News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Question about Texas Interstate Highways

Started by ethanhopkin14, August 30, 2013, 01:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

I swear I read once that Texas was very late in the game to start numbering their exits on their interstates.  Is this true?  And if so, why did they leave their interstates un numbered so long?  Because of size or because some routes had some rerouting?

bassoon1986

I always wondered how long I-20 had been numbered because it's designation kept changing in the DFW area. It was the DFW Turnpike (present day I-30), then it's current routing along the south city limits but following present day US 80 in east Dallas to Terrell, then the new section opening from Mesquite to Terrell in the early 90's. That would be a lot of mile markers to renumber...somewhere from #420 to #636 and higher.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: bassoon1986 on August 30, 2013, 02:13:52 PM
I always wondered how long I-20 had been numbered because it's designation kept changing in the DFW area. It was the DFW Turnpike (present day I-30), then it's current routing along the south city limits but following present day US 80 in east Dallas to Terrell, then the new section opening from Mesquite to Terrell in the early 90's. That would be a lot of mile markers to renumber...somewhere from #420 to #636 and higher.

I wondered that for the longest time too. First I-20 was routed through downtown Dallas/ Ft.Worth on the Dallas Fort Worth Turnpike, then routed around LBJ Expressway to I-20 ending I-30 at the present I-820 I-30 junction.  Then the Balch Springs bypass was built and the west extension west of I-820 was completed. In effect, I-30's 0 mile post kept moving west so exit numbers and mile posts kept being altered on I-20 and I-30 east of the current western terminus of I-30. I am only old enough to remember the decommissioning of I-635 on LBJ west of the I-20 I-635 intersection.

Henry

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on October 08, 2013, 12:45:37 PM

I wondered that for the longest time too. First I-20 was routed through downtown Dallas/ Ft.Worth on the Dallas Fort Worth Turnpike, then routed around LBJ Expressway to I-20 ending I-30 at the present I-820 I-30 junction.  Then the Balch Springs bypass was built and the west extension west of I-820 was completed. In effect, I-30's 0 mile post kept moving west so exit numbers and mile posts kept being altered on I-20 and I-30 east of the current western terminus of I-30. I am only old enough to remember the decommissioning of I-635 on LBJ west of the I-20 I-635 intersection.
I remember when they routed I-20 on what is now I-30. I wouldn't be surprised if I-20 in the Metroplex has the record for most reroutings in the same metropolitan area!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Henry on October 08, 2013, 01:28:15 PM

I remember when they routed I-20 on what is now I-30. I wouldn't be surprised if I-20 in the Metroplex has the record for most reroutings in the same metropolitan area!

It might since it was rerouted in so many stages.  There were little conector sections that were added on later, even when most of the bigger sections were built like connecting it to I-30 west of FortWorth and the filling of the gap between I-635 and I-820.

Henry

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on October 08, 2013, 01:37:02 PM
Quote from: Henry on October 08, 2013, 01:28:15 PM

It might since it was rerouted in so many stages.  There were little conector sections that were added on later, even when most of the bigger sections were built like connecting it to I-30 west of FortWorth and the filling of the gap between I-635 and I-820.
That explains why the routing of I-20 kept changing so much over the years!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.