News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Snow...

Started by BigMattFromTexas, December 04, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

Another snow/ice storm has hit Tennessee.  The snow accumulation is minor (1-3") but, once again, the mix of temperatures hovering around freezing have combined to put out more ice here.

EDIT:
Finally added pictures:

Snow a set on flickr
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

jdb1234

Some snow flurries earlier this evening, of course I had to drive in it again.  :pan:

PAHighways

My county is under a Winter Storm Warning which was to expire this evening at 6 PM, then pushed to tomorrow at 12 PM, and finally to 6 PM Thursday.

I hear Vancouver is in need of snow, and if anyone from the Olympic Committee is reading this, I will sell you some.  :)

Chris

Quote from: PAHighways on February 16, 2010, 08:16:33 PM
I hear Vancouver is in need of snow, and if anyone from the Olympic Committee is reading this, I will sell you some.  :)

Well, Vancouver on average never gets below freezing, and Whistler is still low enough (only 2,200 feet) to be influenced by the nearby ocean. So I can't say I'm that surprised to see there's not enough snow there.

Truvelo

Why was Vancouver given the Olympics if snowfall in the area is unreliable?
Speed limits limit life

SSOWorld

Because they put in a bid for it and won.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mightyace

Quote from: Master son on February 17, 2010, 11:05:42 AM

<sarcasm>
By paying larger bribes than the competition.
</sarcasm>
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

SSOWorld

Just like Salt Lake? :P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Brandon

Quote from: mightyace on February 17, 2010, 08:01:36 PM
Quote from: Master son on February 17, 2010, 11:05:42 AM

<sarcasm>
By paying larger bribes than the competition.
</sarcasm>

Just like Rio?  :-P
(Yes, I wanted them in Chicago.  :angry:)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Truvelo

We've just had another few inches of snow. It's a fairly localized band of snow affecting the central part of England. It's still falling but the flakes are now tiny.
Speed limits limit life

un1

All the snow we got (which isn't much) is melting.  :sombrero:

Its almost as hot here as it was in Florida when I went there. :ded:
Moderator of the Canada and Off Topic boards.

Thunder Bay Expressway - Highway 61 and 11/17 Ontario - Thunder Bay, Ontario

Revive 755

Quote from: Chris on February 10, 2010, 04:16:07 PM
I knew East St. Louis was bad, but is it that bad it's not safe to drive there after dark?

Given that someone seems to get shot there every day, I'd say not without bulletproof windows.  It's at least got such a bad reputation (I can't seem to find a crime map online today to verify this) that it is best avoided period except on the interstates.

Chris

Wikipedia:

QuoteEast St. Louis has one of the highest crime rates in the United States. According to FBI's data of 2007, its murder rate hit 101.9 per population of 100,000,

Population is 31,000, so that would make 32 homicides per year. Staggering. The murder rate is 20 times the national average. Other types of crime are also many times the national average, like robbery which is seven times the nat'l average, assault is even 17 times the national average. I say: bulldoze every square feet of it :D

J N Winkler

Movie cliche:  family stops at a traffic light in East St. Louis, and when it turns green, the car won't move.  Then the family sees the thieves walking away with the wheels . . .  (I'm pretty sure that appeared in one of the National Lampoon movies, but that gag is too good not to recycle.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Brandon

Quote from: Chris on February 19, 2010, 02:20:13 PM
Wikipedia:

QuoteEast St. Louis has one of the highest crime rates in the United States. According to FBI's data of 2007, its murder rate hit 101.9 per population of 100,000,

Population is 31,000, so that would make 32 homicides per year. Staggering. The murder rate is 20 times the national average. Other types of crime are also many times the national average, like robbery which is seven times the nat'l average, assault is even 17 times the national average. I say: bulldoze every square feet of it :D

East Saint Louis is a very sad and tragic story (makes most other cities look good, IMHO).  In the 1950s, East Saint Louis was at its height and one of the largest cities in the state with 82,000 people.  Due to many factors; white flight, lack of civic leadership, closure of businesses, schools, etc; East Saint Louis lost about 10,000 or so a decade.  Metro East, once one of the richer parts of the state, rapidly became one of the poorest parts of the state.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 19, 2010, 02:38:31 PM
Movie cliche:  family stops at a traffic light in East St. Louis, and when it turns green, the car won't move.  Then the family sees the thieves walking away with the wheels . . .  (I'm pretty sure that appeared in one of the National Lampoon movies, but that gag is too good not to recycle.)

Vacation. Though the car still moves, it's just missing its hubcaps and is covered in graffiti.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

BigMattFromTexas

It's snowing here right now, school is canceled! :D But San Angelo drivers will prolly find a way to wreck. We've had at least two wrecks this week and both of them were fatal, and niether of them had to do with ice...
I'll get some pictures of the snow soon. (as soon as I find the photograph machine that someone missplaced. :ded: )

agentsteel53

Quote from: BigMatt on February 23, 2010, 09:23:16 AM
It's snowing here right now, school is canceled! :D But San Angelo drivers will prolly find a way to wreck. We've had at least two wrecks this week and both of them were fatal, and niether of them had to do with ice...
I'll get some pictures of the snow soon. (as soon as I find the photograph machine that someone missplaced. :ded: )

I just passed through San Angelo yesterday! Then I got stuck in Tucumcari because it snowed here in northeast NM, hard.  Only 150 miles from home and I had to stop.  But the sun is out so it looks like I can get on my way soon.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

Heres the pictures of the first 2010 snow in San Angelo. I know it doesn't look like much but those weeds are kinda high...

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

PAHighways

bugo

The forecast for Tulsa tonight and tomorrow morning calls for an inch or two of snow.  It's supposed to warm up soon afterward, so it will probably melt quickly.  I expect a winter weather advisory to be issued at any time as OKC is already under one.

Scott5114

OKC got an overnight dusting that stuck to cars and such but didn't really accumulate on the pavement. The temperature is already 34 so we're good...for now.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

njroadhorse

My house is running at about 18-20 inches right now!!!
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

froggie

First East Coast storm in a while where D.C. didn't get dumped on.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.