News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

Quote from: bjrush on March 10, 2014, 09:07:57 PM
AHTD, I was looking at the Benton County construction map and it looks to me that the BVB sections being constructed are showing up as frontage roads for I-49, not as the main lanes. Is this the case? Hopefully the map is in error.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/programs_contracts_division/gis/Current_JobStatusMaps/job_status_benton.pdf

I looked at the construction set for Hwy 72 north-Co. Rd. 34 (job 090293) and there is a (F) at the end of the job title. Does this indicate "frontage road"?

http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/PREVIOUS%20LETTING%20PLANS/2012/May%202012/090293.pdf
(warning y'all, huge file)

I believe the (F) is for Federal.

Also, the district maps and their system of updating it, is ridiculous.  I'm definitely looking forward to an updated AHTD website!

AHTD

Quote from: bjrush on March 10, 2014, 09:07:57 PM
AHTD, I was looking at the Benton County construction map and it looks to me that the BVB sections being constructed are showing up as frontage roads for I-49, not as the main lanes. Is this the case? Hopefully the map is in error.

http://www.arkansashighways.com/programs_contracts_division/gis/Current_JobStatusMaps/job_status_benton.pdf

I looked at the construction set for Hwy 72 north-Co. Rd. 34 (job 090293) and there is a (F) at the end of the job title. Does this indicate "frontage road"?

http://www.arkansashighways.com/ProgCon/PREVIOUS%20LETTING%20PLANS/2012/May%202012/090293.pdf
(warning y'all, huge file)

No frontage road depicted on that map. We just placed the construction job next to the planning job instead of laying one on top of another. The (F) you see after the job number is to indicate federal funding. These projects currently under construction are part of our STIP. The one we just let that includes the modified connector interchange is funded by the half-cent sales tax.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Grzrd

Quote from: AHTD on March 27, 2014, 05:59:11 PM
And speaking of I-49....
The local FHWA Division Office approved our application for submittal to the FHWA in Washington, D.C.
This is not an approval of our request, only an authorization to proceed with official submittal to FHWA. This happened in the last week or so.
(above quote from Arkansas State Highway 245 Removed from System thread)

AHTD, this is great news! Has the local FHWA Division Office indicated whether, assuming no unforeseen problems/issues, FHWA Washington should approve the application before Arkansas and Louisiana meet at the state line?

O Tamandua

Interesting.  There are now "bagged up" (I don't know what the technical term the highway departments use for that  :spin: ) "Arkansas 549" signs installed on the new west Highway 72 bridge between Gravette and Hiwasse, even though no pavement whatsoever has yet been laid from just south of the bridge to (as far as I can tell) the dirt work's current northern terminus at Rocky Dell Hollow Road.

AHTD, I'm keeping an eye out for the fleet of equipment surely to descend around the new east Highway 72 bridge in Hiwasse in preparation for the Hiwasse-to-I-540 segment.  :nod:

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on April 08, 2014, 09:20:12 PM
Interesting.  There are now "bagged up" (I don't know what the technical term the highway departments use for that  :spin: ) "Arkansas 549" signs installed on the new west Highway 72 bridge between Gravette and Hiwasse, even though no pavement whatsoever has yet been laid from just south of the bridge to (as far as I can tell) the dirt work's current northern terminus at Rocky Dell Hollow Road.

AHTD, I'm keeping an eye out for the fleet of equipment surely to descend around the new east Highway 72 bridge in Hiwasse in preparation for the Hiwasse-to-I-540 segment.  :nod:

Ooh! Ooh! I'll have to go look :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on April 08, 2014, 10:05:16 PM

Hiwasse needs a pizza parlor.

(And seriously, seems a little early to put the "bagged up" signs out for that highway, but the highway department has the plans, not I.)

M86

That's only about 15 miles from me... Road trip tomorrow for me, maybe.  I haven't been out that way for a while!

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on April 08, 2014, 10:26:52 PM

Actually, Hiwasse is about to go the way of Baldwin, Arkansas (ie cease to exist as an independent entity).  BUT there's a c-store at 59/72 in Gravette that has Hunt Brothers (blarg!)   Once 49 (or 549) becomes some semblance of reality, I'm sure Kum & Go or Casey's will set up shop... not that their pizza is much better. 

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on April 09, 2014, 10:54:54 AM
Quote from: O Tamandua on April 08, 2014, 10:26:52 PM

Actually, Hiwasse is about to go the way of Baldwin, Arkansas (ie cease to exist as an independent entity).  BUT there's a c-store at 59/72 in Gravette that has Hunt Brothers (blarg!)   Once 49 (or 549) becomes some semblance of reality, I'm sure Kum & Go or Casey's will set up shop... not that their pizza is much better.

