News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rochester, NY to Washington, DC

Started by webny99, May 11, 2017, 11:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I'm roadtripping to Baltimore next week, something we do with some frequency. Any suggestions for routings that avoid the congestion on US 11/US 15?

froggie

Plenty of routes that avoid Selinsgrove/Shamokin Dam.  Question is two-fold:  how much do you want to go out of your way, and what type of roads are you comfortable with or prefer to avoid?

froggie

Reminds me of an adage in business (and with products).  There's fast, cheap, and good.  You can usually get 2 of the 3, but not all 3.

In your case, there's *avoid Selinsgrove/Shamokin, *avoid going through towns, *avoid going significantly out of the way, and *moving at speed.  You can probably get 3 of the 4, but not all 4.

So pick your poison pill.

jemacedo9

I travel from Rochester to Harrisburg and then east, monthly, and there really isn't a significantly faster route vs staying in US 11/15.  There are two alternatives that will at least keep you somewhat moving vs sittitng at the lights on US 11/15.

1. Take US 15 south out of Williamsport.  After the PA 642 exit, turn right on Col John Kelly Drive.  At the end of that, turn right onto PA 192 and then an immediate left onto Forest Hill Rd.  Take that to the end, turn right in PA 45 West, then at the other end of Mifflinburg, turn left on PA 104 South.  That will lead you back to US 11/15.  Those roads are two lanes with curves, and 45-55 speed limits with the exceptions of three or four short small towns. 

2. Take Old Trail Road to bypass the US 11/15 section with lights.  Take the first left after the PA 61 ramps. 

As I said, neither one is significantly faster, and maybe not faster at all, but definitely less congested.  PA 147 on the east side of the Susquehanna south of Sunbury takes longer, because it's not as straight when it deals with some of the larger hills.

jemacedo9

All of the named roads I mentioned are SR/PA Quadrant routes.  The first option is somewhat scenic.

They can't finish the CSVT fast enough...That is going to shave off at least 15 min on a good day off the trip, and possibly more.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.