News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on August 16, 2018, 09:49:18 AM
Let's just say that the State completely dropped the ball making life hell for everyone to cover their ineptitude.

FIFY.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jasonh300

Quote from: bigdave on August 16, 2018, 03:17:59 PM
Maybe I'm obtuse, but I'm not seeing how 6,048 feet of shoulder (in six sections) is going to make a great difference on a 23 mile long bridge.  :popcorn:

It's a place to stop.  Having broken down on the Causeway, right after passing the last crossover, I think this is a good idea.  You can only coast so far from 65 MPH.

Whatever happened to this project anyway?

sparker

Quote from: jasonh300 on August 21, 2018, 04:12:14 PM
Quote from: bigdave on August 16, 2018, 03:17:59 PM
Maybe I'm obtuse, but I'm not seeing how 6,048 feet of shoulder (in six sections) is going to make a great difference on a 23 mile long bridge.  :popcorn:

It's a place to stop.  Having broken down on the Causeway, right after passing the last crossover, I think this is a good idea.  You can only coast so far from 65 MPH.

Whatever happened to this project anyway?

Completely concur regarding the need for these shoulders.  As one who broke down in traffic lanes on the old San Mateo bridge (1969, 4-lane section pre-widening), shoulder turnouts would be a greatly appreciated improvement. 

cjk374

I have a question:  I just got home from Slidell. I noticed at a few locations (I-55 @ I-12, I-10 EB just south of the 10/12/59 JCT, plus a couple of other places) there are 3 permanent mounted signs on each side of the interstate....in order as you apprach them 1) left lane closed (symbol with orange background), 2) speed limit 45, and 3) lanes shift right (symbol with orange background). They were all turned away from the travel lanes, but you can look at the posts and see where you can turn them to face on-coming traffic.

What/when are they used for?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jbnv

I'm guessing that's for contraflow and the signs can be turned into view as needed. That's a lot of stuff out there that will get used maybe once or twice ever.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: jbnv on October 08, 2018, 11:12:59 AM
I'm guessing that's for contraflow and the signs can be turned into view as needed. That's a lot of stuff out there that will get used maybe once or twice ever.

Contraflow for Ivan, Katrina, Rita, Gustov, Lee, and Issac. That was 6 storms in 8 years  (2004-2012), but none in the last 6 years.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadman65

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 08, 2018, 10:09:09 PM
Quote from: jbnv on October 08, 2018, 11:12:59 AM

Contraflow for Ivan, Katrina, Rita, Gustov, Lee, and Issac. That was 6 storms in 8 years  (2004-2012), but none in the last 6 years.
Now possibly Michael.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

cjk374

Another question: what is all of the ROW clearing for on either side of I-12 at the St. Tammany/Tangipahoa line? It looks like possible new Service Roads but I can't tell.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

rlb2024

Quote from: cjk374 on October 09, 2018, 06:19:33 PM
Another question: what is all of the ROW clearing for on either side of I-12 at the St. Tammany/Tangipahoa line? It looks like possible new Service Roads but I can't tell.
Looks like CLECO may be running new high-voltage transmission lines into the Madisonville area.  There's a new electrical distribution center along Highway 190 near the St. Tammany-Tangipahoa line, so I guess it's coming from there.

jbnv

State Sen. Norby Chabert comments on Louisiana's highway network:
https://twitter.com/NorbNolty/status/1060575113303785472

brownpelican

Here's a look at what projects DOTD let to bid last month:

BRIDGES

• Atchafalaya River Bridge rehabilitation on U.S. 90 in St. Mary Parish: $11,964,750.00
  • Electrical and mechanical repairs to Estherwood Pontoon Bridge on LA 91 in Acadia Parish: $795,600.00
  • Replacement of Bayou Des Cannes Bridge on LA 104 in Evangeline Parish: $2,193,566.36
  • Replacement of bridges on Mitchiner Rd. and Gunter Loop in West Carroll Parish: $1,091,133.28
  • Replacement of Little Natalbany Bridge on LA 1064 in Livingston Parish: $2,397,561.50
  • Replacement of Tangipahoa River Bridge on LA 16 in Tangipahoa Parish: $6,953,669.06
  • Replacement of Thompson Creek Bridge on U.S. 61 in East and West Feliciana parishes: $9,236,300.28

