News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

Quote from: dvferyance on May 15, 2023, 05:04:08 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on May 15, 2023, 10:03:29 AM
The new state highway map is available. Not too many changes. Wis 23 is shown as a 4 lane highway after completion, not as an expressway. In the city maps, the changes in Manitowoc and Wis 311 is added in Mt. Pleasant. Wis 74 is removed. Railroads that CN sold are now labeled as "Fox."  Wis 30 is marked as freeway to US 151 but the Madison Beltline, Wis 145, 175, and 119 are still simply 4 lane divided despite being full freeways.
That's too bad the beltline without question should be marked as a freeway. I am shocked they did not correct that this time. Does it no longer show an interchange at Hwy 100 and Hwy 57?

That interchange is still on the map. The US 53/US 63 north interchange isn't on the map either. Here's a link to the map.

https://wisconsindot.gov/documents/travel/road/hwy-maps/statemap.pdf

skluth

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 15, 2023, 01:37:22 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on May 15, 2023, 10:03:29 AM
the Madison Beltline, Wis 145, 175, and 119 are still simply 4 lane divided despite being full freeways.

It just boggles my mind that they do that wrong.  In what universe is the Beltline not a freeway?
And out of no where too! A few years back after showing it correctly for decades, we're just gonna say, "DERP!"
It offends me as a map nerd and cartographer and a person with (I hope) common sense.

I can almost understand the Beltline if WISDOT only wants to use freeway with non-interstates not built to modern interstate standards but I agree that it should be depicted as a freeway. US 151 between Sun Prairie and I-90/94/39 also should be a freeway. WI 11 around Monroe should too but it has that insane bike trail crossing.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: skluth on May 18, 2023, 11:10:07 AM

I can almost understand the Beltline if WISDOT only wants to use freeway with non-interstates not built to modern interstate standards but I agree that it should be depicted as a freeway. US 151 between Sun Prairie and I-90/94/39 also should be a freeway. WI 11 around Monroe should too but it has that insane bike trail crossing.

That bike path was a former railroad, I wonder when that line was abandonned? 

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 18, 2023, 12:12:34 PM
Quote from: skluth on May 18, 2023, 11:10:07 AM

That bike path was a former railroad, I wonder when that line was abandonned? 

Looking at historic aerials, sometime in the late 80s / early 90s is my guess.

peterj920

To this day WISDOT does not like to build railroad bridges on lines with low rail traffic. When Wis 11 was constructed, the Illinois Central rail traffic was declining.

US 141 expressway was constructed with two rail crossings of the Escanaba and Lake Superior Railroad, which has trains about once a day and poorly maintained rail, while US 151 has two Wisconsin & Southern at grade crossings in Beaver Dam and Waupun. Just south of Beaver Dam an overpass on US 151 was constructed over the Union Pacific line since that line is very busy.

triplemultiplex

The frustrating part about this change for the worse in the official state highway map is they have a good road classification system on their map.  Particularly the distinction between just any ol' divided highway and an "expressway"; one that still has freeway speeds but not quite the access control of a freeway.  Few states bother making that distinction.  Hell, some states have never been bothered to show non-interstate freeways differently than the non-freeway portions of those highways. (Looking at you, Minnesota; your state map sucks!  City insets are good, but the statewide map fails.)

They've got a good system in place, but when they don't use it correctly, it's extra annoying.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: peterj920 on May 18, 2023, 01:06:07 PM
To this day WISDOT does not like to build railroad bridges on lines with low rail traffic. When Wis 11 was constructed, the Illinois Central rail traffic was declining.

TCH-20 south of Lévis, Québec used to have a railroad crossing where the line was abandonned in the early 1990s as shown in this GSV from 2009 https://goo.gl/maps/DHUKeN61Z8hpwsnW6 but since then an overpass for a bike path was constructed. https://goo.gl/maps/1cncMJTJYgLzJNHE9

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 18, 2023, 02:39:43 PM
The frustrating part about this change for the worse in the official state highway map is they have a good road classification system on their map.  Particularly the distinction between just any ol' divided highway and an "expressway"; one that still has freeway speeds but not quite the access control of a freeway.  Few states bother making that distinction.  Hell, some states have never been bothered to show non-interstate freeways differently than the non-freeway portions of those highways. (Looking at you, Minnesota; your state map sucks!  City insets are good, but the statewide map fails.)

The way they identify an "expressway", it look like how Goshua maps used to identify a "Super-2" in their road atlas and maps.

The Ghostbuster

I tried ordering a 2023 map from travelwisconsin.com. Instead, I received a 2019/2020 map (I now have three of them). I cursed when I saw what they sent me. I will try again in a few months to see if they send me the real 2023 map.

