News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Walmart begins credit only at self checkout stands

Started by roadman65, September 28, 2021, 11:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

The Walmart by me now claims the coin shortage is causing them to not want to transact cash transactions at the self checkout stations. Yet they will do it at the cashier lines.  Makes me wonder what really is their motive to take such a measure.

Anyway are Walmart's in your area doing the same?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

If it's truly due to the coin shortage, they should accept exact change.

(note: if you're going to merge, merge the relevant posts in the other thread into this thread, not this thread into the other thread)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SkyPesos

Sort of frustrating that they're still not accepting Google/Apple pay.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on September 28, 2021, 11:53:12 AM

Yeah, the easiest way to overcome the coin shortage is to... accept coins from customers!

Personally I try to always reduce the number of coins than I'm going to get back, such as adding a penny when my total ends with .01 so I can get a dime back instead of a nickel and four pennies. Not everyone does this, however, so I can see how coins can bleed quickly at a place with a high volume of transactions.

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on September 28, 2021, 11:53:12 AM

(note: if you're going to merge, merge the relevant posts in the other thread into this thread, not this thread into the other thread)
And then you start a transaction and suddenly realize you're 5 cents short?...
It just easier to push those who has options into a different path. Totally eliminating cash may create legal issues, and certainly can cost WM some customers (remember - 6% population is without a bank account)

On a grand scheme of things, this may be intentional or unintentional coercing into reforms. Currently, nickel cost more as metal scrap than coin (such scrapping is actuallyt illegal, but yet), and pennies are crossing that line back and forth.  That is before costs of manufacturing and distribution are considered.
Looking a bit north, Canada no longer uses pennies, and I believe their 5-cents are cheaper alloy. same for $1 bills as those are too low value and change hands too often - so not lasting long. Loonies and toonies work just fine!  Maybe pennies and Saturday USPS delivery are not going to last...

GaryV

I believe the theory may be that people seldom put coins in at a self checkout.  They put in larger bills and get change back.

I don't know how the machines work.  If they are like vending machines, any coins coming in go into a hopper to be counted and deposited at a bank.  Any coins being used for change would need to be pre-loaded into the machines.

In a checkout lane with a clerk, coins coming in can be used as change in the next transactions, so the initial supply doesn't need to be as much.

ethanhopkin14

Yes, my closest Walmart converted to all self-checkout back in the summer.  Frankly it makes me mad. 

abefroman329

Quote from: GaryV on September 28, 2021, 01:06:45 PMI don't know how the machines work.  If they are like vending machines, any coins coming in go into a hopper to be counted and deposited at a bank.  Any coins being used for change would need to be pre-loaded into the machines.

I can think of a few reasons why they wouldn't want the coins coming in to be immediately put back into circulation.

hbelkins

My recent experience with Walmart has been that most of the self-checkout lanes take both cash and plastic, and a minority are plastic-only. I think I estimated my personal experience at 65-35 in favor of both methods.

Quote from: webny99 on September 28, 2021, 12:16:31 PM

Personally I try to always reduce the number of coins than I'm going to get back, such as adding a penny when my total ends with .01 so I can get a dime back instead of a nickel and four pennies. Not everyone does this, however, so I can see how coins can bleed quickly at a place with a high volume of transactions.

I have seen this confuse the absolute bejeebers out of perplexed clerks, mostly at fast-food restaurants. Your order comes to $9.05 and you give them $10.05 so you'll get back one $1 bill instead of 95 cents in change. Or your total comes to $11 and you give them $21 so you'll get back a $10 bill.

So many people working retail and customer service have come to rely on the cash register to calculate the change to the point where they are unable to compute it in their heads. We've probably all either had this experience, or have heard about it -- or had to explain it to the clerk. "It cost $5.51 so I gave you $6.01, which means I should get two quarters back."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

It's been all-card at Walmart and a few other self-checkout-heavy stores here since April 2020. They should really be forced to accept contactless cards at these machines too, since the chip readers don't always work (especially when poorly maintained).

