News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Any roads closed due to COVID-19?

Started by ftballfan, March 19, 2020, 06:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Washington Gov. Inslee explicitly mentioned "going for a drive" outside your local area as a thing not to do during the pandemic. If you are an asymptomatic carrier and stop for any reason (gas, food, bathroom), you could be bringing th virus to a vulnerable rural community that does not have adequate facilities to handle an outbreak. We've already seen it happen in Skagit County (and other people fleeing the metro area may be bringing it to other corners of the state).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on March 27, 2020, 10:47:03 PM
Washington Gov. Inslee explicitly mentioned "going for a drive" outside your local area as a thing not to do during the pandemic. If you are an asymptomatic carrier and stop for any reason (gas, food, bathroom), you could be bringing th virus to a vulnerable rural community that does not have adequate facilities to handle an outbreak. We've already seen it happen in Skagit County (and other people fleeing the metro area may be bringing it to other corners of the state).

See that's the thing, not all states under "stay at home"  are sending the same message.  As mentioned above there are actual agencies in California encouraging the practice of taking a drive.  For reference when I did the Parkfield Grade a week before the shut down here I only encountered two other cars.  That's a more of a "bag your own lunch"  and "pee outside"  kind of road.  At least the way I see it there is a massive difference before driving out onto the true boondocks versus a town or city. 

webny99

"Going for a drive" is an inherently nuanced topic.
If this wears on into summer, which seems likely, I may be heading for some outdoor activities, and not necessarily ones just around the corner, either. So say I go on a 2-3 hour trip, do some hiking in the mountains, and use a public restroom or gas station or two along the way. I don't see anything wrong with that, provided I'm feeling fine, sanitize often, and don't come in close contact with anyone at high risk before or afterwards.

I would agree that a distinction needs to be made based on what your destination is and what you plan to do there. It doesn't seem like a wise time to travel to a large city for any reason, but I don't see anything wrong with enjoying nature/recreation in a rural area while maintaining social distancing. How far away from home you do so is not a particularly relevant piece of information; I imagine many of us will be looking for a chance to escape our own neighborhoods before too many more months pass.

dgolub

Quote from: webny99 on March 28, 2020, 12:49:08 AM
"Going for a drive" is an inherently nuanced topic.
If this wears on into summer, which seems likely, I may be heading for some outdoor activities, and not necessarily ones just around the corner, either. So say I go on a 2-3 hour trip, do some hiking in the mountains, and use a public restroom or gas station or two along the way. I don't see anything wrong with that, provided I'm feeling fine, sanitize often, and don't come in close contact with anyone at high risk before or afterwards.

I would agree that a distinction needs to be made based on what your destination is and what you plan to do there. It doesn't seem like a wise time to travel to a large city for any reason, but I don't see anything wrong with enjoying nature/recreation in a rural area while maintaining social distancing. How far away from home you do so is not a particularly relevant piece of information; I imagine many of us will be looking for a chance to escape our own neighborhoods before too many more months pass.

The catch is that is you're from an area with a large outbreak (which I am, given that I live near NYC), it may make sense to avoid going to rural areas so that the people there aren't exposed to any risk from me.  Also, I've been avoiding public restrooms for the last 2-3 weeks, and it's hard to do that if you're out all day.

dgolub

NYC is experimenting with closing some streets in order to make it easier for people to practice social distancing while walking: https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/nyc-street-closures-begin-friday-help-stop-coronavirus-spread

