News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your Favorite AARoads Threads

Started by JoePCool14, September 18, 2020, 02:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

I'm not sure if this topic has ever been brought up here before, assuming it hasn't...

What are everyone's favorite threads on the forum? It could be threads under any board or sub-board, including regional boards.

For reference, your favorite thread could be anything from a place you check immediately when you sign on, or to a favorite thread of the past you enjoy looking back on;-)

For starters, mine would have to be Redesign This! over in Road-Related Illustrations. Without a doubt, it's the place I have spent the most time trying to redesign assemblies over the years.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Sorry State of Automobiles in the 70s, 80s, 90s since that went way further than I thought it would and has a nice assortment of video links. 

Takumi

Alanland was legitimately creative for awhile.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Alanland was awesome.  I still think it was going well, but some people forget that if they don't care about a thread, they truly have the option to ignore a thread or topic, and their complaining ultimately lead to its demise.  Many threads get political or become a bit of an online brawl.  Alanland stayed quite sane.

Outside of that, there's several threads that I keep tabs on, but the vast majority of threads on here I've never looked at, or at minimum contributed to.

webny99

I'm a little embarrassed of myself for it now, but I did start a similar thread way back in February 2018.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 18, 2020, 02:18:42 PM
Alanland was awesome.  I still think it was going well, but some people forget that if they don't care about a thread, they truly have the option to ignore a thread or topic, and their complaining ultimately lead to its demise.  Many threads get political or become a bit of an online brawl.  Alanland stayed quite sane.

Outside of that, there's several threads that I keep tabs on, but the vast majority of threads on here I've never looked at, or at minimum contributed to.

I generally agree, except for the highlighted word.  'Sane' goes a little too far.

That thread was pure gold for about 20 or 30 pages, but then the quality declined after that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

pssssssssst........  The Perkins Union thread is still open.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

CNGL-Leudimin

I liked the Threads you'll never see in AARoads thread until your guys hijacked it with that clock thing and now I don't have where to put some crazy ideas I had, including some coronavirus-related.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 18, 2020, 04:22:51 PM
I liked the Threads you'll never see in AARoads thread until your guys hijacked it with that clock thing and now I don't have where to put some crazy ideas I had, including some coronavirus-related.

And all the mods are now patting themselves on the back for locking that thread.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on September 18, 2020, 04:46:53 PM

And all the mods are now patting themselves on the back for locking that thread.

Wasn't that lock supposed to be temporary, anyway?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on September 18, 2020, 04:55:55 PM

↓   It didn't sound temporary to me.   ↓

Quote from: Alps on December 05, 2019, 12:35:45 PMThis thread has gone on long enough.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on September 18, 2020, 05:04:38 PM

Quote from: Alps on December 05, 2019, 12:35:45 PMThis thread has gone on long enough.

Oh, I think 1 was talking about the "coronavirus pandemic" thread. Given the phrase you bolded, that's what I thought you were talking about, too.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on September 18, 2020, 05:08:21 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 18, 2020, 05:04:38 PM

Oh, I think 1 was talking about the "coronavirus pandemic" thread. That's what I thought you were talking about, too.

Yes. The COVID thread lock was supposed to be temporary.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

webny99

Yeah, that one ended on this note:

Quote from: Alps
This is just going down an unending rabbit hole. Locked for now.

JoePCool14

Let's not get this one locked too. I have a feeling people aren't super fond of the coronavirus thread.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

wanderer2575

Anything with photos of BGSs and assemblies.

Interchange designs.

Michigan-related items in the Midwest forum because that's my home state.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

My favorite AARoads thread is the one where we all named our favorite AARoads threads.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CoreySamson

Honestly, I like the hideousness of the Worst Signs thread.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jakeroot

Absolutely favorite? Probably "traffic signals". Just encompasses a lot of the things I like about traffic lights: how they operate, where they're placed, who makes them, old vs new ones, etc.

The traffic control board contains over 4300+ of my 11000+ posts, so anything in that category I love to talk about. I also enjoy the "Crash Prone Modern Roundabouts" thread because I think roundabouts are very interesting. As well, I enjoy the "Double left turns with permissive phasing" thread, since I think those are cool and the thread contains a bunch of locations around the US and a nice discussion about their pros and cons.

I don't necessarily find funny discussions to be my favorite. I like to have fun here, obviously, but my favorite threads are those where legit, serious discussions occur.

thefraze_1020

Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

plain

I honestly didn't have a favorite thread until the creation of the Guess That Bridge thread. This has the potential to become something special, it could really make you think.

Speaking of that thread, it's been 5 days since anyone posted so I might try it..
Newark born, Richmond bred

Takumi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 18, 2020, 02:18:42 PM

Honestly, I think near the end the well was running dry, so I simply stopped paying attention to it. When it got locked I remember thinking it was a mercy killing, though.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.