News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on February 18, 2020, 03:36:57 PM
Phew. I thought I was losing my mind.

Well, you weren't not losing your mind.*

Not not losing your mind is prohibited where required in Ala.........
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 18, 2020, 03:04:47 PM
I didn't realize that jakeroot was actually correcting me, not merely clarifying. 

Me either... at least at first.
But, no worries, all isn't not well that ends well.

interstate73

So the new blue Ontario plates have had so many issues with readability that the provincial government is temporarily discontinuing them and returning to the old plates while they wait for a new, enhanced batch to arrive. They're also going to replace the 71,000 blue plates that have already been issued free of charge: https://www.cp24.com/news/province-to-start-replacing-71-000-faulty-license-plates-next-month-1.4832054

Bet the first run blue plates will become quite a collector's item!
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

Dustin DeWinn

Embarrassed as I am for errors in what I did before, I began from scratch with a new design approach that should increase salience and increase comprehension. Its not done obviously, but I took feedback from the previous responses. I hope this is more effective. (The duplicate legend on the middle right will go away. It's only for copy-paste)...and it will be bigger and more readable than this.

deathtopumpkins

Is this still supposed to include inspection stickers? Because if so you're missing the windshield sticker for MA.

You're also showing 2 windshield stickers for NH, but NH only requires the 1 inspection sticker on the windshield.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

frankenroad

Quote from: interstate73 on February 29, 2020, 01:51:48 PM
So the new blue Ontario plates have had so many issues with readability that the provincial government is temporarily discontinuing them and returning to the old plates while they wait for a new, enhanced batch to arrive. They're also going to replace the 71,000 blue plates that have already been issued free of charge: https://www.cp24.com/news/province-to-start-replacing-71-000-faulty-license-plates-next-month-1.4832054

It amazes me that they don't field test this stuff better.   Several states have had readability issues in the last few years that have required re-designing plates.   However, to my knowledge, this is the first time the design was so bad that they are actually recalling and reissuing plates.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kalvado

Quote from: frankenroad on March 02, 2020, 02:56:40 PM
Quote from: interstate73 on February 29, 2020, 01:51:48 PM

It amazes me that they don't field test this stuff better.   Several states have had readability issues in the last few years that have required re-designing plates.   However, to my knowledge, this is the first time the design was so bad that they are actually recalling and reissuing plates.
It is called agile development methodology

rlb2024

Quote from: Big John on February 13, 2020, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on February 13, 2020, 09:40:36 PM
Quote from: kalvado on February 13, 2020, 08:53:08 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on February 13, 2020, 12:05:15 PM
What are the x1 x2 columns supposed to indicate? Wisconsin has no inspection sticker. Any regions of the state with emissions checks has the process tied to the registration sticker, of which there is only one on the rear plate.
I thought those are years; sticker valid for 1 or 2 years respectively

Then it's that much more incorrect for WI. Are there any states with 2-year validations for regular vehicles?
Louisiana does https://www.dmv.org/la-louisiana/registration-renewal.php
Louisiana registration stickers are 2 years for passenger cars and 4 years for non-commercial pickup trucks.

Inspection stickers (known as "brake tags" in the New Orleans area) can be for 1 year or 2 years on non-commercial vehicles.  It is the option of the purchaser -- except in the five-parish area around Baton Rouge, where annual emission checks are required so all inspection stickers there are one year only.  It can get confusing, especially for LSU students from outside the Baton Rouge area.

Dustin DeWinn

good info - makes it less clear-cut. And this, again, is for nobody but myself. So....its difficult.

My goal, ultimately, in a perfect world. would be to demonstrate to other states why moving to a single sticker for everything is cost-effective. NC's month sticker was a one-and-done, but the eliminated it altogether to save money. If you still see it, its because they never removed it, but the stopped issuing them. Other states could follow suit.

So it was, best case scenario, to show other states how they can save time and money by streamlining the stickers. But NY gets weird bc they're 2 yr for reg and 1 for inspection.

kalvado

Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on March 02, 2020, 04:13:48 PM
good info - makes it less clear-cut. And this, again, is for nobody but myself. So....its difficult.