WORK ON EXISTING ROADS

• Milling, patching, and paving on U.S. 80 between Texas St. Bridge and Flat River in Bossier Parish: $6,395,245.78
  • Grading, milling, paving, and drainage on LA 22 between Dalwill Dr. and U.S. 190 in St. Tammany Parish: $2,585,000.00
  • Widening of LA 37 at North Sherwood Forest Dr. in East Baton Rouge Parish: $13,475,086.70
  • Grading, paving, patching, and drainage on Montgomery St. between LA 34 and I-20 in Ouachita Parish: $2,122,187.14
  • Paving, patching, overlay, and bridge railing replacement on LA 2 and U.S. 79 in Claiborne Parish: $4,910,344.48
  • Milling, paving, and drainage on LA 113 between LA 112 and Calcasieu River in Rapides Parish: $1,578,032.42
  • Milling, paving, drainage, and bridge repairs on LA 436 between Monroe Creek Rd. and N. Jct. LA 21 in Washington Parish: $3,227,321.04
  • Milling, paving, overlay, and drainage on LA 441 between LA 442 and St. Helena Parish line in Livingston Parish: $3,386,238.13
  • Milling, paving, patching, overlay, and widening of LA 57 between Thompson Rd. and Cedar Grove Rd. in Terrebonne Parish: $2,186,418.05
  • Milling, patching, overlay, and drainage on LA 565 between LA 129 and LA 600 in Concordia Parish: $1,168,427.40
  • Milling, overlay, patching, and traffic signalization on Sherwood Forest Blvd. between Airline Hwy. and Old Hammond Hwy. in East Baton Rouge Parish: $2,781,390.36
  • Milling, patching, and drainage on LA 92 between N. Jct. LA 700 and LA 343 in Vermilion Parish: $3,735,806.22
  • Milling, overlay, and drainage on Sandal St. between LA 3033 and LA 34 in Ouachita Parish: $950,219.90
  • Grading, milling, overlay, patching, and drainage on Stubbs Vinson Rd. between LA 139 and U.S. 80 in Ouachita Parish: $2,884,808.60
  • Concrete rehabilitation on Westwood Dr. between WB Expressway and Lapalco Blvd. in Jefferson Parish: $5,175,201.80
  • Milling, patching, overlay, and drainage on LA 1228 between LA 34 and U.S. 84 in Winn Parish: $1,439,557.73
  • Grading, milling, overlay, and drainage on LA 957 between LA 412 and LA 955 in East Feliciana Parish: $2,262,764.35
  • Milling, overlay, and drainage on LA 31 between LA 94 and LA 336-1 in St. Martin Parish: $1,648,134.91
  • Patching, milling, overlay, and drainage on LA 64 between LA 1019 and LA 16 in Livingston Parish: $866,230.70
  • Milling and paving of I-310 at southbound mile marker 9 in St. Charles Parish: $129,452.40
  • Patching, milling, and overlay on LA 3227 between Queen St. and LA 164 in Bossier Parish: $649,283.77

MITIGATION AND SAFETY

• Roundabout construction on LA 59 at Lonesome Rd. in St. Tammany Parish: $1,885,000.00
  • Turn lane and thru lane construction on U.S. 90B between elevated WB Expressway and Jung Blvd. in Jefferson Parish: $2,185,524.99
  • Pavement marker replacement on I-20 in Lincoln Parish: $208,825.00
  • Pavement marker replacement on I-110 in East Baton Rouge Parish: $209,600.00

OTHER

• Roundabout construction on LA 59 at Lonesome Rd. in St. Tammany Parish: $1,885,000.00
  • Turn lane and thru lane construction on U.S. 90B between elevated WB Expressway and Jung Blvd. in Jefferson Parish: $2,185,524.99
  • Pavement marker replacement on I-20 in Lincoln Parish: $208,825.00
  • Pavement marker replacement on I-110 in East Baton Rouge Parish: $209,600.00

http://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/Announcement.aspx?key=18323

Anthony_JK

It's been a while since Louisiana projects made enough news to bump up this thread, but yesterday the Louisiana Legislature finally got off its collective keisters and at least put a nibble into the state's transportation infrastructure deficit.

The state House passed and sent to Governor John Bel Edwards for his signature House Bill 578, which calls for $690 million in state revenue to be dedicated to transportation projects spread throughout the state.

The original bill had only called for $190 million to fund the LA 415 Connector project, which would extend that particular highway south of its interchange with I-10 west of Port Allen across the Intercoastal Waterway to connect with LA 1 south of Port Allen near Addis; but it blew up into a statewide bill when a bigger source of revenue was found (settlement money from the Deepwater Horizion oil well spill lawsuit).

Other than the LA 415 Connector, other projects that got funded for southeast Louisiana are as follows:

*LA 3241, a new 4-lane arterial connector between I-10 and Bush in Washington Parish: $50 million.
*LA 1 in Lafourche Parish, raising the roadway to avoid flooding: $150 million.
*Purchasing 2 cranes for the Port of New Orleans: $20 million.
*Widening of Hooper Road between Sullivan and Greenwell Springs Road in greater Baton Rouge area: $15 million.

There were other projects that were funded, including portions of I-49 South near Lafayette ($150 million); the Shreveport I-49 Inner City Connector ($100 million); and $40 million for repairs to roads and bridges statewide.

Articles about this legislation can be found here:

Baton Rouge/Acadiana Advocate

Lafayette Advertiser

brownpelican

Bush is actually in Saint Tammany Parish.

kevinb1994

Quote from: brownpelican on June 26, 2019, 11:53:19 PM
Sounds presidential to me. ;)

jbnv

Quote from: Anthony_JK on June 05, 2019, 10:00:37 AM
*LA 3241, a new 4-lane arterial connector between I-10 and Bush in Washington Parish: $50 million.

