News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2022 meet ideas

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 06, 2021, 06:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

I was originally thinking I'd hold off until September to start a thread about 2022 meets, but because the list is already growing, I figured it wouldn't hurt to start this now.  (For the past few years, I've been the one to initiate this thread each year, which I'm happy to do, but I also didn't know if anyone else wanted to start the list instead of me.)

Anyway, we know that the COVID pandemic is unfortunately far from over... especially now that the Delta variant is taking hold and wreaking havoc.  Vaccinations seem to be holding steady, but I read somewhere that the Delta variant is perhaps prompting some folks to get vaccinated that might not have done so otherwise.  Regardless, the COVID virus is still unfortunately active and spreading.  Despite that, I thought I would share some optimism and get us thinking about what road meets are being considered for 2022.

Here's what I know of so far:

• Natchez MS - March 19
  • Waterbury/Meriden CT - April 2
  • West Irondequoit NY - April 2?
  • Outer Banks NC "city meet" (choose your own sightseeing) - April 30
  • Plattsburgh/Clinton County NY - spring?
  • Iowa City/Cedar Rapids IA - May 21
  • Lynchburg VA - June 11
  • SE Chicago/NW Indiana - June 25
  • Durham (NC) East End Connector - July 30
  • Schenectady/Amsterdam NY - August 6
  • Philadelphia PA - August 20-21
  • Twin Cities (MN) - August 27 or September 3
  • Beloit/Janesville WI - September 3
  • Central Pennsylvania (York/Lancaster/Harrisburg) - April 23 September 24
  • San Antonio TX - October 1
  • Cumberland MD - October 8?
  • Oklahoma City OK - October 22
  • Shawangunk NY?
  • Nice Bridge/U.S. 301 (Dahlgren VA) mini-meet

I think I've captured all the tentative plans I've heard about so far.  Most of these are tentatively being planned for the spring, but hopefully other ideas that tentative hosts have can be spread out to other times of the year so we don't have a whole bunch of meets in the spring and nothing until perhaps the Twin Cities meet at the end of summer.

If I've forgotten anything, please chime in!  Hopefully the pandemic will be behind us by the beginning of 2022, but who knows.  Since the beginning of the pandemic, several meet hosts have been successful in convening the groups for the lunch portion of the meet at a park where attendees have brought their own lunches.  Other hosts are still planning/preferring to revert back to the pre-pandemic arrangement where folks gather at a restaurant.  Regardless of how the hosts choose to organize their meets, let's hope the pandemic is behind us sooner rather than later.
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

I'm looking at holing a SE Chicago/NW Indiana meet in June-ish, covering the Illinois-Indiana state line and thing like South Lake Shore Drive and the new Cline Avenue Bridge.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cjk374

March 19 is the official date for the Natchez meet.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Dan Garnell & Sean Lyons get another chance at hosting a Toledo roadmeet (Covid has thwarted their plans last year & this year). Date at their discretion.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Nikolai

I'll be hosting a Janesville/Beloit meet in October 2022.

A.J. Bertin

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far!  The 2022 list is looking pretty nice at this point.  :)
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

It's looking like April 23 is the "done deal" date for my meet
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: jpi on August 12, 2021, 10:14:21 AM
It's looking like April 23 is the "done deal" date for my meet

Sounds good... I'm updating the 2022 list to specify this date.  This means that I will choose April 30 as the date for my Outer Banks meet.
-A.J. from Michigan

Laura

Due to Delta and personal reasons I'm postponing the Cumberland/Western MD meet to 2022. Looking at summer again.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Laura on September 08, 2021, 09:00:34 AM
Due to Delta and personal reasons I'm postponing the Cumberland/Western MD meet to 2022. Looking at summer again.

Thanks for the update, Laura.  I crossed off this meet from the 2021 list and added it to the 2022 list.  I'm personally still interested. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

I'm looking at a meet for Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, IA for 2022.  I'm either targeting Either May or November but not quite solid yet. 

