allentown - several at-grades
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 10, 2020, 11:16:10 AM
Bradley - freeway access (though I hear this may have changed with the current construction?)

While the Bradley Connector has been trimmed, the controlled-access roadway still ends at airport terminal roadways.

Occidental Tourist

And while John Wayne does have direct access to parts of the 55 without a stoplight, these So Cal Airports do not have such unfettered access:

Long Beach - a couple of blocks north of the 405 on a surface routing with stoplights;
Burbank - about a mile east of the 5 on a surface routing with stoplights and turns;
Ontario - a couple of stoplights south of the 10;

Sky Harbor is an interesting one.  Arguably it has direct access to AZ 143, AZ 202, and I-10. 

US71

Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2020, 01:05:29 PM
Are we talking direct freeway access? ROC (Greater Rochester Int'l) connects only to NY 204/Brooks Ave, a surface boulevard. Sure, it's a mere stone's throw from there to I-390 Exit 18, but you do have to use an undivided non-freeway to get there.

But then, why would we need direct freeway access? Our airport is not nearly as important as, say, JFK, or the big hubs like ATL and ORD.

Is there a minimum distance? I-49 is about 15 miles from XNA.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Duke87

Airports in the US without access to a limited-access highway:
LaGuardia Airport (LGA) - I don't know if that will still be true after the reconstruction project

LGA definitely has freeway access. By what measure are you arguing it doesn't?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on February 10, 2020, 07:28:19 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 10, 2020, 11:16:10 AM
Bradley - freeway access (though I hear this may have changed with the current construction?)

While the Bradley Connector has been trimmed, the controlled-access roadway still ends at airport terminal roadways.

Even with the pre-trimmed Connector, Bradley has always required at-grade access into the terminal.  Before the airport expansion (3-4 decades back), it was a simple at-grade intersection.  Post-expansion, it has required a jughandle left turn off of Schoephoester Rd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.