News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

When the West Waukesha Bypass is completed, will the US 18 designation be applied to it, as well as the pre-existing STH-59/164 segments of the entire bypass?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2017, 04:40:25 PM
When the West Waukesha Bypass is completed, will the US 18 designation be applied to it, as well as the pre-existing STH-59/164 segments of the entire bypass?

Yes.  US-18 will be applied to it.

Quote from: dvferyance on September 21, 2017, 03:06:08 PM
I say just cancel it all together. Nobody wants it and there are far greater needs in the area like I-94.

I am kind of leaning that way as well.  Route US-18 north at I-94 and then have it exit at Bluemound Road.  (Which is a much better routing anyway.)

GeekJedi

"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Roadguy

From an inside source, WisDOT Secretary Ross has directed staff to look closer at the Majors and SE Freeway projects currently in the queue: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/6yr-hwy-impr/maj-hwy/default.aspx

This includes looking at the actual need, re-scoping them to see if less work can be done, and prioritizing which ones should move forward if money is available.  Some of them have been on the books since the early 1990s. 

The ones that are now complete: 51 in Wausau, 10 to Marshfield, 12 between Sauk City and Middleton, 12 between Baraboo and Lake Delton, 18 in Prairie Du Chien, 26 from Janesville to Watertown, 41 bypass of Oconto and Peshtigo,  and 41 in Brown and Winnebago counties that have any remaining funding left over will be reallocated to current majors projects and these projects will be closed out.

The winners in the most recently passed budget are 39/90, Verona Road, 94 North-South, 10/441, and 94 in St. Croix County.  While the losers were 94 East-West, Phase II (North Section) of the Zoo Interchange, 43 North-South, and 15 (Hortonville Bypass).

At this time, almost all studies for majors/SE Freeways have been suspended until further notice unless they have a short time frame (within a year) to get to completion.  The direction is that the majors/SE Freeways is already overprogrammed so projects already in the hopper will receive funding as available.  Currently the budget shows the majors/SE freeways program would have a minor amount of funding available in the mid 2020s.  But it would only be enough to do studies.  The projects approved in the most recent budget encumber the funding available for the next 6-8 years.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Roadguy on September 23, 2017, 10:26:46 AM
From an inside source, WisDOT Secretary Ross has directed staff to look closer at the Majors and SE Freeway projects currently in the queue: http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/6yr-hwy-impr/maj-hwy/default.aspx

This includes looking at the actual need, re-scoping them to see if less work can be done, and prioritizing which ones should move forward if money is available.  Some of them have been on the books since the early 1990s. 

The ones that are now complete: 51 in Wausau, 10 to Marshfield, 12 between Sauk City and Middleton, 12 between Baraboo and Lake Delton, 18 in Prairie Du Chien, 26 from Janesville to Watertown, 41 bypass of Oconto and Peshtigo,  and 41 in Brown and Winnebago counties that have any remaining funding left over will be reallocated to current majors projects and these projects will be closed out.

The winners in the most recently passed budget are 39/90, Verona Road, 94 North-South, 10/441, and 94 in St. Croix County.  While the losers were 94 East-West, Phase II (North Section) of the Zoo Interchange, 43 North-South, and 15 (Hortonville Bypass).

At this time, almost all studies for majors/SE Freeways have been suspended until further notice unless they have a short time frame (within a year) to get to completion.  The direction is that the majors/SE Freeways is already overprogrammed so projects already in the hopper will receive funding as available.  Currently the budget shows the majors/SE freeways program would have a minor amount of funding available in the mid 2020s.  But it would only be enough to do studies.  The projects approved in the most recent budget encumber the funding available for the next 6-8 years.

I-94 Between Kenosha and Milwaukee desperately needs to have the widening finished. Yesterday, I was traveling to Milwaukee for the Brewers/Cubs game, and it was just so overloaded with traffic that it was slowing down just randomly, and I even left early. Others who met us at the game got totally stuck in traffic and were a bit late getting there. I am glad to see that it appears that this is getting some of the funding to finally get the ball rolling again.

mgk920

Quote from: ChiMilNet on September 24, 2017, 09:13:52 PM

I-94 Between Kenosha and Milwaukee desperately needs to have the widening finished. Yesterday, I was traveling to Milwaukee for the Brewers/Cubs game, and it was just so overloaded with traffic that it was slowing down just randomly, and I even left early. Others who met us at the game got totally stuck in traffic and were a bit late getting there. I am glad to see that it appears that this is getting some of the funding to finally get the ball rolling again.

The FoxConn proposal is likely a catalyst here, too.

Mike

GeekJedi

Quote from: mgk920 on September 25, 2017, 09:41:22 PM

The FoxConn proposal is likely a catalyst here, too.

Mike

That work (94 N-S) was included as part of the Foxconn deal. At least originally.

Mrt90

That's what happens when you bring Chicago traffic into Wisconsin.  Seriously though, the 3 lane part between northern Kenosha County to Milwaukee is not typically as bad as you describe, unless there are a lot of left lane hogs. And even the 4 lane part gets backed up on the weekends south of highway 50 to the state line when the Illinois folks are driving home.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Mrt90 on September 26, 2017, 05:31:38 PM

That's what happens when you bring Chicago traffic into Wisconsin.  Seriously though, the 3 lane part between northern Kenosha County to Milwaukee is not typically as bad as you describe, unless there are a lot of left lane hogs. And even the 4 lane part gets backed up on the weekends south of highway 50 to the state line when the Illinois folks are driving home.
IL is 4 lanes till the I-94/I-294 split and some people / trucks take the free US-41

SSOWorld

Not to mention WI has no rule restricting truck lane use so you will possibly come across a 4-lane-wide "truck conversation"
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on September 26, 2017, 07:27:59 PM
Quote from: Mrt90 on September 26, 2017, 05:31:38 PM

IL is 4 lanes till the I-94/I-294 split and some people / trucks take the free US-41
The left lane hogs were a factor. I am sure there was baseball game traffic affecting it too. But this being such a busy corridor, and believe me, a lot of IL people use this towards their destination in WI, I am surprised this whole project to eight lane this corridor got moved back (funding issues aside). Either way, this is a much needed project that will very much help traffic flow in this part of the state (and that much easier for those of us from IL looking to get away for a day or weekend).

