News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2018 NBA Finals

Started by LM117, May 29, 2018, 01:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

tchafe1978

It's like deja vu all over again.

bing101

Dang Warriors vs. CAVS is like this decades version of the 1980's Celtics vs. Lakers though. It's like Larry Bird having to face Magic Johnson in the finals multiple times though.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ET21

Boring... I'll be watching the Stanley Cup Finals
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ftballfan

I think the NBA might be as rigged as WWE. However, in WWE, everyone knows that it is rigged

HazMatt

Quote from: ftballfan on May 30, 2018, 11:43:33 AM
I think the NBA might be as rigged as WWE. However, in WWE, everyone knows that it is rigged

In the NBA everyone knows that it is rigged.  See Kings/Lakers in 2002.

SP Cook

The NBA is not totally rigged, but it not an actual competition like legitimate sports either. 

In any event, its is children's programming.  Like the WWE, how could any adult possibly care? 

tchafe1978

The NBA isn't rigged in the way the WWE is rigged in that it is scripted. The NBA does however show favoritism towards certain star players and large market teams. Star players like Jordan and Kobe back in the day, and certainly LeBron today, will get favorable calls from the refs to give them an advantage. The large market teams get the majority of the coverage and national broadcasts. I like basketball, but the NBA turns me off. That along with the style of play. Too much standing around while one player goes one-on-one. I like college basketball much more.

Rothman

I do wonder if the number of series going to 7 games in the NBA has risen over the past couple of decades.  I have wondered if there is rigging going on to maximize profit from such series.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Hurricane Rex

Yay, another repeat of the last 10 billion years. Not watching.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jp the roadgeek

Salty Celtics fan here.  Of course the NBA wanted the same matchup for ratings.  A Celtics/Rockets final, while personally interesting because I have a good friend who is a Rockets fan, wouldn't have the glitz and glamor of a Cavs/Warriors final.  I'm surprised the league hasn't done everything it could to make the Fakers a superpower again, but I'm sure that's coming.  I think if we ever had something like a Raptors/Jazz Finals, the league would fold.  I'm on to baseball season now, but am intrigued by the Stanley Cup Finals between a first year expansion franchise that no one saw getting anywhere near there, and a team that seemingly had its 2004 Red Sox moment in finally beating the Penguins.  However, with Fleury in goal for the Knights, we'll find out if the Caps kryptonite was the Penguins, or if it is Marc-Andre Fleury.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: HazMatt on May 30, 2018, 01:49:19 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on May 30, 2018, 11:43:33 AM

In the NBA everyone knows that it is rigged.  See Kings/Lakers in 2002.

I've heard this argument so many times regarding the NBA.  How do you explain the Pistons beating the big market Lakers or some dying TV market like Cleveland getting a big star like Lebron James?   You'd make a more reason argument for bias in refereeing the game towards big stars but that's every level of basket ball down to high school. 

Usually I don't get interested in the NBA until the conference finals.   The first round usually is nothing matchups or top seed blow outs.  Regarding Golden State and Cleveland being in the finals, yes I would preferred at least one different team.  At least things aren't as boring as when the Bulls has no competition in the mid-1990s.

Regarding the NHL, yes it's way more intriguing having a expansion team in the Stanley Cup Finals.  There is a lot more parity in the NHL which often leads to more exciting series than the NBA.  The one negative is that things tend to devolve into a team with a hot goalie makes a long playoff run.

Henry

What about the Rockets winning both titles in Jordan's absence or South Beach being a major free agent destination (LeBron James and Chris Bosh)? Hell, the Spurs get no love, and they still own five championships from the Tim Duncan era.

You're right about the NBA wanting the Lakers to be good again, because we've seen the same argument with the Celtics when they were in their own rebuilding phases, and they are the two marquee teams in the NBA. With New York being a basketball mecca, it's surprising that the Knicks are the most cursed team in the league right now, having not won it all since 1973. Technically, the Kings have the longest drought, but they get a pass here for having done it as the Rochester Royals in 1951, and moving three different times.

Having the Patriots in the Super Bowl each year brings about the argument that the NFL is fixed too, but at least there are only four teams who have never made it to the Big Game (Browns, Jaguars, Lions, Texans). And in MLB, the playing field has been leveled even more, what with many other teams getting a shot at winning the World Series, with only two teams (Mariners and Nationals) having not made it to the Fall Classic. As a current Seattle resident, there's nothing I'd love to see than the Mariners experiencing the same joy of winning that my Cubs did in 2016. As for the NHL, I think it's a nice surprise to see an expansion team defy convention and play for a chance to win the Stanley Cup.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

nexus73

No rigging is going on.  Unlike the NFL with its parity approach, the NBA lets those owners who want to spend the Big Bux a chance to buy a championship thanks to the luxury tax.  Add in the fact that there are very few superstuds out there who can Git 'Er Done and that only five players can be on the court at one time to see why so few teams are in contention for a title every season. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

dvferyance

I agree I hardly watched it last year. I doubt I will watch it at all this year. It's becoming a broken record.

Big John

Was the Cleveland player who walked away from the basket with the scored tied at the end on regulation part of possible rigging? :popcorn:
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/967984/JR-Smith-NBA-Finals-LeBron-James-Cleveland-Cavaliers

Alps

Quote from: Big John on June 01, 2018, 07:35:19 PM
Was the Cleveland player who walked away from the basket with the scored tied at the end on regulation part of possible rigging? :popcorn:
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/967984/JR-Smith-NBA-Finals-LeBron-James-Cleveland-Cavaliers
:popcorn:.

ET21

Clinched:

bing101

Here is a parody of the NBA Finals that Disney made years ago with Goofy.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: bing101 on June 05, 2018, 05:23:14 PM

"Double dribble", the name of the Goofy short, was more a parody of college basketball than NBA who was created in 1949 from the merger of 2 leagues; BAA(Basketball association of America) and NBL (National basketball league). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Dribble_(film)

bing101

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 06, 2018, 07:10:34 PM
Quote from: bing101 on June 05, 2018, 05:23:14 PM

"Double dribble", the name of the Goofy short, was more a parody of college basketball than NBA who was created in 1949 from the merger of 2 leagues; BAA(Basketball association of America) and NBL (National basketball league). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Dribble_(film)

Yet the spoof is still real today even though the film was in 1946. Yet all these decades later especially with the referees eyesight that is a common complaint you see in the NBA Finals especially in epic rivalries like Celtics vs Lakers or Warriors vs. Cavaliers.

But the One Disney was referring to was the UCLA vs. USC rivalry. USC had to have been the constant basketball champions in Los Angeles at the time the film was made and John Wooden was  not the College basketball legend yet when the film was made.

ET21

What'ya know.... GS up 3-0... Who would've thunk?  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Clinched:

Flint1979

Yeah 4 years in a row of the same two teams in the Finals is enough to start boring you. It's ridiculous that the NBA only has two teams like this and no one else can seem to beat these two teams before the Finals.

US 89

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 07, 2018, 02:45:03 PM
Yeah 4 years in a row of the same two teams in the Finals is enough to start boring you. It's ridiculous that the NBA only has two teams like this and no one else can seem to beat these two teams before the Finals.

The Rockets got pretty close to beating the Warriors, but I was actually rooting for the Warriors for once. The Rockets rely on the refs to call bad fouls against James Harden.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.