News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Street view update

Started by J Route Z, July 25, 2021, 01:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 27, 2021, 10:26:46 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 07:39:33 PM
I don't think Syria, or Iran would be countries that would get street view. Even India Because

1. Syria has a war going on and we have no embassy with them.
2. We have no embassy for Iran.
3. India said "no" to capturing street view there.

How would lack of a US embassy in a country prevent someone from driving a GSV car there?  Or just, you know, driving around in Iran with a selfie stick out the window and uploading the imagery to Google?
I find it funny cause it looks like Scott said that. And probably yes because most likely the country hates us.

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 27, 2021, 03:15:52 PM

How would lack of a US embassy in a country prevent someone from driving a GSV car there?  Or just, you know, driving around in Iran with a selfie stick out the window and uploading the imagery to Google?

I find it funny cause it looks like Scott said that.

Ha!  Wow, how did I do that??  Fixed my original post.  Thank you.

And probably yes because most likely the country hates us.

Yes what?  I asked "How would..."

How would "the country" (whatever that means) hating "us" (whatever that means) keep its citizens from driving Google cars around?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 27, 2021, 03:35:59 PM

How would "the country" (whatever that means) hating "us" (whatever that means) keep its citizens from driving Google cars around?
Because Iran burned down the US flags before.

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 27, 2021, 03:39:13 PM

And what does that have to do with Iranians driving cars around Iran with cameras on top?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on July 27, 2021, 03:42:58 PM
And what does that have to do with Iranians driving cars around Iran with cameras on top?

Google is a US company.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

tolbs17

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 27, 2021, 03:39:13 PM

They don't want any American citizen in their country!!

kphoger

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 27, 2021, 03:43:49 PM

Didn't read my question?
Male pronouns, please.

tolbs17

Quote from: kphoger on July 27, 2021, 03:46:26 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on July 27, 2021, 03:43:49 PM

Didn't read my question?
Nothing.  And what I wonder if Iran has any Google Street View cameras.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on July 27, 2021, 03:43:32 PM

Google is a US company.

Are you referring to the economic sanctions against Iran, which would prohibit Google from doing business there?  That's different from not having an embassy there.
Male pronouns, please.

Sctvhound

I go back to when Microsoft had StreetView (or it might have even been Amazon), circa 2005-2006. Even now Bing's StreetView doesn't even cover cities like Charleston.

Amazon's StreetView they had only covered like 15 cities.

tolbs17

Quote from: Sctvhound on July 27, 2021, 10:17:13 PM
I go back to when Microsoft had StreetView (or it might have even been Amazon), circa 2005-2006. Even now Bing's StreetView doesn't even cover cities like Charleston.

Amazon's StreetView they had only covered like 15 cities.
If there's street view from 2005, I WANNA see it!

Roadgeekteen

GSV is the main reason why I will never use another mapping software.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 27, 2021, 11:29:33 PM
And why is that?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 28, 2021, 12:26:53 AM
And why is that?
Because I love GSV.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Google is a US company.

Google's total assets are half of Iran's nominal GDP. For all the money (and thus power) Google has, it may as well be its own country at this point.

Same goes for Facebook. Heard on the radio yesterday that Facebook's annual revenue is more than the entire budget of the city of East Palo Alto right outside their HQ.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Google maps is my go-to for most things when I need a map, because of GSV. Though I use Apple maps too because their transit map is way better. Apple have pretty much all US/Canada urban rail transit systems and some BRT lines (like Houston's uptown BRT) mapped out, as well as Amtrak and VIA rail, while Google maps is still missing some notable LRT systems like Minneapolis and Calgary, let alone the BRT and long-distance rail. And for transport in China, I use Baidu maps.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2021, 01:45:49 AM
And why is that?
Because I love GSV.

If Bing update and do a bigger survey and coverage with Bing Streetside and add Apple if they decide to let Apple Maps widely available for Windows so we can use their "Look Around" (you can only access to Apple Maps without Look Around by using DuckDuckGo maps or Satellites.pro), that would motivate Google to do some GSV updates.

tolbs17

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 28, 2021, 09:37:13 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2021, 01:45:49 AM
And why is that?
Because I love GSV.

If Bing update and do a bigger survey and coverage with Bing Streetside and add Apple if they decide to let Apple Maps widely available for Windows so we can use their "Look Around" (you can only access to Apple Maps without Look Around by using DuckDuckGo maps or Satellites.pro), that would motivate Google to do some GSV updates.
Would be awesome.

J N Winkler

China won't let Google in (at least on terms that Google will accept), but has its own StreetView equivalent through Baidu Maps.

As Kphoger points out, for Iran, Google has a very small amount of user-sourced coverage (rural example).

Given that large central Asian countries like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, and Afghanistan have (apparently) zero StreetView coverage, I'm surprised Russia is covered as extensively as it is.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SkyPesos

^ How about Germany? Coverage is very sparse and I haven't seen any newer than like 2009. Was there some beef between Google and Germany at some point?

tolbs17

J N Winkler

Quote from: SkyPesos on July 28, 2021, 06:43:30 PM^ How about Germany? Coverage is very sparse and I haven't seen any newer than like 2009. Was there some beef between Google and Germany at some point?

Google called a kibosh on acquiring new imagery in 2011 when the Germans raised privacy concerns.  Imagery acquired to that date (mainly in large cities or urban regions like Berlin, Nuremberg, Hamburg, Munich, and the Ruhr district) is still available, and user-sourced material has been added for some rural corridors.  As of 2020 Google was apparently planning to resume collecting StreetView imagery in Germany, but I suspect covid has gotten in the way.

An easy way (at least on desktop) to find the imagery that is available is to zoom out and click (not hold down) Pegman.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CNGL-Leudimin

I was worried if there was some dispute between Google and Spain as other countries started to get post-"End of the World (as we knew it)" imagery (which allowed me to debunk they had stopped getting it due to the coronavirus and the mask thing) while mine was still behind in 2019. But the finding of some isolated April 2021 imagery near Zaragoza definitely put that to an end.

As for other mapping services, I also make extensive use of OpenStreetMap, mainly to find county/provincial lines, and as support to my Street View trips :sombrero:. I also use Baidu Maps mainly to check if a new metro line in Mainland China has opened.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 28, 2021, 07:40:09 AM

Google is a US company.

Google's total assets are half of Iran's nominal GDP. For all the money (and thus power) Google has, it may as well be its own country at this point.

Same goes for Facebook. Heard on the radio yesterday that Facebook's annual revenue is more than the entire budget of the city of East Palo Alto right outside their HQ.
Heh.  People have been making comparisons between companies and countries for decades.  Walmart used to be valued higher than the GDP of Greece when I was in college back at the turn of the century.

Also, see the movie Network from over 40 years ago.  This is hardly a new phenomenon of companies acting like countries.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 28, 2021, 06:35:16 PM
China won't let Google in (at least on terms that Google will accept), but has its own StreetView equivalent through Baidu Maps.

As Kphoger points out, for Iran, Google has a very small amount of user-sourced coverage (rural example).

Given that large central Asian countries like Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, and Afghanistan have (apparently) zero StreetView coverage, I'm surprised Russia is covered as extensively as it is.

Regarding Iran, I suspect that security concerns might play a bigger factor than international relations.  It's easy for me to imagine the Iranian government disallowing anyone–citizen or foreigner–to drive around the country with a big camera on top.  While public photography is legal in Iran, I've read an account of people's drones having been confiscated.  Also, photography near government/military installations is not permitted.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.