News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

County Line vs Entering a County

Started by OCGuy81, May 01, 2017, 03:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

California seems to almost always use a sign that puts County Line under the county name.  While other states, like Oregon, seem to use "Entering _____ ."

I think some states too (can't recall which ones....Wisconsin comes to mind) just use "_______ Co."

Does your state use one type of signing language to denote a county line, or is it a mixed bag?

hotdogPi

Massachusetts (with rare exceptions) does not do either. County lines are not even signed.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

cpzilliacus

Virginia seems to prefer
ENTER
<county or city name>
LEAVE
<county or city  name>

Example on I-395 at the border between Arlington County and the City of Alexandria here.

Somtimes the sign will read

ENTER (or ENTERING)
<county or city name>

Especially when entering Virginia  from an adjoining state.

Maryland often just posts the name of the county and not much more.  Sometimes the county seal and
WELCOME TO
<county name>
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sbeaver44

Pennsylvania is actually pretty good at this:

7/8

They seem to vary in Ontario. Some of them are simple blue signs that say "County ___", while others are more unique to the specific county.

Oxford County sign on the 401

Region of Waterloo sign near New Hamburg (I really should have a photo of this, but I don't)
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.3571484,-80.7359565,3a,15y,24.34h,89.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa4r0tYQjOkqphNdKp5P4tQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Halton Region on old Hwy 25

Blurry photo for Renfrew County on Hwy 60

Wellington County on the 401
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4223079,-80.2792665,3a,15y,106.01h,92.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS67H-VfRatEunKSupLIY5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on May 01, 2017, 03:53:08 PM
Massachusetts (with rare exceptions) does not do either. County lines are not even signed.
Some of the bookleaf townline signs include the county name underneath the city/city name if such crosses a county line; though MassDOT isn't always consistent.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

OCGuy81

I've noticed a few states where you don't see any mention of a county at the state line.

Examples:

I-5 going into Washington state.  No mention of Clark County.

I-5 going south into Oregon, no mention on Multnomah County.

I-15 entering Nevada. No mention of Clark County.

I-15 entering Utah.  No mention on Washington County.

NWI_Irish96

In Indiana, INDOT puts up signs on their roads.  Interstates just have signs naming the county you are entering.  US and State highways have signs that say Enter XXX Co  Leave YYY Co.  It's up to the counties as to whether or not they sign county roads. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

theline

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 01, 2017, 04:38:23 PM
In Indiana, INDOT puts up signs on their roads.  Interstates just have signs naming the county you are entering.  US and State highways have signs that say Enter XXX Co  Leave YYY Co.  It's up to the counties as to whether or not they sign county roads. 

Let's just say that Indiana is consistently inconsistent. Here are two signs for motorists entering Elkhart County from St. Joseph County.
On the Indiana Toll Road:

On SR-933:

Notice that one sign lists the "enter" county first, while the other lists the "leave" county first. One shows just the names of the counties while the other adds the "Co."

As cabiness states, many signs on the interstates show just the name of the county the driver is entering.

Rothman

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 01, 2017, 04:34:06 PM
Some of the bookleaf townline signs include the county name underneath the city/city name if such crosses a county line; though MassDOT isn't always consistent.

I thought the Hampden/Hampshire line was still signed on I-91.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Road Hog

Texas changed its boundary styles to

Nameofcounty
County Line

Similar to city limits, except the new city limit signs no longer show population.

MNHighwayMan

In both Minnesota and Iowa, they're simply signed as "______ County." Only difference is that Minnesota uses mixed case (on both name and "County"), while Iowa uses all caps. There are a few special exceptions, like this one where MN-47 runs along the county line for quite a distance. (Sorry it's hard to read, but it's the best I could do–the sign reads "Kanabec County" with a left arrow on top and "Mille Lacs County" with a right arrow on the bottom.)

dgolub

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 01, 2017, 03:48:01 PM
I think some states too (can't recall which ones....Wisconsin comes to mind) just use "_______ Co."

New York does this.  Connecticut doesn't sign county lines at all.

