News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What highway do you most closely associate with?

Started by thspfc, March 13, 2020, 09:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

What highway will always be #1 to you, for whatever reason? For me it's US-51.

hotdogPi

I don't closely associate with any highway for fear of getting the coronavirus.

Seriously, MA 110.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

US 66 since I've traveled so many alignment variations it was on in the Western States.  US 99 is rapidly climbing towards the top given how much I feature it on Gribblenation.  I never really lived anywhere long enough to have a true life long association with any particular road.  Some other highways that have some personal significance; US 7, US 202, US 12, US 27, I-96, US 60, AZ 101, AZ 51, FL 50, US 1, I-4, US 41, CA 41, CA 180, and CA 198.

bing101

I-80! for obvious reasons and I-280 because my childhood home is near that freeway.

jp the roadgeek

I-84, since it seems I'm on it most days and I'm a complex person like the multitude of terrains it traverses.  Plus, I don't need the spotlight like I-95.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Some one

Probably I-45, since I've made so many drives up and down that freeway and that's the freeway I'm most familiar with.

Though US 59 would be a close contender.

Flint1979

I-75. I've lived near it all my life and ride on a part of it everyday.

Also I know every curve, overpass and exit from downtown Detroit to Bay City.

CtrlAltDel

It's a tossup between I-290 and I-294 in the greater Chicago area.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

renegade

I-94.  It seems I am on it nearly every day, but only in the eastbound direction for some odd reason.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

sparker

CA 99 and US 99 before that.   Trekking up and down that road from L.A. to Sacramento, starting from when my first lasting memories kicked in ca. 1955 or so cemented my interest in roads -- particularly watching it go from a 2 (and sometimes 3!)-lane street/road to the freeway that it is today.   Even though my ventures over it number in the multiple hundreds, I still enjoy my time on 99 -- always find something I haven't seen before (even the adjacent and nascent HSR structures around Fresno -- just another thing to get pissed about!).   And I always like crossing CA 198 -- to me, that's the effective dividing line between Southern and Northern California! -- and it just isn't the same on I-5;  NB on that road, I know the odor of the Harris Ranch feedlot is coming right up!

J3ebrules

Even though other roads are fascinating, and I love learning their history and my bucket list involves old alignments and nooks and crannies across the country, the NJ Turnpike will always be my road back home.

I mean, literally and figuratively, if you want to get technical.

But yeah, I've been up and down several times from childhood - it connected my family from PA to NY, it was the site of 16 year old me's first high speed highway merger... where I predictably almost caused my oh-shit-handle-clutching mother a coronary when I over-enthusiastically gunned the gas. I'll always have a strong affinity for the NJ Turnpike, the somewhat scoliotic spine of New Jersey.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

DandyDan

Currently I-35 as that is the highway out of the area and also you can see where I work from there.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

TheGrassGuy

I-78
I-87
I-95
I-287
US 202
US 206

Hmm... I don't know.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

hotdogPi

I've noticed that most people here have listed an Interstate. However, it's definitely MA 110 for me. Here's why: I live very close to MA 110. My commute to UMass Lowell by bus is mostly on MA 110, so I'm on it almost every weekday. I also like 45 mph surface roads with no traffic lights, and I think there should be more of them; MA 110 through Dracut and near the Methuen/Haverhill line are two segments like this.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Rothman

I really don't know.

MA 9?  Grew up along it.
I-90?  Most of my life has occurred along it somewhere.
I-95?  Traveled up and down it very frequently.
I-81?  Traveling through the land of my ancestors... :D

It's one of those.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

index

US 74. That highway raised me as a little kid. Did and went to so many things along it that I have memories of now. It takes me everywhere and I also learned to drive on it.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Flint1979

I also have M-58 and M-84 that are close to me. Both use to be other highways. M-84 took over for part of M-47 and M-58 took over for US-10 and M-47. In fact the only stretch of M-47 original to that highway is the short stretch between M-58 and M-46.

TEG24601

An interesting thought...

I would say WA's SR 525, 526, and 20, as those are the roads I know best.  But I also have a soft spot for IN's SR 18, 218, and 25, as well as the former SR 18/25/39/US 421 Multiplex.  Additionally, MI's M-21 and M-24, given my time spent in Flint and Lake Orīon.  And finally, US 24 and I-69 which were frequent travels for me between college and my Uncle's farm in Indiana.

I never really identified with any of the Oregon routes I lived near, nor the long-distance Interstates.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Ketchup99

This might be blasphemy, but for me it's the Bud Shuster Abomination Porkbarrel Expressway I-576? I-99. I've lived in State College since I was two and 99 has been a thing ever since I was little. When I was pretty young the I-99 designation was added to the US-220 freeway, and I didn't understand how we could take 99 north, drive EAST, and get on 95. Most of what I remember of driving from when I was a kid is on I-99, and the first time I got onto a highway in the front left seat (fine, it was six months ago) was I-99. So I'd say I associate myself more with I-99 than any other highway.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

-- US 175 --

Beltway

I-95.  All the areas I have lived other than my original of Chicago, are served by I-95.

Melbourne, FL
Alexandria, VA
Philadelphia, PA
Petersburg, VA
Richmond, VA
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on March 14, 2020, 01:32:25 AM
CA 99 and US 99 before that.   Trekking up and down that road from L.A. to Sacramento, starting from when my first lasting memories kicked in ca. 1955 or so cemented my interest in roads -- particularly watching it go from a 2 (and sometimes 3!)-lane street/road to the freeway that it is today.   Even though my ventures over it number in the multiple hundreds, I still enjoy my time on 99 -- always find something I haven't seen before (even the adjacent and nascent HSR structures around Fresno -- just another thing to get pissed about!).   And I always like crossing CA 198 -- to me, that's the effective dividing line between Southern and Northern California! -- and it just isn't the same on I-5;  NB on that road, I know the odor of the Harris Ranch feedlot is coming right up!

The last thing I expected in this thread was to see CA 198 twice.  Criminally underrated scenic highway in the Diablos and surprisingly important highway in the Central Valley. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.