News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Tamandua

Well, if Issue 1 is going to help finance the Interstate 49 Arkansas River Bridge between completed I-49 sections at Alma and Barling, polls appear to indicate that bridge will be built (and it's a pity that the late Ivy Owen of Chaffee Crossing didn't get to drive that bridge as he thought he might):

https://talkbusiness.net/2020/10/arkansas-poll-looks-good-for-trump-cotton-highway-tax/

BTW, talking about other sections of Arkansas benefitting, given that I-30 is having extra lanes added in Texarkana in advance of Texas I-369's linkage to that highway, it's inevitable that southwest Arkansas, at least, will see some significant things happening in the future.  The pressure WILL grow to complete I-49 Arkansas.

sprjus4

Quote from: O Tamandua on October 28, 2020, 07:14:21 PM
given that I-30 is having extra lanes added in Texarkana
FTFY

O Tamandua

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 28, 2020, 07:37:37 PM
Quote from: O Tamandua on October 28, 2020, 07:14:21 PM
given that I-30 is having extra lanes added in Texarkana
FTFY

Ecch...I ALWAYS make that mistake.  TY. ">) :pan:

US71

Looks like full speed ahead for Future 49 in NW Arkansas.

Weather permitting, I may do a drive-by this next week or check on Missouri.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

O Tamandua

Now the attention turns to the I-49 bridge at the Arkansas River:

I-49, possible truck reroute bridge costs estimated in hundreds of millions

The estimated cost of the I-49 bridge on the other end of the city is at least $30 million greater than the total amount of sales tax revenue the state expects for the entire route from Chaffee to Alma in the next 10 years. But the Department of Transportation also receives money from the state diesel and gas taxes, Gibson explained.

Gibson said the state plans to construct a two-lane extension of the highway with the state funds in hopes that federal money will be sent their way after the project has begun. They would then extend it to four lanes, he said.

Adams used the Garrison Bridge, which is technically two bridges next to each other, as an example of how a bridge could be expanded from two lanes to four.

Gibson said he is "very optimistic" that I-49 will be constructed.

"We have the support of the governor, our legislative delegation, probably a majority of the state legislature. I can't predict the future, but that's the plan. The plan is to do it," Gibson said. "We have the funding for it now that's in place."

https://www.swtimes.com/story/news/2020/12/12/i-49-bridge-and-possible-bridge-reroute-traffic-not-cheap/3868773001/

The Ghostbuster

Is this the next section of future Interstate 49 that will be constructed? From AR 255 and across the Arkansas River, en route to Interstate 40?

Bobby5280

The Alma to Barling segment of I-49 (from the I-49/I-40 interchange down across the Arkansas River to connect to the currently orphaned freeway segment by Fort Chaffee) is supposed to be the next big priority after the Belle Vista Bypass is completed to the Missouri border. But the price tag is huge. I guess it can't be too surprising AR DOT is planning on building this segment 2 lanes at a time.

There are multiple ways how AR DOT can go about building I-49 between Texarkana and Fort Smith. They don't necessarily have to build the Alma to Barling segment first. Although it might be the best choice considering the ongoing price inflation of road construction -build it now for one price or build it later for far more.

AR DOT might be able to stretch the budget farther by starting work on the bypass segments in/near Mansfield, Waldron, Mena, DeQueen or Ashdown. They have to secure the ROW in those towns at some point. Better sooner than later. Just establishing a basic Super-2 road with at-grade intersections wouldn't be all that expensive. It would also give those towns a head start on growing into those new highway segments. By the time I-49 would be fully complete there would likely be a decent amount of businesses and services near the Interstate exits.

edwaleni

I would surmise that the Alma to Barling section will be paid for as part of a defense reauthorization bill due to its proximity to Fort Chaffee.

Fort Chaffee will need some sort of "upgrade" and the road money will be buried in there.

Bobby5280

That all depends on how important Fort Chaffee remains to the armed forces. New rounds of Base Realignment And Closure (aka "BRAC") are in the works. Fort Chaffee currently operates as a post for the Arkansas National Guard. It was formerly a full time US Army post, but was set to close in the 1995 round of BRAC meetings. Most of the post's original field artillery training missions were transferred over to Fort Sill (over here in SW OK) in the late 1950's.

