News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: mvak36 on February 06, 2021, 02:01:42 AM
Speaking of the airport, I found this page for the XNA Access Road: https://xnaaccess.transportationplanroom.com/

Looks like they already have a preferred alternative, according to the video at https://xnaaccess.transportationplanroom.com/introduction-video. Estimated cost of $85.6 million.

I remember when they were going to build a private toll road, before they decided to have taxpayers fund the road. They have the friggin money.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

I-39

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on February 06, 2021, 09:21:09 AM
We agree that DAL and DEN are no brainers. I know that Southwest flys STL over MDW from Tulsa, Wichita and Little Rock. MDW would be a nice difference in the middle of those two but leads me to believe it would be STL.  As for the Southeast, ATL actually offers a few more southeastern connections than BNA at moment.  Southwest has been growing ATL recently but either would suffice. I don't see BWI from the start but in time. I believe XNA would get either PHX or LAS as well based on TUL, ICT and LIT patterns. I can see Houston Hobby as a  year round or seasonal route due to the Latin America connectionsand Orlando Sat only service be nice but neither  LIT ot TUL has that, so it's a longshot.

As just an observation, Southwest either needs to buyout Alaska or add Anchorage to their map as well.

I think Southwest would just add Anchorage to the map. Buying Alaska wouldn't work, it's more sophisticated than AirTran was.

I said BNA over ATL because while they have grown the latter a bit, they have grown the former even more. Flight wise, Nashville is bit bigger and other than a few destinations like Jackson and Richmond, they are pretty even in the same destinations. I fully expect Southwest at Nashville to get much bigger in the coming years (unless in the unlikely event Delta goes out of business). 

I almost said PHX as well, but I didn't know if that was a popular destination from NWA.

MikieTimT

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on February 03, 2021, 10:38:31 AM
Getting back to I-49 in Arkansas, Google Maps has Satellite images of the construction.

It shows the right of way, but doesn't show the paving.  It is however, better than nothing.

(I wonder what the lead time is from the photo being taken to the image being posted on their website...)

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4901318,-94.3927597,7373m/data=!3m1!1e3

Edit: If you work your way south on future I-49, Google also has shots of the construction of the new Northbound lanes for I-49 almost all the way to the US-71 interchange.  Not much imagery of the interchange construction itself, however.

Checked on Google Earth Pro, which is the same view, and the date is 3/4/2020, so almost a year old at this point.  Much has been done since then.  Google really needs more than annual refreshes in this area or it's almost useless with the rate of development.

US71

From CR 34 (current terminus) north, it appears fully paved and much of the signage is in place,  I almost drove it, but didn't want to get caught.  :pan:

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on February 06, 2021, 08:25:34 PM
From CR 34 (current terminus) north, it appears fully paved and much of the signage is in place,  I almost drove it, but didn't want to get caught.  :pan:

My roommate in College who was becoming Civil Engineer interned with the ADHT back then and not only could he get by with driving on incomplete I-49? He deer hunted it too.

I-39

Quote from: MikieTimT on February 06, 2021, 08:12:07 PM
Getting back to I-49 in Arkansas, Google Maps has Satellite images of the construction.

It shows the right of way, but doesn't show the paving.  It is however, better than nothing.

(I wonder what the lead time is from the photo being taken to the image being posted on their website...)

Edit: If you work your way south on future I-49, Google also has shots of the construction of the new Northbound lanes for I-49 almost all the way to the US-71 interchange.  Not much imagery of the interchange construction itself, however.

Checked on Google Earth Pro, which is the same view, and the date is 3/4/2020, so almost a year old at this point.  Much has been done since then.  Google really needs more than annual refreshes in this area or it's almost useless with the rate of development.

I wish Google would update more often, but it's hard to get every area of the country annually.

MikieTimT

Quote from: I-39 on February 07, 2021, 11:24:08 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on February 06, 2021, 08:12:07 PM

I wish Google would update more often, but it's hard to get every area of the country annually.

I would agree with that.  However, it's not exactly unknown which areas are rapidly developing and thus could use a more frequent refresh.

Wayward Memphian

More timeline given here. It does line up with any concourse work

The total project is expected to cost $85.6 million, which includes $5.8 million for right-of-way acquisition, English said. The Arkansas Highway Commission recently released the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program for 2021-2024, and it shows project development would be funded in federal fiscal year 2023, which starts Oct. 1, 2022. Project development for the 3.6-mile project would cost a total of $11 million, according to the program.

