News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Tamandua

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 24, 2020, 01:31:01 PM
Quote from: O Tamandua on October 24, 2020, 01:11:30 PM
Thank you for the responses, all.  It seems like I remember at West Memphis the I-55 northbound signs used to say "Blytheville St Louis" as the destination rather than "Cape Girardeau", so that's also why I wondered about the potential "Kansas City" I-49 counterparts in Alma.  (Apologies, I don't have time in Google to go "drive" that route at WM to see what the signs indicate today.)

Streetview still has NB I-55 with Blytheville and St. Louis in West Memphis..  I don't recall Cape Girardeau being mentioned much on I-55 except on the sections to Cape from Sikeston and St. Louis.

Revive 755, it may not happen this time, but knowing how every section of I-49 completed now is like replacing a new hose on a radiator that has had several other old hoses, and will put ever more pressure to finish the big Alma-to-Texarkana section...this highway will someday be as key of a trucking corridor as I-57 is, so I do expect to see a "Kansas City" turnoff sign some day at Alma.  BTW, thanks also for the response.

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on October 24, 2020, 04:58:04 PM
Thank you for the responses, all.  It seems like I remember at West Memphis the I-55 northbound signs used to say "Blytheville St Louis" as the destination rather than "Cape Girardeau", so that's also why I wondered about the potential "Kansas City" I-49 counterparts in Alma.  (Apologies, I don't have time in Google to go "drive" that route at WM to see what the signs indicate today.)

Streetview still has NB I-55 with Blytheville and St. Louis in West Memphis..  I don't recall Cape Girardeau being mentioned much on I-55 except on the sections to Cape from Sikeston and St. Louis.

Revive 755, it may not happen this time, but knowing how every section of I-49 completed now is like replacing a new hose on a radiator that has had several other old hoses, and will put ever more pressure to finish the big Alma-to-Texarkana section...this highway will someday be as key of a trucking corridor as I-57 is, so I do expect to see a "Kansas City" turnoff sign some day at Alma.  BTW, thanks also for the response.

The last overhead for 49 at Bentonville has Joplin as the Control City

Kansas City doesn't appear until 49 gets to Joplin.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on October 24, 2020, 05:11:36 PM

Joplin is certainly growing, post-horrific 2011 tornado and now that it's the crossroads of two busy interstates. I'll hang loose and see what happens (as if I can do anything else about it ">) .

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on October 24, 2020, 07:03:51 PM
Quote from: US71 on October 24, 2020, 05:11:36 PM

Joplin is certainly growing, post-horrific 2011 tornado and now that it's the crossroads of two busy interstates. I'll hang loose and see what happens (as if I can do anything else about it ">) .

They are also getting a Casey's Distribution Center.  Joplin also pulls in the roadies following old US 66.  Plus Mercy built a band new hospital to replace the one that was skragged by the tornado

I-55

A similar phenomenon to I-57 in Illinois: Chicago and Memphis at interstate junctions, smaller cities (Champaign, Effingham, etc.) at arterial interchanges.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

sparker

Just surprised that, considering the prominence of Wal-Mart and Bentonville in the general NWA area, the NB BGS shown above (in reply #2669) doesn't have Bentonville as a nearfield control city.   

US71

Quote from: sparker on October 24, 2020, 09:44:49 PM
Just surprised that, considering the prominence of Wal-Mart and Bentonville in the general NWA area, the NB BGS shown above (in reply #2669) doesn't have Bentonville as a nearfield control city.   

IIRC, before the signs were updated at the new Exit 67, Springdale & Rogers were control for 49 North

galador

There's an article in the Southwest Times Record (Fort Smith paper) saying that if Issue 1 is approved, then ARDOT will begin work on the bridge between Fort Smith and Alma:

QuoteArkansas State Highway Commissioner Keith Gibson of Fort Smith said Issue 1 funds, if approved by voters, would give the state enough money to begin construction on I-49 between Alma and Chaffee Crossing.

Gibson said funds from the proposed 0.5% sales tax for Issue 1 would secure $270 million for a two-lane stretch of the interstate from Alma to Chaffee Crossing to be constructed over the next 10 years. If approved, the Arkansas State Highway Commission would vote on the project with hopes of securing federal funding as well.

mvak36

I wonder how they're going to do the Arkansas River bridge. Are they going to build a two lane bridge now and build a new one once they get funding or will they just build a four lane bridge? IMO, it seems like building the 4 lane bridge now would save money since the construction costs will just keep going up.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

US71

Quote from: mvak36 on October 26, 2020, 03:00:54 PM
I wonder how they're going to do the Arkansas River bridge. Are they going to build a two lane bridge now and build a new one once they get funding or will they just build a four lane bridge? IMO, it seems like building the 4 lane bridge now would save money since the construction costs will just keep going up.

If it's anything like (future) I-49 north if Bentonville, it will be built as 2 lanes, but right of way for 4.

bwana39

I didn't see where they were gonna build a bridge at all. What It read was the roads. Build the road then dare someone to not BRIDGE the gap.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

mvak36

Quote from: bwana39 on October 26, 2020, 06:08:25 PM

I didn't see where they were gonna build a bridge at all. What It read was the roads. Build the road then dare someone to not BRIDGE the gap.

In the article when they said "I-49 between Alma and Chaffee Crossing", I figured it would include the bridge since Chaffee Crossing is south of the river.