Much of the former Army post property is being converted to residential and commercial development as part of "Chaffee Crossing." A completed I-49 highway from I-40 down farther South would likely help in that redevelopment effort.

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on December 14, 2020, 09:49:07 PM
I would surmise that the Alma to Barling section will be paid for as part of a defense reauthorization bill due to its proximity to Fort Chaffee.

Fort Chaffee will need some sort of "upgrade" and the road money will be buried in there.

Fort Chaffee isn't a very high priority for the Dept. of Defense.  They've tried to shut it down a few times over the past couple of decades now (BRAC, Base Realignment And Closure), but it continues to live on as a training base for the National Guard, with some Canadian troops popping down periodically for some warm weather training.  It's actually the reason a good portion of the existing section of I-49 in Barling/Ft. Smith is complete, as they got the land basically donated.

abqtraveler

Quote from: MikieTimT on December 14, 2020, 11:17:45 PM

Fort Chaffee isn't a very high priority for the Dept. of Defense.  They've tried to shut it down a few times over the past couple of decades now (BRAC, Base Realignment And Closure), but it continues to live on as a training base for the National Guard, with some Canadian troops popping down periodically for some warm weather training.  It's actually the reason a good portion of the existing section of I-49 in Barling/Ft. Smith is complete, as they got the land basically donated.

The section through Fort Chaffee was completed using funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). It was the only segment between Fort Smith and Texarkana that was deemed "shovel ready" and thus met the requirements to get funded.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

MikieTimT

Quote from: abqtraveler on December 15, 2020, 03:40:05 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on December 14, 2020, 11:17:45 PM

The section through Fort Chaffee was completed using funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). It was the only segment between Fort Smith and Texarkana that was deemed "shovel ready" and thus met the requirements to get funded.

True.  But the right-of-way was donated, which is a fairly big reason it was "shovel ready."

"Those are interstates, major arteries, routes of regional significance. And there are some areas where we've had to do capacity upgrades, like we just got finished widening I-49 to three lanes in both directions. With a project like this – we were able to build the stretch across Chaffee Crossing relatively cheaply in terms of construction because the federal government gave us the land. We did not have to purchase right-of-way. Right-of-way purchase, utility relocation costs – those tremendously add to the cost of a project."
https://talkbusiness.net/2018/04/ardot-dusts-off-600-million-future-i-49-barling-to-alma-stretch/

Road Hog

I'm in agreement on the Arkansas River bridge. Bite the bullet now and build the segment in full. It will be far cheaper now than it will be in 10 to 20 years. Plus it'll be on the back burner after Leslie Rutledge or someone else who is non-NWA is elected the next governor.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Road Hog on December 15, 2020, 06:46:42 PM
I'm in agreement on the Arkansas River bridge. Bite the bullet now and build the segment in full. It will be far cheaper now than it will be in 10 to 20 years. Plus it'll be on the back burner after Leslie Rutledge or someone else who is non-NWA is elected the next governor.

I second that.  I have family down in Charleston, 20 miles east of Barling and would use it regularly.  The current route used is AR-59, which is 2 lanes currently, adds 7 miles over what I-49 will ultimately enable, and crosses the river a half mile upstream over L&D 13.  It isn't particularly packed with traffic at this point, but with further development in Chaffee Crossing, that will change.  Also, I would almost guarantee that there are industrial interests that are holding out on development plans in Chaffee Crossing until there is a completed I-49, at least to US-71 south of Rye Hill.  That will increase the amount of traffic crossing the river going to I-40 or up I-49 north of Alma.

Gordon

I wonder if ArDOT are making progress on the engineering development which started this year to have it shovel ready in case our congress decides to pass another highway bill. That is key to be ready if any fed money becomes available.   

Tomahawkin

Any word on a future highway deal. IMO its imperative for Arkansas to get one passed given both 49 and 57 need to get going and 30 SW of Little Rock needs a total overhaul, and I didn't even mention 69 because its probably 20 years away...

US71

It's a drop in the bucket, but ARDOT could remove a few highways from the system.  They have way too many that don't go anywhere.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

Quote from: Tomahawkin on December 16, 2020, 03:34:02 PM
Any word on a future highway deal. IMO its imperative for Arkansas to get one passed given both 49 and 57 need to get going and 30 SW of Little Rock needs a total overhaul, and I didn't even mention 69 because its probably 20 years away...