Road Hog

Quote from: dgolub on May 01, 2017, 06:42:48 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 01, 2017, 03:48:01 PM

New York does this.  Connecticut doesn't sign county lines at all.
Ditto for Arkansas and Oklahoma.

Bitmapped

Ohio uses the same type of county line signage as Virginia:
ENTER
<county or city name>
LEAVE
<county or city  name>

West Virginia just posts "{name} County" signs.

oscar

Alaska, like WV, just posts signs where you enter a borough or equivalent unit, unless you're entering from Canada in which case there is no borough sign. The only indication you're leaving a borough is if you see another borough's sign at the border. Since the vast Unorganized Borough (areas not yet covered by any county-type government) has no entrance signs, you'd need to look in your rearview mirror to spot the entrance sign for the borough you just left.

Hawaii has only one land boundary between counties, between Maui and Kalawao Counties. The latter has the infamous "unwelcome" signs (scroll down the page), threatening criminal penalties if you enter without a state permit. There are no signs in the other direction, welcoming you to Maui County.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

PHLBOS

Quote from: Rothman on May 01, 2017, 05:39:37 PM

I thought the Hampden/Hampshire line was still signed on I-91.
It is.

My inconsistency comment was primarily directed towards the MA-exclusive bookleaf townline signs posted on smaller roads & non-limited-access highways. 

Along major highways in MA, per the above-posted example along I-91; county-line crossings are marked within supplemental the ENTERING XXXXXXX LGS.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Per current MassDOT practice, new bookleaf town line signs are now supposed to include the county name if the boundary is at a county line.  As PHLBOS noted, applicable LGS boundary signs on Interstates and freeways are formatted as "ENTERING Xxxxxx (horizontal divider) Yyyyyy County"
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Years ago, Kentucky posted black-on-white "Enter XXX County, Leave YYY County." The last remaining one I can remember was at the Estill/Jackson county line on KY 89.

Now Kentucky just uses a white-on-green sign that lists the name of the county.

West Virginia does the same.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

A lot of NC counties seem to supplement the standard sign with a non-MUTCD "welcome to blah, blah blah".   I assume these are put up by the county and not the state. 

Ian

Maine simply uses "________ COUNTY LINE" signs underneath of their town line signs whenever one crosses into a new county. Nowadays, the county name is mixed-case, but here's an older all-caps version.

Their older black and white signs were cooler though...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

bzakharin

New Jersey doesn't mandate a specific design, but:
The Garden State Parkway uses blue pentagons that say "entering X county" like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6070454,-74.3131667,3a,75y,31.86h,73.93t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPs4EiBZQeQ95SGT4ECtomA!2e0!5s20161001T000000!7i13312!8i6656
Elsewhere counties are free to sign their lines any way they want, and most don't bother in most places, but when they do, it's usually "welcome to" or just county name and slogan. This is just an example:

cbeach40

Quote from: 7/8 on May 01, 2017, 04:29:45 PM
They seem to vary in Ontario. Some of them are simple blue signs that say "County ___", while others are more unique to the specific county.

Oxford County sign on the 401

Region of Waterloo sign near New Hamburg (I really should have a photo of this, but I don't)
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.3571484,-80.7359565,3a,15y,24.34h,89.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa4r0tYQjOkqphNdKp5P4tQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Halton Region on old Hwy 25

Blurry photo for Renfrew County on Hwy 60

Wellington County on the 401
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4223079,-80.2792665,3a,15y,106.01h,92.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sS67H-VfRatEunKSupLIY5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Oxford, Halton, and Renfrew are the old standard. New standard uses mixed case:
https://goo.gl/maps/6rZ7zNZmzPt

Standard signs may include "enhanced" versions with a slogan or such:
https://goo.gl/maps/oF3tBiekAZP2

The Waterloo one is a locally-produced sign that the county uses for their own roads. The Wellington County one is a decorative municipal display, ie, a glorified billboard.
and waterrrrrrr!

Eth

In Georgia, it's usually just the name of the county being entered, like so:

xcellntbuy

In middle Georgia, we have more elaborate signs for Baldwin, Putnam and Greene Counties, welcoming you to Georgia's Lake Country. :wave:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.