News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allniter89

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

US 89

Within a span of about an hour and a half, a new tropical depression formed, strengthened into Tropical Storm Imelda, and made landfall on Texas. It's looking like Houston and the rest of southeast Texas could get a hell of a lot of rain from this - probably not to Harvey or Allison levels, but a lot of flash flooding is expected in that area.

route56

Well, within the last week, we've had three more storms spin up.  Jerry looks to be spreading a second round of wind and rain to Bermuda, Karen is out in the Caribbean, and Lorenzo is out by the Cape Verde region.

Meanwhile, in the Pacific, the forecaster gave us a couple of interesting advisory headlines:

..KIKO RESTRENGTHENS AS IT INCHES CLOSER TO THE END OF THE EASTERN PACIFIC BASIN...

...GAME OVER... ...MARIO BECOMES A REMNANT LOW...

Mario's quest as a tropical cyclone is over. The low has produced only a few small areas of intermittent convection during the last day or so, but with insufficient organization to be classified as a tropical cyclone. Therefore, Mario is now a remnant low and this is the last advisory.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

CNGL-Leudimin

The Atlantic has had five new tropical storms in just 10 days! Now that is crazy, or the season's peak.

Kiko is nowhere near the end of the Eastern Pacific, which I consider to include the so-called Central Pacific (much like Wikipedia does) and thus extends all the way to the 180° Meridian (which is also where hurricanes cease to be such and instead be referred to as typhoons). The -140° Meridian is just the NHC/CPHC boundary.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

route56

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 24, 2019, 03:33:12 AM
The Atlantic has had five new tropical storms in just 10 days! Now that is crazy, or the season's peak.

AIUI, September 10 is usually the Atlantic hurricane season's "peak."

As for Kiko and how to treat the Pacific between 140W and 180... remember, a storm that strengthens to a Storm here receives its name from a separate list than either the East or West Pacific basins. Obviously, in yesterday's headline, the forecaster was referring to the dividing line between RSMC Miami and RSMC Honolulu.

Today's Forecaster had this to say about Kiko:

Still, Kiko has been one for the record books and should enter the top 10 in longest-lived eastern Pacific tropical cyclones by midday Tuesday.

Also, It appears that Lorenzo is forecast to become a major hurricane, but will be a "true" fish spinner, passing to the east of Bermuda.

R.P.K.

US 89

I stopped following Lorenzo after its 145 mph peak on Friday morning. Imagine my surprise when I checked the NHC this evening and saw it had restrengthened back to a 160 mph category 5.

Assuming the rating holds up in post-season analysis, this storm is breaking a bunch of records. It is by far the easternmost category 5 on record at 45ºW (previous record was Hugo at 54ºW), and also had the lowest pressure in an Atlantic hurricane east of 50ºW. It also makes 2019 only the seventh season on record to feature two category 5 Atlantic hurricanes.

The Atlantic has never seen a fish-spinning Category 5. Depending on how close it comes to the Azores, Lorenzo could well be the first. Unfortunately, it won't be a true fishspinner because a French barge sank in the storm; 3 people have been rescued but 11 are still missing.

CNGL-Leudimin

Lorenzo will join the 2005 iteration of Emily in the very short list of storms that reached category 5 and yet managed to survive in the naming list. Even further, Lorenzo will be the first such storm to have been operationally recognized as cat. 5, as Emily was only upgraded in the post-season reanalysis. I already theorized such a scenario where a category 5 monster doesn't get retired, and now I get to see it.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CNGL-Leudimin

Okay, the Atlantic hurricane season has come to an end. A weird one, where my list of storms starts with Barry (skipping Andrea) and ends with Pablo and Sebastien (skipping Rebekah, thus Sebastien should have been Pablo). Chantal will remain in the list again thanks to a subtropical storm (which IMO shouldn't be named), it was spared from retirement in 2007 along with Erin and Melissa, and looks like Dorian will be struck down.

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

US71

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 01, 2019, 05:13:12 AM
Okay, the Atlantic hurricane season has come to an end. A weird one, where my list of storms starts with Barry (skipping Andrea) and ends with Pablo and Sebastien (skipping Rebekah, thus Sebastien should have been Pablo). Chantal will remain in the list again thanks to a subtropical storm (which IMO shouldn't be named), it was spared from retirement in 2007 along with Erin and Melissa, and looks like Dorian will be struck down.

It will be a gray day if Dorian is struck down ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ozarkman417

It appears hurricane season has started a couple weeks early.. Tropical Storm ARTHUR has become the first named storm of the season. It is somewhat close to the coast, but will curve back in to the ocean.