Roadguy

Was waiting to hear when this would be official and now it is.  Because state politicians opted to not fund 94 East-West in the budget, FHWA is rescinding their authorization for federal funds.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2017/10/04/wisconsin-abandons-94-westgov-scott-walkers-administration-asks-pull-up-stakes-i-94-east-west-projec/731644001/

Delaying/eliminating the project doesn't means the needs go away for the existing infrastructure.  This section of roadway already has 4 layers of asphalt on top of the original concrete that is in poor shape.  The bridges are also reaching the end of their lifespans (Not hazardous to drivers but will need replacement before they get to that point).  They still will need to spend almost a billion dollars to do all of this work.  This stretch is similar to the Zoo interchange before it was redone.  Everything was reaching the end of it's lifespan and because they kept delaying it, the state per-maturely before the project had to go in and replace a couple of the existing bridges.  This decision will only cost more money in the long run.

The kick the can down the road philosophy will negatively impact the state for many years to come.  :-/

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Roadguy on October 05, 2017, 08:56:18 AM

Was waiting to hear when this would be official and now it is.  Because state politicians opted to not fund 94 East-West in the budget, FHWA is rescinding their authorization for federal funds.
http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2017/10/04/wisconsin-abandons-94-westgov-scott-walkers-administration-asks-pull-up-stakes-i-94-east-west-projec/731644001/

Delaying/eliminating the project doesn't means the needs go away for the existing infrastructure.  This section of roadway already has 4 layers of asphalt on top of the original concrete that is in poor shape.  The bridges are also reaching the end of their lifespans (Not hazardous to drivers but will need replacement before they get to that point).  They still will need to spend almost a billion dollars to do all of this work.  This stretch is similar to the Zoo interchange before it was redone.  Everything was reaching the end of it's lifespan and because they kept delaying it, the state per-maturely before the project had to go in and replace a couple of the existing bridges.  This decision will only cost more money in the long run.

The kick the can down the road philosophy will negatively impact the state for many years to come.  :-/

I hope you spend the $50 you saved on gas taxes this year wisely!

The Ghostbuster

Maybe the DOT met resistance from city leaders and local neighborhoods, all of whom oppose freeway expansion. Nevertheless, this stretch of Interstate 94 needs to be reconstructed ASAP, local resistance non-withstanding. It has been in existence since the early 1960's, and politicians need to stop playing their favorite sport, kick-the-can-down-the-road.

dvferyance

I was just on I-894 SB in the zoo interchange reconstruction. WisDOT installed a new sign for National Ave which includes Hwy ES on it. Uh National Ave is no longer Hwy ES at 124th street when it enters Milwaukee County. And the end sign is still there this is a goof no doubt.

TheHighwayMan3561

A friend told me a new WIS 318 has been established in Waukesha running along Meadowbrook Road connecting I-94 and US 18. Is that related to the future bypass?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GeekJedi

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 03, 2017, 07:15:53 PM
A friend told me a new WIS 318 has been established in Waukesha running along Meadowbrook Road connecting I-94 and US 18. Is that related to the future bypass?

Is it signed? I know that stretch is being widened as part of the Waukesha West bypass, however there wasn't a route planned there originally. It wouldn't surprise me that it would become an unsigned route.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 03, 2017, 08:28:06 PM

Is it signed? I know that stretch is being widened as part of the Waukesha West bypass, however there wasn't a route planned there originally. It wouldn't surprise me that it would become an unsigned route.

I was told it was signed (Chris Lokken was the source)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GeekJedi

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 03, 2017, 08:30:34 PM

Wow! He's a reliable source, so I'd believe it. Totally out of left field though!

mgk920

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 03, 2017, 08:31:23 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 03, 2017, 08:30:34 PM

Wow! He's a reliable source, so I'd believe it. Totally out of left field though!

There was a photo of a WI 318 sign posted on my FB news feed scroll yesterday.

Mike

catofdar

It is signed on BGSs approaching Exit 291 (G/TT) on I-94 west.

-Chris Lokken
CatOfDar Roads...Adding random meows to road enthusiasm since 2005.

GeekJedi

I wonder if that was a contractor error, or if they meant to sign it. Kind of makes me think of Miller Park Way...

catofdar

Not yet sure if it is signed on mainline. Will investigate (with camera) tomorrow.

-Chris Lokken
CatOfDar Roads...Adding random meows to road enthusiasm since 2005.

paulthemapguy

I came to this thread for the express purpose of asking people if they knew anything about Wis-318.  I accidentally came across it in the field:

WI-318 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

^That was signage from I-94 eastbound at exit 291.  Wis-318 extends south from I-94, presumably to US18.

I also got a photo of a BGS on I-94 indicating Wis-318 on the sign for exit 291.  I'll have to upload that later.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

mgk920

Is WisDOT planning to take on a more 'Ohioish' tack regarding minor highways, taking over higher status county highways and giving them higher three digit state numbers on a statewide basis?  Likely not, but it is an interesting thought.

:hmm:

I have idly mused about this over the years - 'What would I number these county highways as?' (ie. County 'E', County 'N', County 'S', County 'JJ', County 'A', etc, in Outagamie County.)

:hmmm:

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.