Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jakeroot

Not so sure. Doesn't look like quite the right shape. Though even if it was, it's an easy shape to replicate.

thenetwork

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

jakeroot

My view...

hbelkins

It's the "Business Loop I-6" photo that has been posted before.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

plain

The sheer suck in these signs (there's 2) is almost unbearable.

https://goo.gl/maps/h7X1vQEUvgp

Image from GSV

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: plain on October 03, 2018, 07:38:12 AM
The sheer suck in these signs (there's 2) is almost unbearable.

https://goo.gl/maps/h7X1vQEUvgp

Image from GSV

SM-S820L

I mean, it's from the Land of Misfit Signs (i.e. Chesapeake, Norfolk, and Virginia Beach), so that hardly surprises me at all.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

cjk374

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on August 08, 2016, 10:31:13 AM
I just drove by this one on Saturday.  I suspect it's not heavily enforced...  :sombrero:

Translation:  60 km/h IN PRESENCE OF BUTTERFLIES

I got a better picture of one of these earlier this year.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on October 04, 2018, 09:46:51 AM
Quote from: kphoger on August 08, 2016, 10:31:13 AM
I just drove by this one on Saturday.  I suspect it's not heavily enforced...  :sombrero:

Translation:  60 km/h IN PRESENCE OF BUTTERFLIES

I got a better picture of one of these earlier this year.

Careful, ou may piss off The Monarch and his Murderflies Henchman...

...or this may happen:

cjk374

Old sign with cateye reflectors that hung from the old Ouachita River bridge in Columbia, LA.

Original sign from old US 165/LA 4 Ouachita River bridge. by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

Other shots I took from this area:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmjAYMD5

Michael

I rode with a friend from Liverpool to Warwick, NY this weekend to go to a wedding.  On NY 17 eastbound in Liberty, I saw this Pizza Hut sign with their old logo.  The sign looked fairly new, but the logo was last used in 1999.

On the way back, we went through PA.  On I-84 westbound, my friend noticed that some of the mile markers used fractions, and others used decimals.  We didn't notice any pattern to which was used.

tckma

Quote from: cjk374 on October 04, 2018, 12:33:19 PM
Old sign with cateye reflectors that hung from the old Ouachita River bridge in Columbia, LA.

Governor Allen wasn't great; he was just O.K., apparently.

vdeane

Quote from: Michael on October 07, 2018, 09:30:25 PM
On the way back, we went through PA.  On I-84 westbound, my friend noticed that some of the mile markers used fractions, and others used decimals.  We didn't notice any pattern to which was used.
Probably just when they were replaced.  The decimals are from the MUTCD (and are expanding; I don't recall there being any at all the first time I drove I-84).  The fractions appear to be an older PennDOT standard.

If you want to talk inconsistent milemarkers, just look at Region 8 which can't seem to decide if it wants to use green and white or all green tenths even on brand new installs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ModernDayWarrior

Non-standard and ugly font on a city limit sign, Caledonia, MO

PHLBOS

Quote from: ModernDayWarrior on October 09, 2018, 10:32:39 PM
Non-standard and ugly font on a city limit sign, Caledonia, MO

Yet the small POP 130 font appears to be Series D.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/fwQm7WTkAm72 I thought at first this was a typical reassurance shield with a construction sign  afterward attached, but I now figured its cause of the circle ahead and the fact that US 1 Business changes alignments there.  The construction is to inform straight through motorists to expect it only and that those destined elsewhere would not encounter it all.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on October 11, 2018, 04:53:21 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/fwQm7WTkAm72 I thought at first this was a typical reassurance shield with a construction sign  afterward attached, but I now figured its cause of the circle ahead and the fact that US 1 Business changes alignments there.  The construction is to inform straight through motorists to expect it only and that those destined elsewhere would not encounter it all.

That's exactly how I would have interpreted it:  road construction on Bus-1.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on October 12, 2018, 01:12:49 PM

I thought this was the standard way of warning about road work on another road.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 12, 2018, 02:57:46 PM

Road work ½ mile (or whatever distance), yes. Road work ahead, no, because that section of US 1 BUS is not ahead.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on October 12, 2018, 03:01:36 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 12, 2018, 02:57:46 PM

Road work ½ mile (or whatever distance), yes. Road work ahead, no, because that section of US 1 BUS is not ahead.

I see that setup fairly often when a crossroad has road construction.

<ROAD WORK AHEAD>
[119th Street]

<MAX WIDTH 11'6">
[EAST]
{132}
Male pronouns, please.

machias

I found this interesting during my recent 13 state (4533 miles) road trip. Found in Elko, Nevada.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.