US71

QuoteThe proposed I-49 route would cross Arkansas 162 near Hamer Road, then cross Frog Bayou near Waterfront Road before skirting the east side of Kibler at New Town Road, then proceed south and west over Thornhill Street, Westville Road and Gun Club Road before crossing the Arkansas River at Springhill Park into Barling, then connecting with I-549 at Arkansas 22.

https://www.swtimes.com/news/20180330/ardots-sneak-peek-of-i-49-extension-includes-toll-system (Southwest Times Record Mar 30, 2018 )

Bobby5280

It's going to take them 10 years to build a 2-lane chunk of highway between Alma and Chaffee Crossing? Geez that's pathetic.

The extreme costs and slower than glacier pace rate of road building in the US completely contradicts the BS about "infrastructure plans" floated by politicians on the campaign trail. Their boasts don't seem to be connected to reality. Or maybe when they talk about "infrastructure" they mean something entirely different from roads or even rail. Maybe it just means giving money to telcos to put up 5G towers faster or some nonsense similar to it.

Gordon

What I don't like about the 1/2 cent tax is there is a lot the money spent in the Little rock area so it is not to help other areas with less population. The I30 crossing is over 600 million and they have a phase 2 planned also. Our commissioners need to see that the money is for projects that will help create jobs and growth like I49 will when finished.

US71

Quote from: Gordon on October 26, 2020, 08:34:47 PM
What I don't like about the 1/2 cent tax is there is a lot the money spent in the Little rock area so it is not to help other areas with less population. The I30 crossing is over 600 million and they have a phase 2 planned also. Our commissioners need to see that the money is for projects that will help create jobs and growth like I49 will when finished.

That is how Arkansas works, sadly. Littlr Rock and NWA get the bulk of the money, everyone else fights over what's left.

edwaleni

Quote from: US71 on October 26, 2020, 08:55:27 PM

That is how Arkansas works, sadly. Little Rock and NWA get the bulk of the money, everyone else fights over what's left.

In Arkansas, Little Rock and NWA produce more of the money. Therefore they tend to get more.

Unless you think finishing I-57 was a fight for "what's left". There are no major population centers between Little Rock and the Missouri/Arkansas border. Jonesboro is not even on the route. Yet the US-67 corridor has done pretty darn good getting funding.

Don't let Arkansas become Illinois, building more interstate highway than they can afford to maintain.

sparker

Quote from: US71 on October 26, 2020, 03:50:11 PM

If it's anything like (future) I-49 north if Bentonville, it will be built as 2 lanes, but right of way for 4.

Can't really see a 2-lane bridge structure that would have to be twinned at some future point.  More than likely the bridge itself will be 4 lanes (maybe initially striped for 2), but the approaches might well be constructed, like the original AR 549 along the Bella Vista bypass,  as 2 lanes on a 4-lane ROW.  If a DOT is for various reasons intent on kicking the proverbial can down the road re eking out the funding, that's about the only rational way to do so. 

mvak36

Quote from: sparker on October 27, 2020, 04:16:57 AM
Quote from: US71 on October 26, 2020, 03:50:11 PM

Can't really see a 2-lane bridge structure that would have to be twinned at some future point.  More than likely the bridge itself will be 4 lanes (maybe initially striped for 2), but the approaches might well be constructed, like the original AR 549 along the Bella Vista bypass,  as 2 lanes on a 4-lane ROW.  If a DOT is for various reasons intent on kicking the proverbial can down the road re eking out the funding, that's about the only rational way to do so.
That's what I'm hoping it will be as well, but who knows what ARDOT has planned.

Gordon

This was the proposal when they did the toll study.                                                                                                                                             
"Tom responded and said with the 2-lane option, one of the future two bridges at
proposed grade separation and interchanges would be built. He also stated that at
the Arkansas River, options could be a full build of a 4-lane bridge, or build just a
2-lane bridge and sub structure that lies in the river, to minimize future impacts to
the river and navigation channel. "

Henry

I do hope that the four-lane bridge will be built. As it is, it really doesn't make sense to build one with two lanes, and then delay the other bridge until a determined date.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Bobby5280

Quote from: sparkerCan't really see a 2-lane bridge structure that would have to be twinned at some future point.

A lot of new Interstate highway bridges are built as twin span structures, even seemingly non-descript bridges without suspension towers, truss structures or other decorative features. Maybe one bridge will be built for the initial 2 lanes and then a second bridge for the second set of lanes will be built later.

US71

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 28, 2020, 12:15:06 PM
Quote from: sparkerCan't really see a 2-lane bridge structure that would have to be twinned at some future point.

A lot of new Interstate highway bridges are built as twin span structures, even seemingly non-descript bridges without suspension towers, truss structures or other decorative features. Maybe one bridge will be built for the initial 2 lanes and then a second bridge for the second set of lanes will be built later.

That is what was done on current 549: build 2 lane, but ROW for 2 additional. In the case of 549 going UNDER another road, short sections of ALL lanes were built (you can see this at Hwy 72)

sparker

Quote from: Bobby5280 on October 28, 2020, 12:15:06 PM

Somehow I doubt ADOT will employ this approach; the cost -- particularly with inevitable inflation raising the cost of a 2nd bridge -- of doing two individual bridges would be substantially more than a single 4-lane structure.  Unless there's a major near-term local clamoring for a Fort Smith bypass -- and the presence of I-540 mitigates against that -- there's no reason to opt for a partial solution that will need to be twinned at a later date at extra expense.  I'm guessing that ADOT will have to grit their teeth, browbeat the state legislature, and modify the stance on floating bonds for projects such as this if the project is to actually get off the starting blocks.   

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on October 26, 2020, 08:55:27 PM

That is how Arkansas works, sadly. Littlr Rock and NWA get the bulk of the money, everyone else fights over what's left.

In a Pay As You Go state like Arkansas, the Pay Goes where the money is.  Have to have funds to invest with at the end of the day.  Uncle Sam doesn't "make it rain" like he used to after all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.