News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

County Line vs Entering a County

Started by OCGuy81, May 01, 2017, 03:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 05, 2017, 08:26:16 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on August 24, 2017, 11:04:17 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 23, 2017, 08:25:18 AM
Quote from: brycecordry on August 21, 2017, 07:29:56 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 01, 2017, 04:38:23 PM
In Indiana, INDOT puts up signs on their roads.  Interstates just have signs naming the county you are entering.  US and State highways have signs that say Enter XXX Co  Leave YYY Co.  It's up to the counties as to whether or not they sign county roads.

Though they don't anymore. County lines are not signed on the new I-69, and several signs on US 24 and I-94 have been missing for years and have never been replaced. When I reported those signs being missing (along with the Central/Eastern Time Zone sign on I-94 at the MI line), they informed me that they have indeed discontinued that sort of signage due to safety and cost, as many people nowadays use their cell phones to determine what county they are in, what city they are passing through, or what time it is.

How cheap can you get???
Honestly, county lines are not that important in most places. Certainly outside of a few places people don't know or care which county a city is in. For that matter, on a freeway, it's beside the point what city you're in unless it's a big one with multiple exits. Otherwise, just signing them on exit BGS's should be enough. State lines are the only things a freeway should really sign on the roadway itself.

Neither are the names of rivers, mountain passes, milemarkers, or "Spc. Maj. Gen. Lt. Sgt. Adm. Trooper Stopp N. de Nameodelaw Memorial Highway", and yet there's some degree of utility for all of them to the point that the MUTCD includes them (well, maybe not the last one). Road signs are not posted to get an ROI. Not posting county lines is just being cheap.
And I wouldn't post any of them either. Except mile markers. Those are actually extremely important for a wide variety of reasons, from knowing how much you have traveled on a roadway to how much is left to travel (if exits are mile-based) to the best and most precise location ID in case of an emergency. Those other things are nice to have at best and useless at worst.

US 89

Quote from: bzakharin on September 07, 2017, 01:50:38 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 05, 2017, 08:26:16 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on August 24, 2017, 11:04:17 AM
In Indiana, INDOT puts up signs on their roads.  Interstates just have signs naming the county you are entering.  US and State highways have signs that say Enter XXX Co  Leave YYY Co.  It's up to the counties as to whether or not they sign county roads.

Though they don't anymore. County lines are not signed on the new I-69, and several signs on US 24 and I-94 have been missing for years and have never been replaced. When I reported those signs being missing (along with the Central/Eastern Time Zone sign on I-94 at the MI line), they informed me that they have indeed discontinued that sort of signage due to safety and cost, as many people nowadays use their cell phones to determine what county they are in, what city they are passing through, or what time it is.

How cheap can you get???
Honestly, county lines are not that important in most places. Certainly outside of a few places people don't know or care which county a city is in. For that matter, on a freeway, it's beside the point what city you're in unless it's a big one with multiple exits. Otherwise, just signing them on exit BGS's should be enough. State lines are the only things a freeway should really sign on the roadway itself.

Neither are the names of rivers, mountain passes, milemarkers, or "Spc. Maj. Gen. Lt. Sgt. Adm. Trooper Stopp N. de Nameodelaw Memorial Highway", and yet there's some degree of utility for all of them to the point that the MUTCD includes them (well, maybe not the last one). Road signs are not posted to get an ROI. Not posting county lines is just being cheap.
And I wouldn't post any of them either. Except mile markers. Those are actually extremely important for a wide variety of reasons, from knowing how much you have traveled on a roadway to how much is left to travel (if exits are mile-based) to the best and most precise location ID in case of an emergency. Those other things are nice to have at best and useless at worst.

County lines, rivers, and mountain passes are also helpful in emergencies, though. And "useless" goes too far, since these geographical features often give drivers a sense of where they are and where they're going.

thenetwork

Colorado's default is just a simple 2-line white-on-green sign that says  " XXX COUNTY ". 
https://www.aaroads.com/west/colorado001/co-009_sb_hoosier_pass_03.jpg

That being said, not all county lines are signed (CoughcoughMetroDenverCoughCough). 