WisJohn

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 18, 2023, 10:38:24 PM
I tried ordering a 2023 map from travelwisconsin.com. Instead, I received a 2019/2020 map (I now have three of them). I cursed when I saw what they sent me. I will try again in a few months to see if they send me the real 2023 map.

Contact your legislator. They got the 2023 ones a week or two ago.

JREwing78

Quote from: peterj920 on May 18, 2023, 01:06:07 PM

US 141 expressway was constructed with two rail crossings of the Escanaba and Lake Superior Railroad, which has trains about once a day and poorly maintained rail, while US 151 has two Wisconsin & Southern at grade crossings in Beaver Dam and Waupun. Just south of Beaver Dam an overpass on US 151 was constructed over the Union Pacific line since that line is very busy.

That's not WisDOT's finest decision-making, as became obvious a year ago.

Hwy 141 reopens at scene of deadly crash, train derailment; victim identified
https://www.wbay.com/2021/12/15/crews-scene-major-crash-marinette-county/

The crossing isn't particularly obvious even in good weather conditions:
https://goo.gl/maps/ekTHFXrg6E8d8AAz6https://goo.gl/maps/iyohgein6N21Bdww6
https://goo.gl/maps/oL2y1s1Qr6mmS3Y69https://goo.gl/maps/QyDRQC3eENu52ajv9

Michigan's DOT handles this situation better - US-127 just north of M-57:
Don't stop on green light!: https://goo.gl/maps/dLWmM5isUyUeFbVp7
1st warning: https://goo.gl/maps/Ezst9cb3mEbCd1XF9
2nd warning: https://goo.gl/maps/ah1Yyzvg9AbK1pRh6
Seriously, don't stop on green!: https://goo.gl/maps/bZmhKhyw581R35rZ6
Actual crossing, with a stoplight and flashing red lights: https://goo.gl/maps/NxsZN6bMtvXX1bWq9

Would it have helped the terminally oblivious driving too fast for conditions? Maybe? But there's a few more chances to be reminded you might have to stop.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 18, 2023, 10:38:24 PM
I was just at the Jefferson County Rest Area today they still have the 2019 edition. I will have to wait longer.

peterj920

The I-94/90 rest area in Mauston just stocked new 2023 maps and I was able to get one. The employee had a large box of them.

SSOWorld

Quote from: peterj920 on May 26, 2023, 02:22:45 PM
The I-94/90 rest area in Mauston just stocked new 2023 maps and I was able to get one. The employee had a large box of them.
any improvements to the beltline drawing?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JREwing78

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 27, 2023, 12:19:01 AM
Quote from: peterj920 on May 26, 2023, 02:22:45 PM
any improvements to the beltline drawing?

I'd be shocked if it was any different than the one WisDOT posted on the web:
https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/travel/road/hwy-maps/statemap.pdf

midwesternroadguy

I have never seen a speed limit-based decision to demote freeway status cartographically before.    That's just wrong. My guess is that it's WisDOT's desire to discourage use of the Beltline as an alternate route between Madison and the Dells (on the order of removing Oshkosh as a destination from the BGSs at the WI 26/US 151 interchange NE of Waupun).  WisDOT does some funny things to keep people from using some alternate routes, even though they sign others. Granted US 12 does back up horribly in Sauk City on summer weekends. 

Other minor updates on the 2023 map: 

Southwest Arterial/US 52 at Dubuque

Incorporation of Yorkville, Raymond, Greenville, and at long last, Somers. 

New cities reaching 10,000 people (with yellow tint):  Holmen, New Richmond, Sparta, Oregon, DeForest, Greenville, Salem Lakes (shown earlier?), and a large incorporated south of Sherwood (?). 

Improvements to US 18/151 and interchange with County Trunk PB/McKee Road. Interesting that PB is shown as multi lane divided to the west.  That is another frequent inconsistency: why are only a few selected divided CTHs depicted that way? 

mgk920

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on May 28, 2023, 07:52:49 AM
I have never seen a speed limit-based decision to demote freeway status cartographically before.    That's just wrong. My guess is that it's WisDOT's desire to discourage use of the Beltline as an alternate route between Madison and the Dells (on the order of removing Oshkosh as a destination from the BGSs at the WI 26/US 151 interchange NE of Waupun).  WisDOT does some funny things to keep people from using some alternate routes, even though they sign others. Granted US 12 does back up horribly in Sauk City on summer weekends. 

New cities reaching 10,000 people (with yellow tint):  Holmen, New Richmond, Sparta, Oregon, DeForest, Greenville, Salem Lakes (shown earlier?), and a large incorporated south of Sherwood (?). 

Improvements to US 18/151 and interchange with County Trunk PB/McKee Road. Interesting that PB is shown as multi lane divided to the west.  That is another frequent inconsistency: why are only a few selected divided CTHs depicted that way?

