National Boards > General Highway Talk

What will happen when trucks get fast?

(1/12) > >>

kernals12:
Truckers measure their 0-60 times in minutes as opposed to seconds. To prevent slow trucks from holding up traffic (and getting rear ended by faster cars), many highways include climbing lanes. But things are changing. New electric trucks can offer far quicker acceleration. Tesla claims their Semi can get from 0-60 with a full 80,000 pound load in just 20 seconds. Surely this will mean better traffic flow in a lot of places?

kphoger:
Does accelerating that quickly drain the battery more?

formulanone:
That's really not fast, says the owner of a 128hp automobile.

Considering there's not going to be a majority switchover from ICE to electric trucks for at least 15-20 years, there's not much reason to change things to accommodate a few faster trucks.

JoePCool14:

--- Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 04:55:56 PM ---Does accelerating that quickly drain the battery more?

--- End quote ---

I would assume it does. Just like accelerating faster in a car with an ICE uses more gas.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 28, 2022, 04:58:39 PM ---

--- Quote from: kphoger on October 28, 2022, 04:55:56 PM ---Does accelerating that quickly drain the battery more?

--- End quote ---

I would assume it does. Just like accelerating faster in a car with an ICE uses more gas.

--- End quote ---

If that's the case, then I imagine a lot of companies would instruct their drivers to not put the pedal to the metal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version