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2021, 03:03:57 PM
My recent experience with Walmart has been that most of the self-checkout lanes take both cash and plastic, and a minority are plastic-only. I think I estimated my personal experience at 65-35 in favor of both methods.

That's been my experience too. The plastic-only self-checkouts mainly (but not always) seem to be ones where the cash-handling parts of a particular checkout machine aren't working, or the newer and more compact machines which let Walmart squeeze more checkouts into the self-check area.

The self-check areas often don't have separate lanes for each machine. That means one cashier can watch over a dozen or more machines, to try to fix any problems that come up.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hotdogPi

Quote from: oscar on September 28, 2021, 05:36:32 PM
The self-check areas often don't have separate lanes for each machine. That means one cashier can watch over a dozen or more machines, to try to fix any problems that come up.

My Stop & Shop location had 5 self-checkout locations. People needed help often enough that one employee could not fix 12 people's problems if there were 12.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kalvado

Quote from: Bruce on September 28, 2021, 05:24:49 PM
It's been all-card at Walmart and a few other self-checkout-heavy stores here since April 2020. They should really be forced to accept contactless cards at these machines too, since the chip readers don't always work (especially when poorly maintained).
I believe WM reluctance to accept contactless cards - and so not allowing phone payment apps, google/apple/samsung - is due to their desire to promote their own payment app. A few players tried that - Chase rolled out and quickly gave up on their thing, I believe Target tried their app, etc. I believe that few established players now have the market, and there is now room for niche players. WM may have a different opinion, though.
WM also didn't like chip-and-sign card verification technology common in US, especially given that signature is often waived - up to $100 by now, I believe? WM wanted more secure chip-and-pin, which is used in many other places, including Canada. But WM they couldn't bulge US market.

jeffandnicole

At the Philadelphia Eagles game on Sunday, they have gone cashless there too. The roaming beer vendors had a cellphone-type device for credit card payments. It was *much* slower than taking cash. That, combined with probably a reluctance of people to want to work anyway, resulted in only seeing the beer vendor once in our section for the entire game.

I also noticed the roaming beer vendor sold beers for $1 more than a concession stand; first time I've seen that. I'm not sure if it was a built-in tip for the roaming vendor or what the reason was. (It was an official price badge, not something the guy was making up).

oscar

Quote from: 1 on September 28, 2021, 05:37:54 PM

My Stop & Shop location had 5 self-checkout locations. People needed help often enough that one employee could not fix 12 people's problems if there were 12.

Well, I said "try to" fix. Often, the only available fix is a "Lane Closed" message on the screen, or a cardboard "Lane Closed" sign on the scanner, or to disable the cash option or designate a machine "Card Only" if the only problem was with the coin/bill mechanisms.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kalvado

Quote from: oscar on September 28, 2021, 06:06:20 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 28, 2021, 05:37:54 PM

Well, I said "try to" fix. Often, the only available fix is a "Lane Closed" message on the screen, or a cardboard "Lane Closed" sign on the scanner, or to disable the cash option or designate a machine "Card Only" if the only problem was with the coin/bill mechanisms.

There are quite a few problems with the scanning process which require "administrative privileges" to resolve even when equipment is working fine. Item is not scanning or erroneously scanned twice are the most common, but there are quite a other issues which require employee intervention.

SSOWorld

Wal-mart has a narrow mind when it comes to coins running out - the computers start change distribution with quarters, if a register runs out of quarters, they switch to plastic only because the software's not set up to divvy up between dimes and nickels.

They will not ever accept anything contactless except their proprietary method.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 28, 2021, 06:31:08 PM

They used to pimp "Walmart Pay" which involved their phone app. Is it still a thing? I'm not using Apple Pay or any of those services.

What's the threshold for requiring a PIN anyway? I've had a number of purchases recently where the total was approved without my needing to enter my PIN. And I can never predict based on total price whether or not I'll need to punch in the number. A $40 purchase can be approved without a PIN, but a $20 purchase needs one. Sometimes I wonder if the system is able to match a card to frequent purchases and if it realizes that you've bought Sam's American Choice peach flavored water, cat food, and dog treats from that location before, the card use is most likely legit.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2021, 06:43:58 PM

They used to pimp "Walmart Pay" which involved their phone app. Is it still a thing? I'm not using Apple Pay or any of those services.