My goal, ultimately, in a perfect world. would be to demonstrate to other states why moving to a single sticker for everything is cost-effective. NC's month sticker was a one-and-done, but the eliminated it altogether to save money. If you still see it, its because they never removed it, but the stopped issuing them. Other states could follow suit.

So it was, best case scenario, to show other states how they can save time and money by streamlining the stickers. But NY gets weird bc they're 2 yr for reg and 1 for inspection.
Single sticker for everything - as in combining state licensing powers with mechanical inspection outsourced to private mechanics?  I don't quite see that as those are significantly different processes from the bureaucratic perspective.
As for stickers themselves - NY, for one, has paper stickers attached from inside, so cost of sticker itself is pretty low. It is either licensing or inspection procedure or charge which cost probably 1000x of sticker value.

As for the map - overlaying inspection requirements may be another thing you want to do. Mechanical inspection is not required in all states; and that removes a layer of stickers and procedures.

Dustin DeWinn

That's what I'm trying to capture. What I could use is a delineation for what is what, but NY is shown to have 2 because of inspection and registration. NC has the one sticker now.

I guess what I'm after is sticker count. It seems that many states are out to simplify the process and/or reduce the number of vinyl reflective stickers. I know Texas went to one.

I really know less about the process or methods and rationale behind the process than I should. But it's probably a nerdy-OCD-Aspergsey thing in me to just like consistency and simplification. I'm all about innovation, but equally into standardization and I know for a fact NC's change came as a result of reducing costs. I was (perhaps erroneously) applying that same thought-process to other states to see if they can reduce costs within their own system using the same methods.

1995hoo

I haven't tried to follow the whole thread. What is the map intended to show? The number of state-mandated decals you must have on your car? In Virginia, the way it is supposed to work is that you have two plates (front and rear) and each of them has a "month" sticker on the left and a "year" sticker on the right (whether top left/right or bottom left/right may vary depending on the specific plate design). I say that's how it's "supposed to work" because a lot of people seem unable to grasp this simple concept and come up with all sorts of weird incorrect ways to apply the decals. Meanwhile, there is also a state safety inspection decal that is not tied to the registration process; it goes at the lower driver's-side corner of the windshield (used to go in the bottom center until two years ago).

Some Virginia counties and cities still mandate a local registration decal, but that's not a state requirement and is not universal.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dustin DeWinn

Yes, the idea (in the original post, pg 49) was that it was to show how many inspection and registration stickers go on the vehicle. Texas and NC went to a single sticker, so I wanted to show what each state was doing.

It's surprisingly hard to figure out, but this is an esoteric interest.

Thanks for the clarification.

1995hoo

Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on March 03, 2020, 10:27:43 AM
Yes, the idea (in the original post, pg 49) was that it was to show how many inspection and registration stickers go on the vehicle. Texas and NC went to a single sticker, so I wanted to show what each state was doing.

What reply number is the original post? On my screen, we are currently on page 26 of this thread. I have it set to load the maximum number of posts per page that it permits simply to reduce the number of pages I have to click through to view a thread.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2020, 10:41:20 AM

What reply number is the original post?
Reply #1221.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

What reply number is the original post? On my screen, we are currently on page 26 of this thread. I have it set to load the maximum number of posts per page that it permits simply to reduce the number of pages I have to click through to view a thread.
Default is 25 posts per page, max is 50, so divide by 2 and round up would seem to be a good conversion factor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on March 02, 2020, 06:59:19 PM
That's what I'm trying to capture. What I could use is a delineation for what is what, but NY is shown to have 2 because of inspection and registration. NC has the one sticker now.

I guess what I'm after is sticker count. It seems that many states are out to simplify the process and/or reduce the number of vinyl reflective stickers. I know Texas went to one.

I really know less about the process or methods and rationale behind the process than I should. But it's probably a nerdy-OCD-Aspergsey thing in me to just like consistency and simplification. I'm all about innovation, but equally into standardization and I know for a fact NC's change came as a result of reducing costs. I was (perhaps erroneously) applying that same thought-process to other states to see if they can reduce costs within their own system using the same methods.
These are good enough reasons for this forum!