UCFKnights

Quote from: vdeane on March 27, 2020, 09:13:02 PM
Quote from: Bruce on March 27, 2020, 04:06:38 PM
You should not be leaving your home unless it's for essential work, grocery shopping (kept to a bare minimum in terms of frequency and number of stores), and exercise while practicing social distancing. Doing otherwise puts the entire community in danger.
If they want people to keep frequency and number of stores to a minimum, they're going to have to bring back ration coupons in order to keep the shelves from being picked clean.  While I was able to do a lot more of my grocery shopping at Hannaford this week than in the prior two, it still wasn't everything.  That would also enable the stores to close later (since there wouldn't be as much to restock), enabling greater social distancing.
Since rationing was implemented where I live and reduced the maximum occupancy of all stores by 90%. I used to go to the grocery store once a week and buy 5 gallons of milk. Now I have to go everyday due to the limits. And as I can't find any, I now have to go to multiple stores to get it.  My grocery store visits are definitely up 20x as a result of this crises. I've noticed as stores put more things on the purchase limits, nearly every customer seems to buy those items while they're in stock, its just making the problem worse. Unfortunately human psychology just exacerbates the problem the more rationing that is implemented. I know my neighbors are now travelling out of county for grocery store shopping since the restrictions the government imposed make it so difficult, and neighboring counties without the rules have many less issues.... how's that supposed to help contain the spread of the virus?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: UCFKnights on March 28, 2020, 01:04:12 PM
You should not be leaving your home unless it's for essential work, grocery shopping (kept to a bare minimum in terms of frequency and number of stores), and exercise while practicing social distancing. Doing otherwise puts the entire community in danger.
If they want people to keep frequency and number of stores to a minimum, they're going to have to bring back ration coupons in order to keep the shelves from being picked clean.  While I was able to do a lot more of my grocery shopping at Hannaford this week than in the prior two, it still wasn't everything.  That would also enable the stores to close later (since there wouldn't be as much to restock), enabling greater social distancing.
Since rationing was implemented where I live and reduced the maximum occupancy of all stores by 90%. I used to go to the grocery store once a week and buy 5 gallons of milk. Now I have to go everyday due to the limits. And as I can't find any, I now have to go to multiple stores to get it.  My grocery store visits are definitely up 20x as a result of this crises. I've noticed as stores put more things on the purchase limits, nearly every customer seems to buy those items while they're in stock, its just making the problem worse. Unfortunately human psychology just exacerbates the problem the more rationing that is implemented. I know my neighbors are now travelling out of county for grocery store shopping since the restrictions the government imposed make it so difficult, and neighboring counties without the rules have many less issues.... how's that supposed to help contain the spread of the virus?

For the minority of people, it can present issues.  Most people aren't buying 5 gallons of milk, for example.  After shopping last week, I haven't had to go all week, except to pick up another gallon of milk, ironically, but I can do that in a nearby convenience store without an issue.

UCFKnights

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 28, 2020, 01:23:01 PM

For the minority of people, it can present issues.  Most people aren't buying 5 gallons of milk, for example.  After shopping last week, I haven't had to go all week, except to pick up another gallon of milk, ironically, but I can do that in a nearby convenience store without an issue.
From talking with neighbors, it sounds like I'm far from alone in massively increasing my grocery store visits as a result of the rationing policies. I know its anecdotal, but the lines at the grocery stores and completely empty shelves on literally every item that has a "quantity limit" seem to provide more evidence, and I've been told one county over where they aren't implementing such policies its not nearly as bad. While people are obeying the order for the most part with everything else, grocery stores and Walmarts and the like are clearly just way more crowded then usual.

hbelkins

WSDOT is delaying work on clearing snow over SR 20 and some other closed pass routes, so I guess that counts.

Quote from: texaskdog on March 27, 2020, 04:00:27 PM
The original intent was not to gather in groups of 10 or more.  Some people interpret this into not leaving your house, which is unacceptable.

The official CDC/HHS guidelines say otherwise.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2020, 09:39:22 PM
WSDOT is delaying work on clearing snow over SR 20 and some other closed pass routes, so I guess that counts.

Quote from: texaskdog on March 27, 2020, 04:00:27 PM
The original intent was not to gather in groups of 10 or more.  Some people interpret this into not leaving your house, which is unacceptable.

The official CDC/HHS guidelines say otherwise.

Guidance is usually a minimum standard.

vdeane

Quote from: UCFKnights on March 28, 2020, 03:24:29 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 28, 2020, 01:23:01 PM

From talking with neighbors, it sounds like I'm far from alone in massively increasing my grocery store visits as a result of the rationing policies. I know its anecdotal, but the lines at the grocery stores and completely empty shelves on literally every item that has a "quantity limit" seem to provide more evidence, and I've been told one county over where they aren't implementing such policies its not nearly as bad. While people are obeying the order for the most part with everything else, grocery stores and Walmarts and the like are clearly just way more crowded then usual.
I wasn't talking about the purchase limits that some stores have implemented.  I'm talking about bonafide ration books, like what was used in World War II.  No getting around the limit by going out more often or to different stores with those things!

I've had to massively expand the amount of grocery store visits I do too, but not because of purchase limits or to stock up - instead, it's just because the shelves are bare, and I can't find everything I need for my normal weekly (well, every six days, because that's how long a carton of eggs lasts me) grocery run in one store anymore due to the hoarders.  Seriously people, if we all do our part, supply chains won't break down, and if you get quarantined, simply have a friend bring you groceries or have them delivered (unfortunately, though, at least one local grocery store had to discontinue delivery service so they could reassign those people to help restock the shelves to deal with the panic buyers... so congratulations hoarders, you're not only hindering the abilities of regular people to find things, you've made it impossible for socially isolated quarantined people to get food!).  No need to panic buy and hoard.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Bruce

The state's orders override what the CDC recommends. We know our situation better than them (especially since they are being held back from doing the right thing because of the current administration).