What's the threshold for requiring a PIN anyway? I've had a number of purchases recently where the total was approved without my needing to enter my PIN. And I can never predict based on total price whether or not I'll need to punch in the number. A $40 purchase can be approved without a PIN, but a $20 purchase needs one. Sometimes I wonder if the system is able to match a card to frequent purchases and if it realizes that you've bought Sam's American Choice peach flavored water, cat food, and dog treats from that location before, the card use is most likely legit.

It's generally up to the retailer, per agreement with their credit card vendor. Generally speaking, the higher the amount accepted without a PIN, the higher the risk, the higher the rate charged to the retailer.

SSOWorld

What's wrong with Apple Pay - what's different about it and Google Pay than what a retailer's pay app does?

Oh, it's big tech?  someone's worst enemy who snoops?  so does walmart! 😈
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

thenetwork

Quote from: roadman65 on September 28, 2021, 11:51:18 AM
The Walmart by me now claims the coin shortage is causing them to not want to transact cash transactions at the self checkout stations. Yet they will do it at the cashier lines.  Makes me wonder what really is their motive to take such a measure.

Anyway are Walmart's in your area doing the same?

Meanwhile, on the flip side, I have been to some Kroger affiliates (City Market/Smith's) where it's the complete opposite when it comes to the so-called "coin shortage":

Manual/Staffed/Full Serve Checkouts:  Coin change is given back as a "next visit automatic coupon" attached to your Kroger (City Market/Smiths) value card.  Not sure how they handle those without Kroger Cards.

Self Serve Checkouts: Accepts cash and still dispenses all coin change as normal.

Go Figure...

kalvado

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 28, 2021, 07:53:46 PM

What's wrong with Apple Pay - what's different about it and Google Pay than what a retailer's pay app does?

Oh, it's big tech?  someone's worst enemy who snoops?  so does walmart! 😈
Everyone wants a slice of banking pie. Google actually going towards becoming a super bank - service provider for retail banks or something like that.
Looks like retail is not a gold mine any more.

vdeane

Quote from: kalvado on September 28, 2021, 05:40:09 PM
WM also didn't like chip-and-sign card verification technology common in US, especially given that signature is often waived - up to $100 by now, I believe? WM wanted more secure chip-and-pin, which is used in many other places, including Canada. But WM they couldn't bulge US market.
Nothing is stopping them from doing chip and PIN if they really want to.  My bank (First Niagara, prior to the merger with Key Bank) did.  My card had a PIN and everywhere except Target with chip readers asked for it.  Even after the merger, despite Key Bank being chip and sign, the initial card I got with the merger was no different.  My current card now defaults to chip and sign, but it still has a PIN, which I've used at the USPS kiosk to buy stamps and for pay at the pump at Sheetz.  I presume any Canadian terminals would ask for it too, but I haven't had the chance to see.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on September 28, 2021, 09:44:38 PM
Quote from: kalvado on September 28, 2021, 05:40:09 PM
Nothing is stopping them from doing chip and PIN if they really want to.  My bank (First Niagara, prior to the merger with Key Bank) did.  My card had a PIN and everywhere except Target with chip readers asked for it.  Even after the merger, despite Key Bank being chip and sign, the initial card I got with the merger was no different.  My current card now defaults to chip and sign, but it still has a PIN, which I've used at the USPS kiosk to buy stamps and for pay at the pump at Sheetz.  I presume any Canadian terminals would ask for it too, but I haven't had the chance to see.
Was it a debit card or a credit card?
Debit cards work with pins as ATMs don't have signature option anyway. I am not sure if the pin for my credit card is even setup.

webny99

I've never heard of a PIN for a credit card, only for a debit card. My debit card seems to be about 80/20 in favor of the chip reader asking for the PIN. It almost always does at the gas pump.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.