There are some challenges for any proposed date ranges in Fall goes up against potential Univ of Iowa events (football in the fall) effectively jeopardizes the scheduling of the meet in the fall entirely, I do see that October has a meet and to have 2 meets (even close-ish to each other distance-wise) will hurt attendance at both meets due to competition.  There is a potential that it will happen in May (only one U of I event blocks May 14 - commencement compared to the November option which gives me 11/5 and 11/12 only).

More to follow.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 12, 2021, 06:07:14 PM
I'm looking at a meet for Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, IA for 2022.  I'm either targeting Either May or November but not quite solid yet. 

Awesome!  I'm very interested.  I've added this to the list of tentative meets for 2022.
-A.J. from Michigan

TheHighwayMan3561

There are some challenges for any proposed date ranges in Fall goes up against potential Univ of Iowa events (football in the fall) effectively jeopardizes the scheduling of the meet in the fall entirely, I do see that October has a meet and to have 2 meets (even close-ish to each other distance-wise) will hurt attendance at both meets due to competition.  There is a potential that it will happen in May (only one U of I event blocks May 14 - commencement compared to the November option which gives me 11/5 and 11/12 only).

More to follow.

You may or may not be aware, but Iowa's football dates and opponents for next year are already set. https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2022/team/iowa

On the road the first two weekends of November, at home the latter two. The Nebraska game is Black Friday if you were interested to keep that Saturday to be an option as well.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Also, Gene's San Antonio meet is moving to October 1, 2022 from this year's date.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Brandon on September 13, 2021, 10:24:47 PM
Also, Gene's San Antonio meet is moving to October 1, 2022 from this year's date.

I noticed that on Facebook.  I have crossed off San Antonio from the list of 2021 meets and added it to the list of 2022 meets which continues to grow!
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 13, 2021, 04:34:34 PM

More to follow.

You may or may not be aware, but Iowa's football dates and opponents for next year are already set. https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2022/team/iowa

On the road the first two weekends of November, at home the latter two. The Nebraska game is Black Friday if you were interested to keep that Saturday to be an option as well.
‫‬‪‫‬now see, I'd love to go see a game at Iowa on a meet weekend.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on September 13, 2021, 11:50:01 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 13, 2021, 04:34:34 PM

More to follow.

‫‬‪‫‬now see, I'd love to go see a game at Iowa on a meet weekend.
Good luck finding standing room.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

SSOWorld

More to follow.
The meet will be taking place in May (just not on May 14). 
Scott O.

Raise your what?

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 18, 2021, 09:15:15 AM

More to follow.
The meet will be taking place in May (just not on May 14). 

I've updated the list accordingly.
-A.J. from Michigan

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Brandon on August 06, 2021, 07:45:17 PM
I'm looking at holing a SE Chicago/NW Indiana meet in June-ish, covering the Illinois-Indiana state line and thing like South Lake Shore Drive and the new Cline Avenue Bridge.

I'd be interested. Don't know if the US 12/20 East split project would also be of interest
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

74/171FAN

Personally, I would like to do the East End Connector Meet in March (March 12 or March 26), but we will have to see if the road actually opens.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

JMoses24

I am considering an Oklahoma City meet for probably summer, but it will depend on my medical condition and time constraints.

Scott5114

Quote from: JMoses24 on October 08, 2021, 11:08:25 AM
I am considering an Oklahoma City meet for probably summer, but it will depend on my medical condition and time constraints.

That would be awesome–the last OKC meet was in 2010, and some of the people who attended that one who would be surprised to see how much it's changed since then. (We were still on the old Crosstown then, I-35 in Norman was in the process of getting expanded to 6 lanes, and there was of course no John Kilpatrick extension, Kickapoo Turnpike, or Scissortail Park.)

Let me know if you need some help planning things or potentially serving as backup host if needed.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 19, 2021, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 06, 2021, 07:45:17 PM

I'd be interested. Don't know if the US 12/20 East split project would also be of interest

We might be able to fit it in.  :cool:

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: JMoses24 on October 08, 2021, 11:08:25 AM

I've added it to the list of potential meets for 2022.
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.