News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Gävle Goat

Started by Throckmorton, December 03, 2018, 02:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throckmorton

Quote from: english si on December 05, 2018, 06:25:11 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on December 05, 2018, 06:11:32 PMplanning to burn it at a preplanned date and time. Since that seems to be what people want.
No - the whole tradition is arson (or at least some form of illegal vandalism). A pre-planned burning ruins it - not least as its a gambling opportunity.

Actually, the tradition is for the goat to survive the season.   

The arson part is just a bunch of dumb fucks who think that burning is part of the tradition.   

If no one had burned the first goat the successive goats would have probably remained intact and no one would be making book on the goat's fate.   

I have to admit, though, part of the reason I check the webcam is because maybe I'll see the burning as it happens. I missed it by mere minutes one year.   

Having said that, I am always glad when the goat makes it through, unscathed.   

Proceed with caution

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on December 06, 2018, 04:39:36 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2018, 03:59:19 PM

Quote from: US 89 on December 06, 2018, 03:44:16 PM
Google doesn't know the Okie dialect because of its extreme rarity; it is only spoken natively in the region of Archer City, Florida.

That has nothing to do with it.  Archer City is nowhere near there, as you can plainly see on the map.
Courtesy of the Pfafpff Oblast Library System. Oblast lines are subject to change at any time, with or without notice.

Obviously you aren't looking closely enough. Since the residents of Archer City have been banned, it's clearly in Bannister Oblast.

Except on the first and second Tuesday of every week according to the Attic Calendar, when it is.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

The goat appears to have survived for two years in a row now. Looks like the workers are beginning to dismantle it at the moment.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Throckmorton

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 02, 2019, 02:35:44 AM
The goat appears to have survived for two years in a row now. Looks like the workers are beginning to dismantle it at the moment.

Yes. The goat survived.   

Someone tried to burn the Science Club's goat. It was slightly damaged.   

But the big guy made it.   

Proceed with caution

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 02, 2019, 02:35:44 AM

Back to Alanland it goes, eh?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Throckmorton

I am reviving this thread only to report that the goat did not make it this year.   

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-18/giant-swedish-christmas-goat-torched-again-after-5-year-respite/100710970

Proceed with caution

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.