News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Favorite Closed Stores/Restaurants (AKA Flying Chicken fan thread)

Started by cl94, May 08, 2018, 08:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Good things can't always last forever, and that holds true for stores and restaurants. Each of us has local restaurants and stores that we miss dearly, as they are no longer in this world.

A favorite of many people on the forum (myself included) was The Flying Chicken in Troy, NY. Best fried chicken I have ever had. Sadly, they closed their doors in July of last year and I no longer have the chickeny goodness near my home.

Does anybody else miss a store or restaurant that has closed? Any memories to share? Any love for The Flying Chicken (RIP)?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Dougtone

I too miss the Flying Chicken. They made some deeeeeeeelicious maple sausage gravy.

I also miss the Empire Sub Shop in Liverpool, NY, as they made the same style cheeseburg subs as Oswego Sub Shop does.

US71

Mary Maestri's, Tontitown, AR

Happy Family, Springfield, MO

The Homestead, Blue Island, IL
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

The Halligan Bar & Grill in Short Pump, VA (where the last Richmond road meet was held). All three locations closed within the last year. Shame.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Glass Dome Hickory Pit and Barnum & Bagel in the Chicago area.

In the DC area, the Orleans House and Ristorante A/V.

hbelkins

Cedar Village in Irvine, Ky. (although the former owner has a similar restaurant called Michael's in next-door Ravenna, and I understand the food is similar.)

The Purple Cow in my hometown of Beattyville, Ky.

Family Diner in Jackson, Ky.

As for stores, I miss a chain that was based out of somewhere in southern Ohio called The Sundry Store. They didn't sell clothing or fresh food, but they carried many other things, including health and beauty items, and more importantly to me, albums and CDs. I bought many a new music release at various locations of that chain.

Also, Maloney's, which was something of a poor man's Walmart back before Walmart was everywhere.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Bradlees. Although that may just be nostalgia talking as I was 10 when the local one closed.

There was also a local record store called Turnstyle that specialized in electronic music from Europe that I enjoyed very much, but it closed when the owners had a baby.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

If we're going to talk record stores, there are three I miss very much -- or would miss if I bought much music these days.

Cut Corner and Spy in Lexington, and Recordsmith in Richmond. I could own a small country if I had the money I spent over the years at those three places.

abefroman329

The only place I buy music nowadays is from iTunes, and Apple has announced they're going to stop selling music in the next year or two (after that you'll have to use iTunes Radio or another streaming service such as Pandora or Spotify).

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 09, 2018, 12:03:02 PM
The only place I buy music nowadays is from iTunes, and Apple has announced they're going to stop selling music in the next year or two (after that you'll have to use iTunes Radio or another streaming service such as Pandora or Spotify).

That will have the unintended consequence of pushing people back to buying physical copies of music. I'm not going to pay for it unless I own the media and can play it when and where I want to.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2018, 12:06:34 PM

That will have the unintended consequence of pushing people back to buying physical copies of music. I'm not going to pay for it unless I own the media and can play it when and where I want to.

Nah.  People are already using Spotify, YouTube and the like to not pay for it.  There will not be a rush back to physical copies.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on May 09, 2018, 12:10:39 PM

Nah.  People are already using Spotify, YouTube and the like to not pay for it.  There will not be a rush back to physical copies.

I was going to say, I pay $5/month for Spotify Premium instead of buying music. I can listen to pretty much anything and save music to my phone so I can listen without data, including new releases. Worth it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

abefroman329

Quote from: cl94 on May 09, 2018, 12:18:20 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 09, 2018, 12:10:39 PM

I was going to say, I pay $5/month for Spotify Premium instead of buying music. I can listen to pretty much anything and save music to my phone so I can listen without data, including new releases. Worth it.

I don't have an unlimited data plan and I spend several hours a day listening to music where there isn't WiFi to connect to.  Plus there ARE still places in this country without a reliable mobile data connection.  And then there are airplanes, where you usually can't stream music over the available WiFi connection, which means you can't stream music at all from the time the airplane door closes to the time you land at your destination. 

Streaming music isn't a catchall solution, though if Apple is going to stop selling music, it must be because it's enough of a catchall solution for most users of Apple products.

abefroman329

AFAIK there's no way to get music ripped from a CD onto an iPhone.  Maybe after jailbreaking the phone, but then that would mean I couldn't use it for work purposes.

cl94

Who says I stream all day? I download stuff when I have an internet connection to listen when I'm away from one. I only stream away from home if I'm near the end of the data cycle and have a ton left.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 09, 2018, 12:49:00 PM

AFAIK there's no way to get music ripped from a CD onto an iPhone.  Maybe after jailbreaking the phone, but then that would mean I couldn't use it for work purposes.

I'm not allowed to jailbreak my work phone, either...but this works entirely with Apple's software.

