News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Are there too many grocery stores?

Started by I-39, September 29, 2021, 07:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

To address the question, the obvious answer is that it depends on the area. Back home, if I'm only counting my town, we have one Whole Foods, one Mariano's, one Trader Joe's, and one store from a hyperlocal chain that only has five total locations. However, that's just going with a strict definition of what my town is. Nearby, we have three Jewel Osco's and another two Mariano's. The nearest two Walmarts are at least a 15 minute drive from my house, so we don't shop there for food but I'm sure some do.

Do I think my area has too many? No. I think they all have merit to exist based on their locations, and having variety is good. There's actually one location that has been without a grocer for a few years now after Dominick's closed. They had a Joe Caputo's for a couple years and then that left and it has been empty ever since.

The areas that don't have enough, it's mostly just basic economics. The riots from last year with the government effectively leaving certain areas to be looted to hell also didn't help anyone. Who would open a store in an area with no police and a high chance of theft, on top of the lower incomes? I know I wouldn't.

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 01, 2021, 08:38:09 PM
Quote from: Big John on October 01, 2021, 07:58:58 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 30, 2021, 10:14:59 AM
I think a lot of our grocery stores are way too big.
Then you won't like Woodman's in Wisconsin.  Large footprint and groceries all through it.  Usual lower prices are the draw.
Oh, we have Woodman's in Illinois, too, and they're fantastic.  They sell Donald Duck orange juice, which I haven't seen for sale anywhere in thirty years.

I am still yet to go to one of those. I've heard people rave about it. When I'm back home, I might go and have a look.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

We used to drink Donald Duck orange juice when i was growing up and I still see it fairly often. Saw someone advertising it for sale just last week. I don't drink OJ at all anymore. It gives me bad heartburn.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

andrepoiy

I live in a generally considered wealthy area, and near me we have like 4 grocery stores. Of course I'm assuming somewhere that isn't as wealthy probably won't have as many options.

triplemultiplex

I like Woodman's because of the selection.  They have every variety of everything, man.  Since they're not tied down to their own suppliers with the store's brand, that frees up a LOT of shelf space for stuff you can't find in a typical grocery store.  And their TV spots are endearing.  "Aye carumba, what a deal!!"
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.