News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

LED Streetlighting?

Started by KEK Inc., August 21, 2010, 03:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

I shot this picture in Cupertino, CA on CA-85 and Steven's Creek Bl.  I thought it's interesting that these are going mainstream.  Back in March, they installed them in most of the weigh stations in Santa Clara Co.  Now the city of Morgan Hill uses them quite extensively (but that's city jurisdiction, not state).  Anyways, have any of you other Californians noticed these new LED streetlamps on your state-maintained roads or even local roads?
Take the road less traveled.

myosh_tino

According to the local newspaper, the use of LED street lights is going to increase significantly.  San Jose is starting to replace their old street lights that produce an orange light with the new LED street lights the produce a white-er light.  I know they are already installed at the 85/280 and 85/Stevens Creek Blvd interchanges and the 880/101 interchange. There are also a few streets in Cupertino that also have the LED street lights.  I like them because they are more energy efficient and it's easier to recognize colors (on cars, buildings, clothing, etc).

We used to have white street lights in the valley until the Lick Observatory complained that, due to the growth in the region, the street lights were interfering with their telescopes on Mt. Hamilton.  The solution was to introduce the orange sodium-somthing-or-other street lights.  Apparently, the observatory is OK with the new LED street lights.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

roadfro

I believe the city of Henderson, Nevada has also been retrofitting old street lights with LED lighting. From what I saw on the plane a week ago, the retrofits were mainly on residential streets.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hm insulators

The city of Los Angeles has begun replacing their sodium-vapor lamps with LED lamps. I was out in the San Fernando Valley in July and although they haven't done much of the switchover on the main streets, there's a new LED lamp right next to my friend's house on a little side street in Sylmar.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.