The overall project is expected to be paid for with receipts from the half-cent sales tax that voters permanently extended in November. Also, XNA has about $14 million in federal money reserved for the project, English said.

https://talkbusiness.net/2021/02/garver-ardot-to-host-virtual-meeting-for-xna-connector-road-to-seek-public-feedback/

Quite honestly, this will be a backdoor to Centerton/Gravette/Gentry/West Bentonville unless there is zero access to Ark 264

msunat97

Does anyone have a link to the future US71 / I49 interchange design?  I haven't seen any graphics or simulations of the traffic flow once this work is complete.

sprjus4

Low resolution, but you get the idea.

I-39

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 02, 2021, 06:44:30 PM

Has it started to take shape yet from what you can see on the ground?

msunat97

Looking at the idrivearkansas.com traffic cameras, I can't see too much shape yet.  once they finish the work to control the flow of the creek, then things might begin to resemble the drawing.

MikieTimT

Quote from: I-39 on March 02, 2021, 09:09:20 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 02, 2021, 06:44:30 PM

Has it started to take shape yet from what you can see on the ground?

The beams for the bridges and overpasses for the main carriageway and northbound onramp are in place and over US-71, but no deck yet or approaches.  Still lots of fill to be done before the approaches can be done, and still have all of the concrete work on the bridge decking and railing to be done.  Going northbound into Bella Vista, it's starting to look like an Interstate is going through there now, though.

msunat97

Watching the traffic cams on iDriveArkansas, the construction crews are starting to lay dirt on the concrete culvert for the branch of McKisic Creek.  That should enable them to get the road bed built from the existing road to the new overpass over US71.

GreenLanternCorps

I'm wondering now which end will get done first, the Missouri end or the Arkansas end?

I think the Highway between the ends of the project will be ready well before the two US 71 interchanges...

edwaleni

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on March 03, 2021, 08:52:17 PM
I'm wondering now which end will get done first, the Missouri end or the Arkansas end?

I think the Highway between the ends of the project will be ready well before the two US 71 interchanges...

I vote Arkansas. Even though the exit with US-71 is large, they were simply farther along with their planning and engineering than Missouri was when the money dropped in their lap.

msunat97

Quote from: edwaleni on March 04, 2021, 07:40:49 AM

I vote Arkansas. Even though the exit with US-71 is large, they were simply farther along with their planning and engineering than Missouri was when the money dropped in their lap.

I agree with edwaleni.  Missouri still has to complete the intersection with current I49.  That's a lot of concrete supports & closing the interstate to hang beams over the southbound roadway.  Plus they have to cut the road base & begin paving south towards the state line.

US71

Theoretically, they are supposed to finish around the same time.

edwaleni

Quote from: US71 on March 04, 2021, 10:21:33 AM

If Missouri builds from the border north and does the US-71 ramps last and Arkansas finishes their ramps last, then yes, I could see this happening. But I still think ArDOT will finish their ramps before Missouri does.

Either way, they can't open the route until both are done anyway.

US71

I just checked MoDOT's website:  https://www.modot.org/i-49-missouriarkansas-connector

They are saying completion is scheduled for Sept. 30, 2021 

I'm sure if the weather continues to be relatively mild, it may be sooner.

KamKam

Oh my gosh that's great news!!

abqtraveler

Quote from: US71 on March 04, 2021, 02:13:17 PM
I just checked MoDOT's website:  https://www.modot.org/i-49-missouriarkansas-connector

It would be nice if they had some progress photos on their website. Also, not sure how much impact to the construction schedule February's "polar vortex" had on completing I-49. A lot of construction activity couldn't happen with subfreezing temperatures and snow.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

US71

Quote from: abqtraveler on March 05, 2021, 09:29:29 AM
Quote from: US71 on March 04, 2021, 02:13:17 PM

It would be nice if they had some progress photos on their website. Also, not sure how much impact to the construction schedule February's "polar vortex" had on completing I-49. A lot of construction activity couldn't happen with subfreezing temperatures and snow.

Luckily the "Polar Vortex" only lasted about a week here.

Henry

About time they get it done!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MikieTimT

Quote from: edwaleni on March 04, 2021, 11:02:52 AM
Quote from: US71 on March 04, 2021, 10:21:33 AM

If Missouri builds from the border north and does the US-71 ramps last and Arkansas finishes their ramps last, then yes, I could see this happening. But I still think ArDOT will finish their ramps before Missouri does.

Either way, they can't open the route until both are done anyway.

The same contractor is doing Arkansas and Missouri, other than the interchange in Bentonville.  The Arkansas side will be likely see more headway as that contractor started on the Arkansas side first before Missouri was gifted with their funding.  Now that doesn't mean that they can't pull another crew in to work from the north southward, but I can't see them pulling the crew they have in Arkansas working until they get to a logical stopping place for that phase of the work to move into Missouri.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.