Where county lines are signed, many counties along major routes create their own "ENTERING/WELCOME TO XXX COUNTY" signs which can range from a smaller sign:
http://www.gjsentinel.com/images/photos/imgkit_sized/070916_1a_signs_600x400.jpg
or
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/130/417911083_44e42c27d0_b.jpg
to a huge wooden roadside structure that rival the "WELCOME TO COLORFUL COLORADO" signs at the border:
http://www.coloradoinfo.com/sites/default/files/styles/gallery/public/gallery/CountySign_July%20%281%29.JPG?itok=fYxA7SAP.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.3492298,-74.4793757,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spMPIG6sitVRUmoT1_qhOhg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Not by far a county, but South Brunswick in NJ is a municipality like many in the North-East that play the same role in government that counties do elsewhere.   Anyway, this sign is very unique for an entering sign, pointing out that "You" are entering.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Arkansas designates a county line by name. Now, our road naming is a whole other thread!  :bigass:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

JKRhodes

Arizona, traditional style is somewhat small:

ENTERING
Xxxxxxxxx
COUNTY

Newer ones are significantly larger with the bottom two lines in mixed case:

ENTERING
Xxxxxxxxx
County

PurdueBill

Quote from: roadiejay on September 14, 2017, 11:14:30 PM

Newer ones are significantly larger with the bottom two lines in mixed case:

ENTERING
Xxxxxxxxx
County

These are pretty much straight from the Ohio style book for limited access roads and other dual carriageways, although they are always BGS style (previous generation button copy, now reflective copy, were clearview but now not, but always with ribs and with breakaway supports) but Arizona's layout is completely identical.

Road Hog

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on September 14, 2017, 10:25:31 PM
Arkansas designates a county line by name. Now, our road naming is a whole other thread!  :bigass:
Arkansas is short and sweet, all on one line: "INDEPENDENCE CO."

I've seen one exception, at the county line on I-30 at Alexander either way:

PULASKI
COUNTY
and
SALINE
COUNTY

ce929wax

I'll do Tennessee, since no one else has and I used to live there.  Basically interstate and non interstates are signed the same way, which a green sign that says "XXX CO", however, the interstate sign uses a different variant of the FHWA font than the non interstate does (I'm not familiar enough with the fonts to tell the difference).

thenetwork

Colorado is a mixed bag.

Some signs are just white on green which said _________ COUNTY.

Other Counties may create their own (Welcome to) _____________ County signs of various colors, styles and designs.

Some county lines are not even identified on CDOT roads.  Driving through the Denver metro area, you may go through 4 and 5 counties and not even know it.

thspfc

Wisconsin just has small green signs that say "Dane Co"  or whatever county it is. Always abbreviated.

bulldog1979

In Michigan, on non-freeways, it's a smaller green sign that says "ENTER" followed by the county name on separate lines. The size of the text for the name of the county is a bit larger than the words "enter" or "county". It's frequently accompanied by a similar sign on the same pole for the township being entered as well, and those signs would have a smaller "ZONED" at the bottom if appropriate.

On freeways, a larger green sign bearing just the name of the county is used.

cjk374

Lincoln Parish, when entering or leaving the parish:

Pylant Rd. becomes Brothers Rd. at Lincoln/Union line. by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

I don't have a picture of ENTER for some reason. Shame on me.

ENTER x PARISH on non-freeway state and US routes:

DOTD sign on Old Arcadia Rd. at Webster/Claiborne Parish line. by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

Strangely, I found this on a parish road.

On the interstates, it's just a simple x PARISH sign (I have no pic. Sorry.)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

bzakharin

May as well post this here, NJ state and country welcome signs. None of it is my work except finding them and putting them together.

Moto G (5) Plus

SSR_317

Quote from: theline on May 01, 2017, 04:57:44 PM

Let's just say that Indiana is consistently inconsistent. Here are two signs for motorists entering Elkhart County from St. Joseph County.
On the Indiana Toll Road:

On SR-933:

Notice that one sign lists the "enter" county first, while the other lists the "leave" county first. One shows just the names of the counties while the other adds the "Co."