Heard from the horse's mouth...Domino's will likely go out there, too.  (The city of Bella Vista owns land "for future development" all along future I-49 straight west of B.V. - Domino's Bella Vista, with few exceptions, does not deliver to the Highlands area (only about 1/2 of the city...)

AHTD

Shouldn't be long. The same contractor constructing the segment between State Highway 72 north of (the city formerly known as) Hiwasse to Benton County Road 34, will construct the part to I-540. We are working on putting together a "dirt turning" ceremony for this project in May to signify its importance as the first project under construction funded by the half-cent sales tax program.

More on this later.

O Tamandua

Quote from: AHTD on April 09, 2014, 11:42:35 AM

Shouldn't be long. The same contractor constructing the segment between State Highway 72 north of (the city formerly known as) Hiwasse to Benton County Road 34, will construct the part to I-540. We are working on putting together a "dirt turning" ceremony for this project in May to signify its importance as the first project under construction funded by the half-cent sales tax program.

More on this later.

Excellent, AHTD.  And, thanks.

Fixed quote. - rmf67

AHTD

The request for I-49 designation in Arkansas has been submitted to the FHWA. We will post relevant documents in this thread as well as the thread for the Texarkana area.

Application Submitted to AASHTO (09-09-13)
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Request-AASHTO.pdf

Application Submitted to FHWA for I-49 in Northwest Arkansas (02-03-14)
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Request-north.pdf

Application Submitted to FHWA for I-49 in Southwest Arkansas (03-31-14)
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Request-south.pdf

M86

Quote from: AHTD on April 10, 2014, 05:07:18 PM
The request for I-49 designation in Arkansas has been submitted to the FHWA. We will post relevant documents in this thread as well as the thread for the Texarkana area.

I love how Scott Bennett crosses out the formal name of the recipient in the letter and writes their first name.  Props for that! 

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PDFRemoval of the Interstate 540 designation from Interstate 40
(currently dual signed) between Van Buren and Alma

Thank you for listening to all of us about I-540 being officially approved along I-40 and needing to be eliminated as well when converting I-540 North of I-40 into I-49. :)

Still think you'll need to send a request into the AASHTO about it as well so it's removed from their logs too. ;)

AHTD

And thank you for being vigilant about it. We have so much going on it was almost overlooked because we just always considered both stretches of I-540 internally as spurs.

Once we obtain approval for I-49, I-540 in Ft. Smith area WILL revert to a spur. Exit numbers start at I -40. We are in the process of re-logging this stretch because the log miles begin at the state line. To be consistent, log miles will begin at I-40 too.

Anyone catch that our request (to FHWA) didn't include the new location at Barling? It will be a separate request. This road should be almost complete and we are discussing a "ride before you drive" public event before it opens. Will be working with the good folks over at Chaffee Crossing to put this on.

Stay tuned for details!

AHTD

Quote from: M86 on April 11, 2014, 01:57:52 AM

I love how Scott Bennett crosses out the formal name of the recipient in the letter and writes their first name.  Props for that!

We have a GREAT working relationship with her and her staff. You will be pleased to know she represents Arkansas well at the Federal level.

AHTD

ARKANSAS RECEIVES APPROVAL FOR I-49 ROUTE DESIGNATION

It's official!

We received approval from FHWA for a new Interstate in Arkansas. Here are a few facts:

The approval is for renaming I-540 from I-40 to U.S. 62/State Highway 102 (Exit 86) as I-49; and removal of the co-designation of I-540 from I-40 between Van Buren and Alma.

U.S. Highway 71 from U.S. Highway 62/State Highway 102 (Exit 86) to U.S. 71-B (Exit 93) has been ADDED to the Interstate system and is approved for designation as I-49. This increases Arkansas' Interstate mileage by 5.72 miles for a total of 661.23 miles.

The completed portion of the Bella Vista Bypass (from State Highway 72 south of Hiwasse to State Highway 72 north of Hiwasse) is approved for designation as Future I-49. This stretch of road will actually open to traffic next week and will be co-signed as State Highway 549/Future I-49.

We will begin swapping route markers on I-540 next week. The first will be in the southbound direction at the northern most end of the route. There are approximately 697 new signs to erect. The I-540 signs will come down as the I-49 signs go up. We estimate one month to get this done.

