Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Pacific Coast Highway (or similar) as a touring route

<< < (2/3) > >>

DTComposer:
Thoughts about for other cities:

Santa Barbara:
Exit US-101 at Cabrillo Blvd., follow Shoreline, Cliff, Las Positas back to US-101 (i.e. mostly the former full route of CA-225).

Monterey/Santa Cruz:
I don't know if I'd include the 17-Mile Drive/Cannery Row, but maybe well-signed as an "spur/loop" route off CA-1. Same with Capitola/Santa Cruz Boardwalk.

San Francisco:
Exit CA-1 at Skyline Drive (CA-35), follow Skyline/Great Highway/Geary back to CA-1.

When I thought about PCH in this way, I was envisioning it as part of an establishment/re-establishment of some other "Auto Trails" or touring routes:

-El Camino Real (acknowledging that the romanticization of the Mission system has glossed over much of the nastier aspects of that era): The "official" definition, in addition to be non-contiguous and confusing in several places, misses several of the missions by 20 miles or more. I'd like it to be more historically accurate, and get within spitting distance of the missions themselves.

-Gold Rush (i.e., CA-49): I don't know how close this gets to some of the important historic locations.

-Redwood Trail/Highway, probably in a northern and southern segment

-High Sierra Trail: Lassen Volcanic, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon

-Mojave Trail: Joshua Tree, Death Valley, etc.

-Steinbeck/Chavez Trail: a route that covers the agricultural history of the state

mrsman:

--- Quote from: DTComposer on September 25, 2023, 02:54:02 PM ---Thoughts about for other cities:

Santa Barbara:
Exit US-101 at Cabrillo Blvd., follow Shoreline, Cliff, Las Positas back to US-101 (i.e. mostly the former full route of CA-225).

Monterey/Santa Cruz:
I don't know if I'd include the 17-Mile Drive/Cannery Row, but maybe well-signed as an "spur/loop" route off CA-1. Same with Capitola/Santa Cruz Boardwalk.

San Francisco:
Exit CA-1 at Skyline Drive (CA-35), follow Skyline/Great Highway/Geary back to CA-1.

When I thought about PCH in this way, I was envisioning it as part of an establishment/re-establishment of some other "Auto Trails" or touring routes:

-El Camino Real (acknowledging that the romanticization of the Mission system has glossed over much of the nastier aspects of that era): The "official" definition, in addition to be non-contiguous and confusing in several places, misses several of the missions by 20 miles or more. I'd like it to be more historically accurate, and get within spitting distance of the missions themselves.

-Gold Rush (i.e., CA-49): I don't know how close this gets to some of the important historic locations.

-Redwood Trail/Highway, probably in a northern and southern segment

-High Sierra Trail: Lassen Volcanic, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings Canyon

-Mojave Trail: Joshua Tree, Death Valley, etc.

-Steinbeck/Chavez Trail: a route that covers the agricultural history of the state

--- End quote ---

Love it!

Agree for Santa Barbara.

17 mile drive would not be on my list because of the toll nature.

I would absolutely include Legion of Honor/Camino del Mar/Lincoln for SF.

And I also would love a great follow through of El Camino Real that really follows the old routing as close as possible.  On another thread, I've always wondered about some of the routes that actually connect some of the missions.    Especially San Gabriel which is really off from any of the old 101 routings.

Max Rockatansky:
The De Anza Trail more or less emulated the Spanish iteration of El Camino Real.  The El Camino Real bells more or less denote the early American Auto Trail of the same name.  I tend to view both as separate entities since there was some significant differences.

GaryA:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 29, 2023, 05:02:28 PM ---The De Anza Trail more or less emulated the Spanish iteration of El Camino Real.  The El Camino Real bells more or less denote the early American Auto Trail of the same name.  I tend to view both as separate entities since there was some significant differences.

--- End quote ---

I like what they did with the De Anza Trail, where sections are marked "Historic Trail" (where you are on or close to the actual route), and other sections are marked "Auto Tour Route".

Max Rockatansky:
The concept is great, it just needs way more reassurance signage.  I do find it interesting that is marked as “Historic Trail” on Old Stage Road in San Benito County.  Old Stage Road is still technically classified as a public roadway even though it is open one day a year to cars.

https://flic.kr/p/2ibjtgu

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version