As far as a fully-constructed Interstate-standard section of I-69 goes (at least the main trunk, not the AR 530 "adjunct"), I'd say closer to 25-30 years minimum.  Not only does ADOT have too much on its plate to juggle that project among the more pressing ones, but there appears to be little pressure to advance beyond the 2-lane initial alignment between Monticello and McGehee, which would, for all intents and purposes, be an expandable project to address local needs.  The reality is that Shreveport-Memphis is the proverbial "red-headed stepchild" of the I-69 corridor; it'll be dealt with well after more vital stuff is behind the various states' agencies -- if funding happens to be available when that occurs.

CoreySamson

Quote from: sparker on December 16, 2020, 05:27:29 PM
Not only does ADOT have too much on its plate to juggle that project among the more pressing ones, but there appears to be little pressure to advance beyond the 2-lane initial alignment between Monticello and McGehee, which would, for all intents and purposes, be an expandable project to address local needs.  The reality is that Shreveport-Memphis is the proverbial "red-headed stepchild" of the I-69 corridor; it'll be dealt with well after more vital stuff is behind the various states' agencies -- if funding happens to be available when that occurs.

Yeah I'd say the Arkansas part of 69 is the least important section; traffic wanting to follow the 69 corridor could just use 30, 40, and 49 to get from Memphis to Shreveport. In fact, I feel that that route should be designated Temporary I-69.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

I-39

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 16, 2020, 07:41:56 PM
Quote from: sparker on December 16, 2020, 05:27:29 PM
Not only does ADOT have too much on its plate to juggle that project among the more pressing ones, but there appears to be little pressure to advance beyond the 2-lane initial alignment between Monticello and McGehee, which would, for all intents and purposes, be an expandable project to address local needs.  The reality is that Shreveport-Memphis is the proverbial "red-headed stepchild" of the I-69 corridor; it'll be dealt with well after more vital stuff is behind the various states' agencies -- if funding happens to be available when that occurs.

Yeah I'd say the Arkansas part of 69 is the least important section; traffic wanting to follow the 69 corridor could just use 30, 40, and 49 to get from Memphis to Shreveport. In fact, I feel that that route should be designated Temporary I-69.

You could make a case for the entire corridor being unnecessary. The I-70/57/30/35 routing could cover what I-69 is doing from Indianapolis to Mexico.

Arkansas needs to completely finish I-49/57 before even touching I-69 again.

Bobby5280

The Great River Bridge cost boondoggle and Mississippi's budget woes are the two things that make I-69 in Arkansas not worth addressing other than adding pieces of Super-2 route in some key areas just to preserve ROW. I-49 and I-57 are more worthwhile projects. Let's not forget about the need to expand I-40 East of Little Rock.

I'm curious to see what the incoming federal administration will manage to do regarding roads. There is talk about a big infrastructure project. But the whole thing is going to suck if the project amounts to installing thousands of hybrid car charging stations and funneling a bunch of money into high speed rail projects that will never materialize. The feds need to get back to basics on the roads and bridges stuff.

I-39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 16, 2020, 09:38:54 PMI'm curious to see what the incoming federal administration will manage to do regarding roads. There is talk about a big infrastructure project.

We hear this every time a new President comes in, and nothing ever comes of it.

kphoger

Quote from: I-39 on December 16, 2020, 10:03:24 PM

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 16, 2020, 09:38:54 PM
I'm curious to see what the incoming federal administration will manage to do regarding roads. There is talk about a big infrastructure project.

You noticed that too, huh?  It doesn't seem to matter what political party the President is from, either.  Same story.  They enter office with big infrastructure plans, and then that's the last you ever hear of it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on December 16, 2020, 11:11:14 PM
Quote from: I-39 on December 16, 2020, 10:03:24 PM

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 16, 2020, 09:38:54 PM
I'm curious to see what the incoming federal administration will manage to do regarding roads. There is talk about a big infrastructure project.

You noticed that too, huh?  It doesn't seem to matter what political party the President is from, either.  Same story.  They enter office with big infrastructure plans, and then that's the last you ever hear of it.
It is infuriating. For some odd reason I do feel like Biden will follow through with it but then again I was sure Trump was going to go big on infrastructure and nothing. Pretty soon we're going to have major problems.

ibthebigd

My idea is do a 10 cent gas tax hike and give every state 1 Billion per electoral vote.

SM-G950U

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.