As cabiness states, many signs on the interstates show just the name of the county the driver is entering.
Indiana has three sets of standards for signing highways at County Lines; the Indiana Toll Road (inconsistent), the Interstate System (MUTCD sign I2, listing only the name of the county one is entering), and for US/State Roads (IN MUTCD sign I-Y12, showing both the "leaving" and "entering" county); hence the variations depicted here. The Toll Road seems to have NO standards whatsoever since it was privatized (or "pirateized" as some maintain). They even improperly use a County Route 17 shield on some of the BGS signs at/approaching the interchange with County Road 17 east of Elkhart. Elkhart County has authorized NO County Routes. The number there is part of the highway NAME, not a route designation.

SSR_317

Quote from: bzakharin on August 04, 2019, 10:04:20 AM
May as well post this here, NJ state and country welcome signs. None of it is my work except finding them and putting them together.

Moto G (5) Plus
I guess the officials in Monmouth & Ocean counties want to express that there is either no room for selfish people in their area (or no room for people who cooperate with others) since they state they are the "NO. I" place to live. Either that, or the have a Horta choosing their fonts ("NO KILL I").  :bigass:

SSR_317

How cheap can you get???
INDOT is notorious for doing things as cheaply as possible, even if it costs more in the long run. Yes, they are beginning to phase out I2 signs on Interstates and other roads, which is a shame and adds to distracted driving as people take their eyes off the road to check their f'n cell phones to determine where the heck they are. But if they name the road after a lackey politician (esp. a member of the GOP), they seem to find all the money needed to put up a huge sign with no problem whatsoever (see the signs on I-469 near Ft. Wayne).

bzakharin

Quote from: SSR_317 on August 04, 2019, 01:27:06 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on August 04, 2019, 10:04:20 AM

Moto G (5) Plus
I guess the officials in Monmouth & Ocean counties want to express that there is either no room for selfish people in their area (or no room for people who cooperate with others) since they state they are the "NO. I" place to live. Either that, or the have a Horta choosing their fonts ("NO KILL I").  :bigass:
I'm wondering more why anyone would still care about a 1998 little league championship.

Flint1979

Michigan might of already been answered and I might of posted already I can't remember and don't feel like looking lol. Michigan generally uses just County under the name of the county like on I-75 it would simply say, "Wayne County" or on a state highway most of the time it will say, "Enter Saginaw County" and for the most part that's how it is in Michigan.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 08, 2019, 09:02:31 AM
Michigan might of already been answered and I might of posted already I can't remember and don't feel like looking lol. Michigan generally uses just County under the name of the county like on I-75 it would simply say, "Wayne County" or on a state highway most of the time it will say, "Enter Saginaw County" and for the most part that's how it is in Michigan.

Pro tip:  When you're in a thread, simply type something in the search bar up at the top, then click [Search].  For example, you can very easily search this thread for "Michigan".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

The only "search" function that I can see takes me to a new page and searches the entire forum.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on August 08, 2019, 01:25:07 PM
The only "search" function that I can see takes me to a new page and searches the entire forum.

Searching while in a thread searches the thread itself; searching anywhere else searches the entire forum.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

webny99

Quote from: 1 on August 08, 2019, 01:28:24 PM

Searching while in a thread searches the thread itself; searching anywhere else searches the entire forum.

What I'm saying is that it's is not possible to search while in a thread. I have to go to the search page, which then searches the entire forum.

(Edit: fixed typo and reworded for clarity)

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on August 08, 2019, 01:06:26 PM

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 08, 2019, 09:02:31 AM

Pro tip:  When you're in a thread, simply type something in the search bar up at the top, then click [Search].  For example, you can very easily search this thread for "Michigan".

Quote from: webny99 on August 08, 2019, 01:31:00 PM

Quote from: 1 on August 08, 2019, 01:28:24 PM

What I'm saying is that it's is not possible to search while in a thread. I have to go to the search page, which then searches the entire forum.

(Edit: fixed typo and reworded for clarity)

Here is where I enter my search criteria within a thread.  This searches only the thread I'm in.  Are you saying that box doesn't exist for you?

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.