Quote from: brownpelican on June 26, 2019, 11:53:19 PM

And the connector will go only to I-12.  :)

Where does the number 3241 come from? This will connect to the existing four-lane highway from Bush to Bogalusa. The existing highway carries LA 41 for a short stretch before picking up LA 21. But both highways diverge from the corridor. It would make more sense to have the entire corridor under one number. But this is LaDOTD we're talking about...

longhorn

Quote from: brownpelican on June 16, 2018, 03:36:57 PM
Found a nice video of the construction of the Atchafalaya Swamp Bridge by the then-Louisiana Department of Highways.

Thank you for posting this. I remember as a kid when this was being built and having to detoured on 190 until completed. What are they building now in the median? There is some construction.

jbnv

Quote from: longhorn on July 11, 2019, 10:20:30 AM
What are they building now in the median? There is some construction.

There's 18 miles of median you're talking about... On the Lafayette side, they're adding a lane each way between Lafayette and the bridge.

longhorn

Quote from: jbnv on July 11, 2019, 11:46:50 AM
Quote from: longhorn on July 11, 2019, 10:20:30 AM
What are they building now in the median? There is some construction.

There's 18 miles of median you're talking about... On the Lafayette side, they're adding a lane each way between Lafayette and the bridge.

No, a co worker just took a trip on I-10 and stated there is construction between the eastbound and westbound lanes of the bridge over the swamp section. Adding crossing bridges for accidents ?

jbnv

Quote from: longhorn on July 15, 2019, 10:22:12 AM
No, a co worker just took a trip on I-10 and stated there is construction between the eastbound and westbound lanes of the bridge over the swamp section. Adding crossing bridges for accidents ?

You mean adding more crossing bridges?

longhorn

Quote from: jbnv on July 15, 2019, 10:39:53 AM

Yes, I am asking if that's what the construction is. He was sure he saw construction and piers being added between the lanes in certain areas. I can only guess thats the reason. I have Googled and found nothing what could be the construction.

cenlaroads

Quote from: longhorn on July 15, 2019, 02:32:57 PM
Quote from: jbnv on July 15, 2019, 10:39:53 AM

Yes, I am asking if that's what the construction is. He was sure he saw construction and piers being added between the lanes in certain areas. I can only guess thats the reason. I have Googled and found nothing what could be the construction.

I drove the bridge today and saw no signs of recent construction between the spans, except at the western terminii, where the widening project ends.  They have widened the first 100 yards or so of each span, presumably so that the extra lanes have more room to merge/expand.

jbnv

Four more years of John Bel Edwards-McKernan-Bart. Four more years of him cherry-picking what gets built or rebuilt and what doesn't.

My personal predictions:

* Kiss any hope of progress on I-49 South, especially the connector through Lafayette, goodbye for four more years. It's not going to pay for itself, just like the new bridge over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge and the new flyover ramp to MSY aren't going to pay for themselves. And with a strongly-conservative legislature opposing JBE's tax increases and more corporations leaving the state, nobody else will pay for them either.

* Watch how much progress happens on  widening/rebuilding I-12 between Baton Rouge and Hammond. Gotta make sure the guvnah can get home to Amite quickly.

* We will see some significant movement on the I-10 situation in Baton Rouge. No construction, but plenty of talk about it and probably some plans.

(In case you can't tell, I am not at all happy with tonight's outcome.)

Bobby5280

In all fairness an all-GOP dominated state government doesn't necessarily lead to big progress on roads either. Here in Oklahoma it has been pretty piddly, just reactions to avert disaster. Last year they passed a modest 3¢ per gallon hike on gasoline taxes, the first fuel tax hike since 1993 and only passed that hike to fund teacher pay raises since Oklahoma teachers are among the absolute worst paid in the nation. It was only when teachers were leaving in droves they bothered to do anything at all -by misappropriating funding from another sorely neglected area (our roads).

So Oklahoma's roads are still running on 1993 levels of funding even though it's the year 2019. Let's not forget the federal government's declining role in highway funding. And the locals here still have the audacity to demand all the toll gates be taken down off the 600+ miles of turnpikes "since the roads are paid for". I can only laugh when I hear that BS. The idiots never bother to think about factors such as maintenance, safety improvements, improvements to comply with new regulations and expansion projects to cover increased traffic. Any highway is going to involve on-going expense. It's never "paid for."

bassoon1986

I made an interesting state route clinch yesterday. LA 975 from Whiskey Bay to Krotz Springs in the Atchafalaya swamp. 17 miles of gravel! I still think it's crazy that a road can have a state highway shield on it and not be paved. And it's an exit from I-10.

iPhone

US71

Quote from: bassoon1986 on November 19, 2019, 07:03:11 PM
I made an interesting state route clinch yesterday. LA 975 from Whiskey Bay to Krotz Springs in the Atchafalaya swamp. 17 miles of gravel! I still think it's crazy that a road can have a state highway shield on it and not be paved. And it's an exit from I-10.

Arkansas got rid of their last gravel highway last year...and it's washing away
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.