News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Timelapse footage of my roadtrip from CT to Austin, TX

Started by zzyzx, February 14, 2018, 03:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzyzx

This past fall, I moved from my hometown in SE Connecticut to Austin, TX. It was my first solo road trip spanning several days and I enjoyed driving nearly all of it, with the exception of a few long desolate stretches along I-10 in Louisiana and I-65 in Alabama.

I finally went through the 2+ hours of timelapse footage and edited it with music from my favorite childhood movie, Flight of the Navigator.

I was going to put the routes I took in the description, but I figured most of you here would recognize the areas I traveled through. I stopped to see relatives who live in Western PA, which is why I took a detour on the PA Turnpike and back roads through MD and WV.

kurumi

That soundtrack is the sweet sweet lovechild of "Danger Zone" and Dixie Dregs

First few segments:
I-95 SB, Baldwin Bridge, approaching CT 9
I-95 SB, Pearl Harbor Bridge, approaching I-91 and don't-you-dare-call-it-Route-34
I-95 SB, Stamford, approaching CT 137 NORTH
I-87 NB at I-287
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Henry

Looks like you studied FreewayJim to the letter; that was a well-put video and great choice of music!

I also noticed I-277 around Uptown Charlotte, the Downtown Connector in Atlanta, the French Quarter in New Orleans and downtown Houston, in addition to the roads mentioned above.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

zzyzx

Thanks everyone! I'm a professional video editor, so I love creating and editing these types of videos (yes, FreewayJim was my inspiration)! The GoPro has really come in handy to record my road trips.  I finally went through the footage and mapped out my route, shot-by-shot. Thanks kurumi for starting the list for me:

DAY 1:
I-95, Baldwin Bridge, Old Saybrook, CT
I-95, Pearl Harbor Bridge, New Haven, CT
I-95, Stamford, CT
I-87/287, Tappan Zee Bridge (I'm sticking with the name)
I-287 @ Exit 15, NY/NJ Line
I-78, Hamburg, PA
I-81 @ US-22, Harrisburg, PA
PA-74, Carlisle, PA
Overnight in Carlisle, PA

DAY 2:
I-76 @ US-11 Toll Plaza, Carlisle, PA
I-76 @ MM215
I-76 @ Blue Mountain Tunnel
PA 819, Mount Pleasant, PA
I-70 @ US-522, Hancock, MD (drove a whopping 2 miles in Maryland)
US-522, Berkeley Springs, WV
I-81, outside of Winchester, VA
US-33, Harrisonburg, VA
Overnight in Harrisonburg

DAY 3:
** I stopped in Natural Bridge, VA but didn't get footage driving over the bridge on US-11
I-77, Sugarloaf Mountain, VA/NC Border
I-277, Charlotte, NC
Downtown Charlotte
Me taking pictures of planes taking off from CLT
Overnight in Charlotte

DAY 4:
US 74/29, to I-85, Charlotte, NC
I-85 @ SC 291, Greenville, SC
Stop in Athens, GA
University Parkway approaching I-85, outside Atlanta, GA
I-85 @ I-285
Downtown Connector, Atlanta
I-85/75, near exits 243/242
I-85, approaching ATL (caught a plane landing @ 2:51)
Overnight in Peachtree City, GA (the AirBnb I stayed at overlooked a lake and golf course, where I captured the sunset)

DAY 5:
GA-54, Peachtree City, GA
I-85 @ I-65, Montgomery, AL
I-65 @ Mobile River Bridge, outside of Mobile, AL
I-10 @ MM66, Mississippi
I-110 @ US-90, Biloxi, MS
Stop in Biloxi Beach
I-10 over Lake Pontchartrain, approaching New Orleans, LA
Overnight in Metairie, LA

DAY 6:
I-10 approaching NOLA & French Quarter
I-10 @ MM 212
I-10 @ MM 134
I-10 @ LA-91
I-10 @ Exit 880, LA/TX border
Stopped at Texas Welcome Center
I-10, Houston, TX
Downtown Houston (love the red LED backplates on the traffic signals at 4:40)
I-10, Katy Freeway, Katy, TX
Overnight in Katy, TX

DAY 7:
SH-71 @ Buc'ees, Bastrop, TX
SH-71 @ SH-130, Del Valle, TX
SH-71/US-290 @ S. Mopac Expressway, Austin, TX

Best maintained roads were in NC, despite all the construction on I-77 outside of Charlotte.

Worst maintained was Louisiana, I felt like I was driving through Bridgeport, CT again.

The PA turnpike is still my favorite scenic stretch.

Most boring stretches were I-65 in Alabama and I-10 west of Baton Rouge in LA.

Atlanta had the worse traffic, New York / CT still had the worst drivers.

I'm a big fan of the FYAs and Retroreflective backplates found mostly in VA and GA. Those 2 states seemed to have improved the most in road infrastructure.

Now that I live in Austin, I'll have to get video driving on the 85 mph stretches of SH-130 next!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.