Instead of road closures, WSDOT has cancelled all work on its road projects in the state despite being cleared as an essential activity. A few other major public construction jobs have resumed but with stricter cleaning guidelines (which still aren't enough, going by the concerns raised by workers and unions).

hbelkins

Can't think of which North Carolina county it is, but the one that borders Tennessee that has state line crossings on US 129 and the Cherohala Skyway has placed physical concrete barriers on both roads.

US71

None in Arkansas, to my knowledge
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on March 29, 2020, 11:08:34 PM
Can't think of which North Carolina county it is, but the one that borders Tennessee that has state line crossings on US 129 and the Cherohala Skyway has placed physical concrete barriers on both roads.

This one? Or maybe this one.

Each county contains one of the crossings you mention. Looking at it a little more closely, though, both of the closures are in Graham County. The problem is that the closure on US 129 is not at the Tennessee line. It's at the Little Tennessee River crossing, the other side of which is actually Swain County NC, not Tennessee. So you could simply do this, catch US 129 on the other side of the closure, and still use the US 129 crossing from NC into Tennessee.

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota has none. Some residents of Cook County have asked for a closure of MN 61 at the Lake County line as it's possibly the only passable road into the county this time of year, but the county commissioners say they don't have the authority.

Although now that I think about it Minneapolis has closed some streets to encourage distancing amongst walkers.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on March 28, 2020, 10:46:35 PM
I wasn't talking about the purchase limits that some stores have implemented.  I'm talking about bonafide ration books, like what was used in World War II.  No getting around the limit by going out more often or to different stores with those things!

Looking through that page, I can't imagine anything like that working these days. You're...supposed to declare how much sugar you have to the Ration Board so they can start you off with fewer stamps if you already have some? What would they do if you say "I have no sugar", come to your house and dig around in the cabinets?  Same goes with the "detached coupons are VOID" that is repeated on every one of those–can't imagine a modern store would turn down a sale because detached coupons are supposed to be void. It'd be too much of a hassle to argue with the customer, especially if management made it known that they wouldn't support a cashier trying to enforce the restriction.

I guess back then people were more concerned about following the rules and not as much about maximizing the amount of sugar they owned.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kurumi

CT 160 and 148 are closed at the ferry crossings:
Quote from: CTDOT e-Alert: News from the Connecticut Department of Transportation
Connecticut River Ferry Service Suspended
Posted on March 30 , 2020

Service on the two Connecticut River ferries -- between Glastonbury and Rocky Hill, and Chester and Hadlyme -- has been suspended indefinitely during the Coronavirus COVID-19 crisis. The service typically operates from April 1 to November 30 each year. Check back for service updates.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 30, 2020, 04:33:21 AMSame goes with the "detached coupons are VOID" that is repeated on every one of those–can't imagine a modern store would turn down a sale because detached coupons are supposed to be void. It'd be too much of a hassle to argue with the customer, especially if management made it known that they wouldn't support a cashier trying to enforce the restriction.

Back in the day when SNAP benefits were called "food stamps" but were actually issued in books of "food coupons," loose coupons were not supposed to be accepted by retailers. Cash change was also not supposed to be given back, although I think that pertained to bills and not coins. Many times I saw cashiers take the coupon book and detach the coupons to cover the cost of the food. And some stores actually used chips, similar to gambling chips, to give back as change to be used as store credit. I'm presuming that the majority of the coupons in the books were $1 denomination to more readily allow stores to accept "correct change" (rounded to the nearest dollar) and not have to deal with giving change back.

But yes, most retailers I remember did require the coupons not to be detached from the booklet.

rickmastfan67

US71

This came across my newsfeed just now:

Peel Ferry (Bull Shoals Lake) will only operate 6-9 am and 3-6 pm M-F and will be closed on weekends.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 30, 2020, 08:41:45 PM
We can add Exit #380 (US-17) on I-95 in Florida to the list of roads being closed.
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/03/29/screening-checkpoint-at-florida-georgia-border-slows-traffic/

I've been pondering if FDOT has anyone posted on FL 2 west of Jacksonville.  It wouldn't be all that difficult for someone to get into Florida through the Okefenokee Swamp if they knew the area.  There are a lot of little minor roads that cross the state line the further west you go.  I can't imagine all of them would be manned or have a closure. 

RobbieL2415

Life pro tip to avoid these checkpoints: enter the state from a surface road.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 30, 2020, 10:58:25 PM
Life pro tip to avoid these checkpoints: enter the state from a surface road.

But that would require you not listen to your GPS or app...the horror. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.