IMHO, many/most of these suburban township incorporations will ultimately fail (give it a few decades) due to the factor of 'insufficient tax base to cover expected long-term cost of services'.  Unfortunately, that test is not a legal requirement in the state's municipal law statutes.

Mike

SSOWorld

Southwest Arterial/US 52 is a freeway with Breezewoods at both ends.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

peterj920

Quote from: midwesternroadguy on May 28, 2023, 07:52:49 AM

The incorporated area around Sherwood is Harrison. Part of the town was initially incorporated which was the Darboy portion in Calumet County. The new village then annexed the rest of the town. Sherwood is done growing and is completely surrounded by Harrison. On Wis 114/55, there's Harrison signs right after leaving Sherwood on both sides.

One other thing I wondered is why US 45 north of Antigo to Hwy B is never shown as 4 lane divided?

As far as the 4 lane divided, ironically Wis 23 has a 65 mph speed limit between County C and UU with more J turns than probably any other expressway yet it's not marked as an expressway.

One other thing I also notice is that the US 51/US 2 interchange is removed from the new map.

mgk920

That Harrison Township is one of the munis I referenced above that I believe will ultimately fail as an entity due to the issue of insufficient tax base to cover expected long term cost of services.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Has Wisconsin ever had a municipality "fail?"

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 29, 2023, 04:33:09 AM
Has Wisconsin ever had a municipality "fail?"

Village of Brokaw , also the then tiny Village of Kekoske.  Both were older munis and were a within the past few years.  The newer suburban 'township' entities that have been popping up in recent years (driven by the sole reason of preventing themselves from becoming parts of other existing entities) don't have enough real tax base (they are mostly low-density 1F residential, some low density commercial and industrial and lots of open farm and forest land) and won't have the cash needed when their infrastructures need replacing and serious upgrading, among other things.  I even worry about the newer 'low density' parts of older existing munis like the City of Appleton.  There are other munis that 'failed' decades ago and are now parts of other munis "ie, Village of Barton (now part of the City of West Bend) and  Preble Township (Brown County, now part of the City of Green Bay).

Mike

peterj920

Quote from: mgk920 on May 29, 2023, 02:55:35 AM
That Harrison Township is one of the munis I referenced above that I believe will ultimately fail as an entity due to the issue of insufficient tax base to cover expected long term cost of services.

Mike

Those municipalities aren't going to fail. I lived in Fitchburg which has been a city for 40 years now and the majority of the land is still rural. Fitchburg is divided into urban and rural service areas. Areas with low density do not have full City services like sewer and water.

Brokaw failed because the paper mill was by far the biggest customer of city services in a municipality under 300 people. All these other municipalities have high populations despite the large undeveloped portions.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on May 29, 2023, 11:23:17 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 29, 2023, 02:55:35 AM

Mike

Those municipalities aren't going to fail. I lived in Fitchburg which has been a city for 40 years now and the majority of the land is still rural. Fitchburg is divided into urban and rural service areas. Areas with low density do not have full City services like sewer and water.

Brokaw failed because the paper mill was by far the biggest customer of city services in a municipality under 300 people. All these other municipalities have high populations despite the large undeveloped portions.

Yeah I agree with this.  Harrison has over 100 times more people than Brokow did when it merged into Maine.  And how Fitchburg treats urban and rural areas is a great example. My parents built a house there when it was still a town in the mid-70s. To this day that house still does not have city water or sewer service, no cubs and gutters, etc. - and likely never will.

I think the real question is if towns should be able to incorporate themselves versus be annexed by neighboring municipalities. I live in what was once the Town of Preble before it was annexed by Green Bay. I would suggest that the ability to annex that land and grow to the east was very beneficial to the City of Green Bay - to this day there are still parts of the far east side that look quite rural. 

peterj920

The Town of Preble became a part of Green Bay because of a town referendum in the late 1960s.

Last year a law was passed banning the 2 step annexation that Harrison, Fox Crossing, and Greenville used to acquire the portions of the town that were not included in the initial incorporation. There's a 5 year waiting period now and a link to the article is below:

https://www.thebrillionnews.com/amp/evers-signs-bill-nixing-two-step-annexations

Greenleaf was just approved to become a village this year and incorporated because the Town of Wrightstown felt threatened by the Village of Wrightstown. Under the new law Greenleaf can't annex outside the initial boundary for 5 years.

https://fox11online.com/news/local/town-of-wrightstown-incorporates-new-village-greenleaf-brown-county-wisconsin-incorporation-review-board

mgk920

That law should include a provision requiring all cities and villages that are contiguous to any township proposing such a border deal to also give their assent to the proposal, also a provision to undo the damage that has already been done.  In the deeper future, when the 'suburban growth Ponzi scheme' inevitably implodes, we'll need a total top-to-bottom statewide rethink of local governance.  Why was Kekoske allowed to take over that township that completely surrounds Mayville?

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.