1. Download iTunes to your PC.
2. Setup account the same as your iPhone.
3. Drag and drop songs to iTunes, or let it search for music.
4. Plug in USB to PC, and unlock phone to permit read/write.
5. Sync iPhone (as you would with an iPod).
6. Listen to your tunes in the Music app.

* I have an iPod and an iPhone, so I created a separate Windows user login just for my phone, because 80GB of music won't fit on my phone. I put my favorites in a separate iTunes library which just recalls the same music on my hard drive.

You can thank Jakeroot for this info.

Takumi

I still buy physical copies whenever possible, but yeah, I’ll just go to other stores to buy digital-only copies. I refuse to stream other than looking an artist up on YouTube from time to time.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 09, 2018, 12:49:00 PM

I rip mine through iTunes and it works fine.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

vdeane

I do use YouTube to stream music, though if I like something and it's available, I'll buy it on Amazon MP3.  I still buy CDs for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, because the stories for the albums are in the booklet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ET21

Whatever the name it was, a sub sandwich joint at the corner of 87th and State Rd in Burbank. It's now a pretty decent mexican joint, but I miss their sub sandwiches and chocolate shakes  :love: :love: :-( :-( :-(
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

As others have noted, you can use iTunes to put ripped music onto an iPhone, and you can also tell iTunes which music you want to transfer and which you don't (I have something like 85 GB of Springsteen on my iPhone and just about no other music, for example, but I have tons of other ripped music).

Streaming doesn't appeal much to me because it gives somebody else control over my access to the music. That is, I don't listen to Taylor Swift, but I recall she and her management got into some kind of dispute with Spotify that led to none of her music being available on said service for some amount of time. If I were a fan of hers and I relied on Spotify, I would have been extremely upset. With that said, I do recognize how streaming can sometimes be a nice way to find new music that might appeal to you if the software uses some sort of predictive algorithm–I've periodically listened to Pandora's free service, for instance, and I have found some decent stuff that way (I then purchased copies of what I wanted).

I don't buy a lot of music from iTunes anyway. I tend to opt for HDTracks.com instead. I prefer the high-rez .FLAC downloads that I can then copy and convert to whatever format I need for a particular device (native .FLAC to burn to disc for the car; Apple Lossless for my iPod or iPhone; .WAV if I want to burn a CD for our 2003 Acura; etc.).

Regarding the original topic, there used to be a wonderful hardware store in Springfield, Virginia, named Fischer's. It was well-known locally as the store where you could find anything. I liked that you didn't have to buy a huge quantity of nails or screws or whatever–they'd sell you individual screws if you only needed three or four for a job, for instance. The store joined the ACE Hardware chain some years ago, almost immediately ran into financial difficulties that were exacerbated when the chain mandated changes in how they managed inventory, and closed. It's now an Aldi. Damn shame that place closed.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: Takumi on May 09, 2018, 02:06:21 PM

I still buy physical copies whenever possible, but yeah, I'll just go to other stores to buy digital-only copies. I refuse to stream other than looking an artist up on YouTube from time to time.
Why?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on May 09, 2018, 05:29:16 PM

I still buy physical copies whenever possible, but yeah, I'll just go to other stores to buy digital-only copies. I refuse to stream other than looking an artist up on YouTube from time to time.
Why?

With a CD, you actually own the music. This isn't the case with digital copies.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 09, 2018, 04:11:46 PM
Regarding the original topic, there used to be a wonderful hardware store in Springfield, Virginia, named Fischer's. It was well-known locally as the store where you could find anything. I liked that you didn't have to buy a huge quantity of nails or screws or whatever–they'd sell you individual screws if you only needed three or four for a job, for instance. The store joined the ACE Hardware chain some years ago, almost immediately ran into financial difficulties that were exacerbated when the chain mandated changes in how they managed inventory, and closed. It's now an Aldi. Damn shame that place closed.

I can appreciate this, since we just bought a house and I've spent a lot of time mounting things to studs and walls (a television, a floating entertainment center, and a medicine cabinet), and the local hardware store will sell you individual screws, whereas Home Depot will only sell you 4.  They also sell things like paint and spackle in smaller quantities than HD, which is good if you only need a little bit of one or the other (HD seems to have taken a page out of Walmart's playbook and gives you the choice of "buy the economy-sized version or go to hell.").  They were also able to rekey the lock cylinder to a storm door, and key it to the same key as the doorknob and the deadbolt, meaning 3 locks can be unlocked with the same key.  The downsides are a) things are definitely more expensive there than at HD or Lowe's and b) the employees tend to move at their own pace (getting some keys made took an exceptionally long time).

Takumi

Quote from: 1 on May 09, 2018, 05:30:35 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 09, 2018, 05:29:16 PM

Why?

With a CD, you actually own the music. This isn't the case with digital copies.
Pretty much this.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.