Yes, I know this thread hasn't been replied to in months, but there hasn't been a hurricane in a long time, either.

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 17, 2020, 06:19:17 PM
It appears hurricane season has started a couple weeks early.. Tropical Storm ARTHUR has become the first named storm of the season. It is somewhat close to the coast, but will curve back in to the ocean.

Yes, I know this thread hasn't been replied to in months, but there hasn't been a hurricane in a long time, either.

Didn't the season start early last year, as well? NOAA may have to make some adjustments.

EDIT: Yes is did. Sub Tropical storm Andrea formed May 20, 2019,  dissipated May 21.

US 89

Quote from: US71 on May 17, 2020, 06:24:14 PM
Didn't the season start early last year, as well?

Yep. So did the 2018 season. And the 2017 season. And the 2016 season. And the 2015 season, too.

US71

Quote from: US 89 on May 17, 2020, 06:57:39 PM

Yep. So did the 2018 season. And the 2017 season. And the 2016 season. And the 2015 season, too.

Someone needs to inform Mother Nature when the season is supposed to begin ;)

CNGL-Leudimin

They claim it's the 6th year in a row the Atlantic has started too early. I don't think so, because I don't include subtropical storms and thus I consider the first storm in 2019 (Barry, which should have been Andrea) to have formed on July 11 instead, more than a month into the season.

Also, they cancelled the meeting in which they were to announce the retired names of 2019 (due to reasons known to everyone), so I temporarily consider the list for 2025 is the same as the one for 2019.

Anyway, I prefer the thing that is in the Bay of Bengal now, cyclone Amphan. Now that is ending a list with a bang. Earlier on I tracked cyclone Harold in the South Pacific, and a tropical depression in the Eastern Pacific... in April.

US71

2020 Names:

Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gonzalo
Hanna
Isaias
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 17, 2020, 06:19:17 PM

Its mother was a hamster, and its father smelt of elderberries.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

empirestate

Quote from: US 89 on May 17, 2020, 06:57:39 PM

Wait, you mean for all those years, June 1st came and went earlier than our calendars indicated it did?  :-D

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 18, 2020, 08:07:25 AM
They claim it's the 6th year in a row the Atlantic has started too early. I don't think so, because I don't include subtropical storms and thus I consider the first storm in 2019 (Barry, which should have been Andrea) to have formed on July 11 instead, more than a month into the season.

So how are they wrong based on what you think?

Alex

It's the 1990 list in this year's rotation. 1990 was the first season to ever reach the N named storm.

Retired from that list are Cesar, Diana, Fran, Gustav, Hortense, Isidore, Klaus, Lili and Paloma.

Diana and Klaus were retired that year.

Quote from: US71 on May 18, 2020, 08:43:15 AM
2020 Names:

Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gonzalo
Hanna
Isaias
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paulette
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

CNGL-Leudimin

I should note this year's list is exactly the same as 2014's, as there were no retired names then.
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 18, 2020, 12:56:50 PM

They aren't by any means wrong. I respect their decisions, but I disagree with some, like the naming of subtropical storms. They are "almost, but not quite tropical", so I don't see the point of giving them names from the same list as fully tropical ones.

US 89

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 18, 2020, 04:05:26 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 18, 2020, 12:56:50 PM
They aren't by any means wrong. I respect their decisions, but I disagree with some, like the naming of subtropical storms. They are "almost, but not quite tropical", so I don't see the point of giving them names from the same list as fully tropical ones.

The NHC obviously sees a point to it, though. Otherwise they wouldn't do it. And I'm going to go with what the experts say on this one.

route56

It's the first official day of the Atlantic Hurricane season, and we have our third tropical cyclone in the Gulf. It looks like TD 3 may get up to storm strength.

R.P.K.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: route56 on June 01, 2020, 07:37:50 PM
It's the first official day of the Atlantic Hurricane season, and we have our third tropical cyclone in the Gulf. It looks like TD 3 may get up to storm strength.
It may become a hurricane in the gulf too, some models have been forecasting a pressure in the 970s.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

ftballfan

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 29, 2019, 04:35:20 AM
Lorenzo will join the 2005 iteration of Emily in the very short list of storms that reached category 5 and yet managed to survive in the naming list. Even further, Lorenzo will be the first such storm to have been operationally recognized as cat. 5, as Emily was only upgraded in the post-season reanalysis. I already theorized such a scenario where a category 5 monster doesn't get retired, and now I get to see it.
It goes double for Emily as that one made landfall (as a Category 4). Emily (2005) is one of the most surprising non-retirements in hurricane naming.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.