News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Communities That Feature Head Start Walk Signals

Started by roadman65, December 26, 2023, 02:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

In Lakeland, FL, all Downtown signalized intersections feature a delayed green to allow for pedestrian to use the crosswalk. You'll see the WALK icon appear a couple seconds before the light turns green to give pedestrians a head start.

Any places else that feature this setup at intersections?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

All over Seattle, and now in many suburbs as well. It's a welcome change and even helps drivers due to the rash of red-light-runners who would otherwise hit the first wave to go on a green (since no one thinks to look around these days).

-- US 175 --

There is an intersection in downtown Dallas in the Arts District at Ross/Leonard that has this.  One side of Ross there is where a few of the Arts District venues are, while the other side has a surface parking lot.  I there's at least 1 other example in Dallas, but I can't remember where.

Rothman

I know of intersections which have a dedicated pedestrian phase, but not a leading walk signal.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

A Leading Pedestrian Interval (LPI...what it's officially called) is fairly common now in many cities.

Most of the locations that have ped signals here in Vermont, on the other hand, typically have a dedicated pedestrian phase.

wriddle082

Charlotte, NC does this in the Uptown area.  Can't recall off the top of my head if they do it in other neighborhoods.

SectorZ

Boston MA has some, Cambridge next door has tons of them.

Rothman

Quote from: SectorZ on December 26, 2023, 09:34:11 AM
Boston MA has some, Cambridge next door has tons of them.
Boston may have one at Lomasney/Causeway or Staniford/Merrimac, IIRC now.  Just walked through there this past May.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

I've seen intersections in DC at which the pedestrian light comes on maybe three or four seconds prior to the green light. I couldn't give you a full list off the top of my head, but I know 10th & H NW is one of them.

I feel like I've seen this at a few intersections in Lower Manhattan as well, but I'm not sure which ones.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ET21

There are a couple in Chicago, most of the ones I've noticed have been on my walking commutes around the West Loop/Fulton Market locales
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

freebrickproductions

There are, or at least were, some in downtown Huntsville, AL.

I also recall seeing some in downtown Milwaukee or around that area.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Bitmapped

These are common in parts of Pittsburgh, such as the Oakland neighborhood near the University of Pittsburgh. I prefer this setup to having a dedicated pedestrian phase. It gives peds a couple seconds to get established in the intersection without the delays associated with a ped-only phase.

Quillz

ElishaGOtis

Tampa and Gainesville, FL have a bunch at the major intersections.
When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

Hobart

Milwaukee has a few in the downtown area floating around, although the head start isn't much longer than a couple seconds. Jefferson and Wisconsin comes to mind as an example.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.