News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitball

I, too, have recently acquired something from Jake's store.  I saw a post he made of a 1950s green US Route 46 shield with the JCT banner in the Historic Road Signs page on Facebook.  I was initially bummed because I saw it about a year and a half after he posted it, as someone had added a comment and brought it back up in the feed.  I asked Jake about it, assuming it was long gone, but to my delight, it was available, and we made a trade and money deal to our mutual satisfaction.  Rather than post images directly here, I'll link you to my show-and-tell page:
https://gardenstatesignals.net/late-50s-us-route-46-shield/

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 25, 2020, 06:46:33 PM
The nice thing about route shields is that they're mostly the same dimensions, so if you have a big collection you can rotate what's displayed every so often, and reuse the same mounts.

I have most of mine hanging on the wall already :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

The haul from Jake's sign clearance sale:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

US71

New arrival: Replica 1960's AR 540

When I-540 was first built around Ft Smith, it was AR 540 until the road was finished.

Max Rockatansky

New stuff...

A replica CA 25 shield Jake Bear made:

A construction CA 85 shield, these are becoming really common in Central California construction zones:

US71

This is my latest addition

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a CA 241 shield:

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a I-215 shield:

ClassicHasClass

D8 makes some yugly shields, especially the ones where they have to add numbers on blanks. I have one of the older Scotchlite I-215s with smaller digits which were silkscreened on with the other paint layers.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on August 07, 2020, 08:03:15 PM
D8 makes some yugly shields, especially the ones where they have to add numbers on blanks. I have one of the older Scotchlite I-215s with smaller digits which were silkscreened on with the other paint layers.

The "2"  was starting to chip off of my sign which I suspect might have played a part in it's removal.  The newer vinyl sheets produced by Caltrans have evolved into a much cleaner single piece which includes the numerals.  I have 805 which is a single vinyl piece and looks far better than the 215. 

Jacob

I picked up this very rare Illinois state named Interstate 80 shield off of Facebook Marketplace today. Very happy to have this in my collection and on my wall! It measures 3ftx3ft, so it's very large!

My Interstate 80 Shield by jdenk82203, on Flickr

US71

Quote from: Jacob on August 09, 2020, 08:06:22 PM
I picked up this very rare Illinois state named Interstate 80 shield off of Facebook Marketplace today. Very happy to have this in my collection and on my wall! It measures 3ftx3ft, so it's very large!

State Named, too :)

Jacob

Quote from: US71 on August 09, 2020, 08:30:09 PM
I picked up this very rare Illinois state named Interstate 80 shield off of Facebook Marketplace today. Very happy to have this in my collection and on my wall! It measures 3ftx3ft, so it’s very large!

Yep, I knew I had to have it when I saw it, even though it set me back nearly $200. You just don’t see Illinois state named shield pop up ANYWHERE! I haven’t seen a single one on eBay in over a year!

Jacob

Did I also mention that it's a 1957 spec? I believe this sign dates back to the 1960s.

US71

Newly acquired "souvenir" size shields.

Jacob

Quote from: Ian on April 06, 2020, 12:19:18 AM
Recently picked up these bad boys. The quarantine has got me in the buying mood lately...

I know you got these a few months ago, but just had to say that Mississippi 55 shield is awesome! The New Hampshire 93 one is neat too! Glad to see people saving these old ones from being turned into scrap metal.

US71

I have a couple more I'm looking at, but don't know if I'll win them

Max Rockatansky

I forgot I have an I-55 Mississippi too:

https://flic.kr/p/SXb771

Jacob

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 11, 2020, 07:41:10 PM

Gotta love the state named shields, it's sad a lot of states don't do it anymore.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Jacob on August 11, 2020, 07:50:54 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 11, 2020, 07:41:10 PM

Gotta love the state named shields, it's sad a lot of states don't do it anymore.

They are still common in California which helps makes them more desirable.  Arizona does the State still but those shields usually are half the price of one from California. 

kphoger

I picked up this very rare Illinois state named Interstate 80 shield off of Facebook Marketplace today.

Plus it has the state name on there, so double bonus!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Jacob

Quote from: kphoger on August 12, 2020, 11:46:26 AM

I picked up this very rare Illinois state named Interstate 80 shield off of Facebook Marketplace today.

That's the reason I bought it. Very hard to find Illinois state named shields anywhere.

Scott5114

Quote from: Jacob on August 12, 2020, 01:26:49 PM

That's the reason I bought it. Very hard to find Illinois state named shields anywhere.

And it has the state name, too! Win-win!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Jacob

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 12, 2020, 01:35:59 PM

Not only that but it's massive, 36x36 inches. The only thing I'm dissapointed in is I can't seem to find a date stamp/marking on the back ☹️

kphoger

Quote from: Jacob on August 13, 2020, 09:02:55 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 12, 2020, 01:35:59 PM

Not only that but it's massive, 36x36 inches. The only thing I'm dissapointed in is I can't seem to find a date stamp/marking on the back ☹️

Fixed your quote string.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.