News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbnv

Quote from: 1 on January 28, 2019, 10:34:37 AM
Quote from: jbnv on January 28, 2019, 09:51:16 AM
This morning: "OBEY THE SIGN OR PAY THE FINE." (With traffic whizzing by at 10+mph over the posted limit.)

Ironically, this is a major election year with the governor and legislature up. IDK about you, but silly platitudes about law enforcement do not endear me to the current administration.

How do you know it was referring to speed limit signs?

You're right, I don't know for certain that it's referring to speed limits. That's the first thing I thought of, particularly since I-12 between Baton Rouge and Hammond is a popular stretch for speed traps. It could be referring to all of the regulatory signs on Louisiana highways. Either way, it seems like a really bad way to get people to comply with the law.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

tribar

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 28, 2019, 10:55:40 AM
Saw one yesterday on the Edens that was something along the lines of "less 'Life In The Fast Lane,' more 'Take It Easy'"

I actually thought this one was clever. Most of IDOT's are cringeworthy.

kphoger

I don't want any "cute" messages on the VMS.  Give me information, possibly an admonition, or else nothing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: tribar on January 28, 2019, 06:30:20 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 28, 2019, 10:55:40 AM
Saw one yesterday on the Edens that was something along the lines of "less 'Life In The Fast Lane,' more 'Take It Easy'"

I actually thought this one was clever. Most of IDOT's are cringeworthy.
It's only clever if you're familiar with the Eagles.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 29, 2019, 01:20:44 PM
I don't want any "cute" messages on the VMS.  Give me information, possibly an admonition, or else nothing.
Today it just said to stay in your car and call *999 if your car stalls during extreme cold.

UCFKnights

I saw today:

ITS NOT
A
FUSS

TO STOP
FOR THE
BUSS

pretty bad imo

Big John

^^ They want you to stop for the LA Lakers owner? :bigass:

hotdogPi

Quote from: Big John on February 01, 2019, 06:06:31 PM
^^ They want you to stop for the LA Lakers owner? :bigass:

Whenever I see a sign that says "no busses" or similar, I always think of it as "no kisses".
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jbnv

LaDOTD gem of the day:

PROTECT YOUR BEADS
DON'T DRIVE DRUNK

(That's a Mardi Gras reference for you out-of-towners.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

tribar

IDOT is "celebrating" Office Space's 20th anniversary today

US 81

"ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE ... AND A SEATBELT"

"AVOID THE HEARTBELT - WEAR A SEATBELT"

Michael

I just saw this picture on Reddit:

Another thread had a picture from a different angle:

tdindy88

MNHighwayMan

They're practically asking for it with that message.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 08, 2019, 10:10:54 PM

I think they're trying to make it go viral.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 1 on March 08, 2019, 10:13:19 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 08, 2019, 10:10:54 PM
I think they're trying to make it go viral.

Sure, but if their goal is driver safety, this is counterproductive. More people are going to be taking pictures while driving simply because they're being told not to.

Scott5114

Quote from: jbnv on January 28, 2019, 09:51:16 AM
This morning: "OBEY THE SIGN OR PAY THE FINE." (With traffic whizzing by at 10+mph over the posted limit.)

Ironically, this is a major election year with the governor and legislature up. IDK about you, but silly platitudes about law enforcement do not endear me to the current administration.

The guy that typed up the sign is probably a civil servant that will be employed whether or not the incumbent is re-elected.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ilpt4u

Quote from: Michael on March 08, 2019, 09:32:13 PM
I just saw this picture on Reddit:

Another thread had a picture from a different angle:

IDOT has that VMS Message up yesterday & today on I-64 in the St Louis Metro East area

I did not take a picture of it while driving...

The pictures posted also appear to be IDOT, but up in Chicago, along the Dan Ryan - looks like Sox Park to the left in the one shot, so somewhere around 35th St on the South Side

kphoger

Yesterday, on my way home from work, I saw there had been an accident on the opposite side of Kellogg, at the Grove Street exit, with cars and police along the shoulder.  A few seconds later, I saw a message on the big VMS in the median:  Accident at Grove on shoulder.  Of course, I was already past Grove!  In the rear-view mirror, I saw that the other side of the VMS was blank.  So they were warning traffic on the wrong side of the highway about the incident.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2019, 12:32:58 PM
Yesterday, on my way home from work, I saw there had been an accident on the opposite side of Kellogg, at the Grove Street exit, with cars and police along the shoulder.  A few seconds later, I saw a message on the big VMS in the median:  Accident at Grove on shoulder.  Of course, I was already past Grove!  In the rear-view mirror, I saw that the other side of the VMS was blank.  So they were warning traffic on the wrong side of the highway about the incident.

NJDOT has does this on numerous occasions.  Or informed people on illogical routings about a current or upcoming issue.

kphoger

I was ready to call and report it, but I had no idea what number to call.  I didn't figure it qualified as a 9-1-1 emergency...
Male pronouns, please.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 28, 2019, 12:45:37 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2019, 12:32:58 PM

NJDOT has does this on numerous occasions.  Or informed people on illogical routings about a current or upcoming issue.
NJDOT also seems to post region-specific weather messages in places where no one is likely to be going there, like about snow in NW NJ on Southbound NJ 42

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2019, 12:53:53 PM
I was ready to call and report it, but I had no idea what number to call.  I didn't figure it qualified as a 9-1-1 emergency...

Probably whoever owns the VMS. Either the KDOT district office, or the city of Wichita (I seem to remember Kellogg is owned by the city, despite carrying US-54/400).

My guess is that whoever posted the message misread a map or list of signs and punched in the number for the sign facing the wrong direction.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tribar

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2019, 12:53:53 PM

I would think 511.

jbnv

LaDOTD gem of the day:

They must have hired someone from Massachusetts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.