News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

State highways that are locally maintained their entire length?

Started by LilianaUwU, October 19, 2021, 12:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Matté

When I went through Maine on Wikipedia a couple of years ago, the only one that was specifically "townway" for its whole length was ME 203. Other parts of Maine's system are basically under state jurisdiction for the summertime and maintained by the town during the winter.

ETD: Can't read

LilianaUwU

Quote from: oscar on October 19, 2021, 11:17:43 PMIn Quebec, MTQ doesn't take that approach at all. It will turn over route segments, or even entire routes (such as route 372 in Saguenay), to local maintenance (perhaps along with $ for local maintenance costs), but treat them as still part of Quebec's highway route system.

That's the way I prefer it to be. Rarely do routes ever get properly decommissioned in Québec, and as a result navigation is easier, except in the case where two alignments conflict (such as the aforementioned 372).
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

NE2

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 20, 2021, 10:13:11 AM
Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure VA 150 is the only freeway in Virginia that is locally maintained - the segment in the City of Richmond is maintained by the city (although it is only a freeway for a rather short and discontinuous distance).
US 17 and SR 168 in Chesapeake.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

1995hoo

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 20, 2021, 10:13:11 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 20, 2021, 08:40:54 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on October 19, 2021, 06:39:48 AM
Virginia has a fair number - any route completely within an independent city or incorporated town who does their own maintenance...

I'm sure I have left out a few...

Who maintains VA-120? Arlington is one of two counties that does its own maintenance, but I recall there are some exceptions to that.

Henrico County has the same arrangement as Arlington - although all local roads are maintained by the county, primary routes are under VDOT's jurisdiction. VDOT also maintains all bridges over primary, US, and interstate routes and all interchanges. There will often be interruptions in county maintenance posted with "begin/end state maintenance" signs when this happens.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure VA 150 is the only freeway in Virginia that is locally maintained - the segment in the City of Richmond is maintained by the city (although it is only a freeway for a rather short and discontinuous distance). I don't count VA 76 and VA 195 as they're maintained by the RMTA, which is a state-funded agency.

Thanks for the clarification. I always struggle to remember what VDOT maintains in Arlington whenever I encounter a road problem that I'd report via their website if I encountered it in Fairfax County. I haven't driven all that much in Arlington recently, though (most recent trip there was to the Pentagon on Sept. 11). Not having to commute makes a huge difference in how much I drive.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.