Ads popping up saying viruses on computer

Started by djracer201, April 15, 2011, 08:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djracer201

I believe there are malicious sites sponsoring the website again - I was looking at the new Maryland pages and I had a new tab pop up saying there are viruses on my computer and running a fake scan page. Can something be done about it?

FLRoads

Thanks for letting us know of the issue with the ad(s). The matter will be looked into and fixed as soon as possible. Sorry for any issues this may have caused you.

Did you happen to have your pop-up windows option turned off in your browser by chance? I tried to recreate this situation so I decided to turn mine off and test a couple of the pages. After 10 minutes of refreshing I still did not receive an ad that opened up in another tab, nor did I see any such ad specifying about viruses that ran a fake scan (granted I probably didn't go through the entire queue of ads...). But nonetheless, we will deal with this accordingly and resolve the issue.

-Brent

english si

I think djracer has some sort of malware on his computer - I had one a few years back that changed all internet adverts into "you've got a virus, we can kill it" type messages and stuff like that.

Run a virus check now, using your normal virus checker (and certainly not anything you find in ads - it'll rob you and make the problem 10 times worse). Then also download AdAware, and run that. Then run your virus check again, and see if you can set it to scan at startup and do that.

And while you are doing that, to get some revenge, ring this call centre in India that keeps ringing me unsolicited and tell them that there's been reports of a computer infection in their area (of course, you'd have to find the call centre's number and location) and that the only way of dealing with it is to burn down the building. They keep ringing me and telling me that there's a computer infection going round my town, and that they can protect from it. Apparently, from various responses to test how stupid they are, this infection doesn't use the internet or phone lines to spread and it's not a virus, so perhaps these guys are just wannabes, too stupid to actually be malicious.

froggie

vdeane

This is why my university blocks ads.

Also, if you're already infected, your virus scanner won't do any good.  The first thing a good virus will do is subvert all your security software to avoid detection.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex

I also have been checking pages all day yesterday and this morning and did not come up with the same ad (though I know of the type that you wrote about). I removed an unproven advertiser just in case. If this happens again, please let me know from which page you think it originated. Thanks!

Anthony_JK

What that is, guys, is the usual fake antivirus malware that strikes plenty of PC's. Unfortunately, it usually also blocks the ability to use authentic antivirus tools to remove it.

Depending on what the name of the fake "antivirus" malware is, it can be removed, but it does require some moderate effort.

If you already have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed, that should do the trick, if not, I strongly recommend installing it from here:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

If the "antivirus" prevents MB from opening, then you may have to resort to more stringent measures. Here's a decent site with detailed solutions based on the particular "antivirus" malware infection:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

Of course, installing an effective anti-malware blocker (I use IObit Security 360 and IObit Advanced SystemCare) is the best solution to not allowing those suckas in to begin with.

Anthony

J N Winkler

I don't see ads on this forum.  I highly recommend the use of an ad-blocking HOSTS file, which renders ad servers unreachable.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cu2010

Quote from: deanej on April 16, 2011, 09:24:40 AM
This is why my university blocks ads.

And why I use an adblocker. And not IE.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Alex

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 16, 2011, 10:57:06 AM
I don't see ads on this forum.  I highly recommend the use of an ad-blocking HOSTS file, which renders ad servers unreachable.

That is because there are no ads on the forum.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.