New exit numbers for the ENTIRE I-49 corridor in Arkansas have already been logged, however these will not be signed until after the I-49 route has been approved and opened to traffic from U.S. Highway 71 North of Texarkana to the Louisiana state line.

Here is the approval letter from FHWA:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-approval-north.pdf

Here is our news release about it:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2014/NR%2014-098.pdf

US71

Quote from: AHTD on April 16, 2014, 12:16:08 PM

It's official!

We received approval from FHWA for a new Interstate in Arkansas. Here are a few facts:

The approval is for renaming I-540 from I-40 to U.S. 62/State Highway 102 (Exit 86) as I-49; and removal of the co-designation of I-540 from I-40 between Van Buren and Alma.

U.S. Highway 71 from U.S. Highway 62/State Highway 102 (Exit 86) to U.S. 71-B (Exit 93) has been ADDED to the Interstate system and is approved for designation as I-49. This increases Arkansas' Interstate mileage by 5.72 miles for a total of 661.23 miles.

The completed portion of the Bella Vista Bypass (from State Highway 72 south of Hiwasse to State Highway 72 north of Hiwasse) is approved for designation as Future I-49. This stretch of road will actually open to traffic next week and will be co-signed as State Highway 549/Future I-49.

We will begin swapping route markers on I-540 next week. The first will be in the southbound direction at the northern most end of the route. There are approximately 697 new signs to erect. The I-540 signs will come down as the I-49 signs go up. We estimate one month to get this done.

New exit numbers for the ENTIRE I-49 corridor in Arkansas have already been logged, however these will not be signed until after the I-49 route has been approved and opened to traffic from U.S. Highway 71 North of Texarkana to the Louisiana state line.

Here is the approval letter from FHWA:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-approval-north.pdf

http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-announcement-north.pdf

You just posted new signs on the Ft Smith-Van Buren leg for I-40/I-540. Will those have to be replaced?

Grzrd

Quote from: AHTD on April 11, 2014, 06:58:47 AM
Anyone catch that our request (to FHWA) didn't include the new location at Barling? It will be a separate request.
Quote from: AHTD on April 16, 2014, 12:16:08 PM

It's official! ....
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-announcement-north.pdf

Great news, AHTD! Thanks for posting it.

The news release discusses the new location at Barling:

... the new route across Fort Chaffee near Fort Smith that [is] currently under construction will have dual designation as Highway 549 and Future Interstate 49,"  Bennett added.

Although I appreciate the confidence that FHWA will approve the Future I-49 request, aren't you jumping the gun a little bit?

AHTD

You are correct. We edited that out at the last minute and there is another "final" version we will put in its place.

Sorry, busy day here!!!!

Scott5114

Congrats on the redesignation. Hopefully this will make the political situation for the remaining segments easier since it will be more obvious that they represent a gap in a long Interstate route. I'm sure David will have some photos when the new signs go up; I'm looking forward to seeing those.

Suppose you guys already have plans of what to do with the old I-540 signs? :P I'm sure there's a few people on here who would like to have one!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

The High Plains Traveler

So, AHTD: are the mileposts and exit numbers along redesignated I-49 going to be changed now, or will those remain the same until a final alignment for the entire I-49 corridor south of Fort Smith is selected?
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

AHTD

They will be changed when the southern part is approved (to the LA state line). Although we don't have a final alignment yet for the section between Ft. Smith and Texarkana, we made our best guess at what those mileposts and exits will be north of I-40. There may have to be adjustments in the future, but considering the time between now and when we would actually have to go back and make those adjustments, it will work for now.

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2014, 01:34:04 PM
Congrats on the redesignation. Hopefully this will make the political situation for the remaining segments easier since it will be more obvious that they represent a gap in a long Interstate route. I'm sure David will have some photos when the new signs go up; I'm looking forward to seeing those.

Suppose you guys already have plans of what to do with the old I-540 signs? :P I'm sure there's a few people on here who would like to have one!
Most often, the ones in good condition are reused: they have a machine that will scrape off the old markings before applying new ones. (I read that in an Arkansas Highways once) . Years ago, I ran into the sign crew replacing AR 471 with US 71B and no amount of begging would persuade them to let me have a souvenir.   :thumbdown:

roadman65

Newsflash from the owner of this site on his FB page!  I-540 in NW Arkansas is now officially I-49 and will officially be signed later this month.  Only south of I-40 will it remain I-540 as that is not going to be part of the KC to NO interstate, and the Bella Vista Bypass will become AR 549 for the time being.

http://arkansasnews.com/news/arkansas/highway-officials-announce-naming-part-i-49-statewide-construction-program
Here is a news article that I found to support this info.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.