News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ready for the blizzard?

Started by J Route Z, January 26, 2015, 03:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on February 01, 2015, 02:46:35 PM
Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on February 01, 2015, 12:40:54 PM
Looks like we're getting THREE storms this week. We have tonight's storm that'll last until Monday, another clipper most likely on Thursday, and another possible big storm hitting again Sunday-Tuesday..  :banghead:

Have fun with this current one. Having one hell of a blizzard right now

Yeah, 15 inches in Joliet according to the NWS.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bugo

I saw a few flurries on the way home from Arkansas last night. Does that count?

Thing 342

Quote from: bugo on February 02, 2015, 07:19:52 AM
I saw a few flurries on the way home from Arkansas last night. Does that count?
In my area, it probably would.

Pete from Boston

Clearly this is catching the plow crews when they are spread thin.  The roads are a little rough here today.  However, I greatly appreciate the government allowing me to travel this time.

Is it me or is there a lot more trucking away of snow these days than there used to be? It might just be that I don't notice it because snow in this amount is not an annual occurrence, but I feel like I see a lot more aggressive snow removal this way than in years past.

J Route Z

I feel the same way actually.. I saw 5 trucks today and we had about an inch (not too bad, but enough to get the roads in slippery shape). They are salting more roads and every town is making sure the roads are clear to drive on. The worst part is the freezing rain and ice.

vdeane

I survived today.  The office was practically empty.  I've never seen that many spots available in the parking lot before.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

had to contend with crusty roads this morning and salty spray fighting a car with a shit-ass windshield washer system - no thanks to the cold weather....
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JakeFromNewEngland

We might as well rename this to the  "Winter 2015" thread. We're getting MORE snow this weekend as well as the majority of the Northeast. Boston and New England in general are getting hit almost every day with some sort of snow. They're expecting 6-12 inches for us Sunday-Tuesday. Hopefully everyone is staying safe and warm in this crazy weather!  :D

kkt

Quote from: JakeFromNewEngland on February 05, 2015, 06:13:14 PM
We might as well rename this to the  "Winter 2015" thread. We're getting MORE snow this weekend as well as the majority of the Northeast. Boston and New England in general are getting hit almost every day with some sort of snow. They're expecting 6-12 inches for us Sunday-Tuesday. Hopefully everyone is staying safe and warm in this crazy weather!  :D

Send some of it to us.  Still not enough snow in the mountains to sled.

algorerhythms

Pete from Boston

More snow!  Bring it on!  I'm loving every minute of this winter. 

Duke87

Weather forecasts are moving targets. A couple days ago we were expected to get 6+ inches of snow between Sunday night and Monday. Now the forecast is for 1-3 inches of wintry mix becoming freezing rain on Monday.

Of course that actually makes it worse. Snow you can drive through if you have to and can be plowed away as it falls. Freezing rain turns roads into skating rinks, can't be plowed away, and trying to salt it while it's still falling is shoveling shit against the tide.

But again, moving target. Watch, Monday will come and it'll just be ordinary non-freezing rain. Or ordinary snow. I'll take either.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

realjd

We had thunderstorms last night here in Central Florida. You guys up north knew about that already though, right? Since the NYC and Boston local weather forecasts are apparently national news, I'm assuming you're getting full coverage of ours as well. That seems only fair.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: realjd on February 05, 2015, 11:53:28 PM
We had thunderstorms last night here in Central Florida. You guys up north knew about that already though, right? Since the NYC and Boston local weather forecasts are apparently national news, I'm assuming you're getting full coverage of ours as well. That seems only fair.

I don't know about New York, but we had more snow in a week than has ever been recorded here (and we get a lot of snow), so it might merit some coverage.

The Nature Boy

I'm moving to Boston in 3 months, I appreciate the coverage of Boston weather.

Yes, I'm willingly moving from the South back to New England. I'd rather deal with a New England winter than a Carolina summer.

formulanone

Don't go waving your snow shovel in the air, or Lightning Storm Zachary might electrocute you.

roadman

Don't panic, but the latest forecast for the Boston area is 12 to 16 inches from late Sunday through early Tuesday.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kkt

Quote from: formulanone on February 06, 2015, 10:47:33 AM
Don't go waving your snow shovel in the air, or Lightning Storm Zachary might electrocute you.

Or get arrested:

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/komo/article/Cops-apologize-for-man-69-wrongly-arrested-for-6046091.php

Pete from Boston

Quote from: formulanone on February 06, 2015, 10:47:33 AM

I look forward to a time when every sunny day has a name.  "Beach Day Norman" will really help get folks interested in the weather around them. 

JakeFromNewEngland

Quote from: roadman on February 06, 2015, 10:49:09 AM
Don't panic, but the latest forecast for the Boston area is 12 to 16 inches from late Sunday through early Tuesday.

We're supposedly getting less than expected, but still enough to probably cancel school. I think the forecast calls for around 6 inches of snow with periods of freezing rain. The last storm was the same prediction and we ended up with 9-10 inches of snow!

JakeFromNewEngland

Wow, a forecast can really change in the matter of a few hours... Now it's 1-2 inches of snow with periods of freezing rain.

Pete from Boston

18-24 now predicted here.  That would make 6 feet in about 17 days.  Blocks are being closed day and night in a panic to cart off snow piles.

Pete from Boston

What amazes me is the scale of day and night snow removal operations going on. Today I even passed a New Jersey Department of Transportation dump truck on a local street carting away snow in Somerville, Mass.  Those guys are now in full panic mode with another foot on the way.

Zeffy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 14, 2015, 03:22:52 PM
What amazes me is the scale of day and night snow removal operations going on. Today I even passed a New Jersey Department of Transportation dump truck on a local street carting away snow in Somerville, Mass.  Those guys are now in full panic mode with another foot on the way.

You guys helped us before, and we figured you guys could use the extra equipment with how bad these storms are slamming you.  ;-)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

dcbjms

So, it's snowing yet again - they're predicting 6-10" for our area of Rhode Island. :paranoid:  The roads are bad enough already (my back is still sore from partially widening our street on Thursday), so this is only going to make things worse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.