As for stickers.. Let me compare NY (first hand) and TX (from what I read). I would say it is similar.
in both cases you need to do an annual inspection first, that instantly goes into DMV database, and a printed report (optional in NY) is handed to car owner. NY also issues a sticker  at that point.
When registration is up for renewal, DMV looks up valid inspection and (dis)allows registration based on that.

Role of sticker in NY, then, is to allow law enforcement - and driver - to look at inspection due date without database access, as two may not be synchronized (my inspection is due in April, while registration is in October), and there are 2 inspection cycles per registration period.  Although I, as an owner, get a flurry of e-mailed reminders whenever my inspection is due - so sticker is only that useful. Not everyone is registered for DMV e-mails, though.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on March 03, 2020, 12:41:10 PM

Default is 25 posts per page, max is 50, so divide by 2 and round up would seem to be a good conversion factor.

That would have required too much thought, plus I didn't remember what the default was anyway.

Regarding the stickers in DC, the registration appears on a windshield sticker, and that sticker also contains additional information like which residential parking zone, if any, the car has a permit for. When DC first went to the windshield sticker, the city's parking enforcement started ticketing their own residents for having expired license plates. Shortly thereafter, the DMV issued supplemental stickers saying "See Window Sticker" to put on the plates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2020, 01:13:24 PM

That would have required too much thought, plus I didn't remember what the default was anyway.
Forgive me but did you not see Reply #1268 for the posted answer?  Which is Reply #1221.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 03, 2020, 01:21:47 PM

Forgive me but did you not see Reply #1268 for the posted answer?  Which is Reply #1221.

Yeah, I saw it. Does that mean I should have ignored vdeane's comment?

vdeane

Yeah, I just happened to see that my page count (having never changed that setting) was close to double your's, and took a look at the setting to verify before posting.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 03, 2020, 06:47:16 PMYeah, I saw it. Does that mean I should have ignored vdeane's comment?
You could've at least stated that you already saw the answer while concurrently replying to her comment.   
GPS does NOT equal GOD

J N Winkler

Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on February 12, 2020, 11:38:14 AMI know this maybe confusing, but it's a very complicated system. I was curious what each state was doing in terms of license plate registration and inspection stickers.

Kansas is a rear-plate-only state with an annual registration sticker that goes on the upper right corner of the license plate and no periodic emissions or safety inspection.  I think the first version of your map is consistent with this, but the second suggests there is no registration sticker.

The Kansas registration sticker has the three-letter abbreviation for the last month of registration validity in large type, and the license plate number (spaces stripped out) below it in small type.  The latter is a recent innovation.  Year of expiry is keyed to the background color of the sticker, and is otherwise not explicitly indicated.  I think month of expiry is keyed to transaction date (ours all expire at the end of November, with December 1 as the enforcement date, and no family members have ever had birthdays in that month).

There have been attempts to correlate sticker policies with a state's overall political lean.  I've never felt these work very well.  I think the existence of emissions stickers correlates better with states having at least one metro area that receives CMAQ funding, and safety inspection stickers with states having Dfa/Dfb climates where brake lines can go spongy with age.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

^^^^

Then you have states like Virginia. Certain parts of Virginia are subject to emissions inspections, others are not, and there is no emissions sticker–the test result is transmitted electronically to the DMV so you can renew your registration. When they first started the emissions program in the early 1980s, there was an emissions decal that went at the lower driver's-side corner of the windshield (where the much smaller safety inspection sticker goes today), but people complained about it being distracting and they scrapped the decal a year or two later.

DaBigE

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2020, 11:49:05 AM
^^^^

Then you have states like Virginia. Certain parts of Virginia are subject to emissions inspections, others are not, and there is no emissions sticker–the test result is transmitted electronically to the DMV so you can renew your registration. When they first started the emissions program in the early 1980s, there was an emissions decal that went at the lower driver's-side corner of the windshield (where the much smaller safety inspection sticker goes today), but people complained about it being distracting and they scrapped the decal a year or two later.

Wisconsin is similar. Only the SE region is subject to emissions inspections, and it's tied to your registration renewal. IIRC, there's never been a separate indication showing you passed.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.