News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ce929wax

I would think that the NHL would want the next expansion team to come out of the Eastern Conference to balance things out.

Flint1979

I think some of these teams might need to be relocated. I can see a few teams such as the Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricane and still the Arizona Coyotes that it wouldn't hurt to relocate them. Move Carolina back to Hartford, move Florida to Quebec City and move Arizona to Seattle. I have no idea why the NHL is interested in entering markets that are not hockey markets. Like the Vegas Golden Knights, I really still don't see a team succeeding for long term in that market.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ce929wax on November 16, 2018, 11:42:19 PM
I would think that the NHL would want the next expansion team to come out of the Eastern Conference to balance things out.

The problem there is that the Western Conference has less teams right now.  Only way the Eastern Conference could have an expansion team is to have one of it's teams move to the Western Conference first.

jp the roadgeek

Seattle is already said 32nd expansion team, so any chance of an expansion team switching to the Eastern Conference is nil.  Only swap that could take place is swapping Detroit and Nashville.  As it is now, the Eastern Conference is confined to one time zone; the swap would upset the apple cart and Red Wings fans would be subject to many late nights..
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ce929wax

Hey, we dealt with late nights when the Wings were in the Western Conference, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Flint1979

Quote from: ce929wax on November 18, 2018, 06:14:56 PM
Hey, we dealt with late nights when the Wings were in the Western Conference, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.
But that's the main reason the Wings moved to the Eastern Conference.

Bruce

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 15, 2018, 09:39:54 PM
The problem I was having with finding a suitable location and wondering why not that location was that the city is too hilly and everything is developed around downtown so there aren't too many options available and what would be available is too far from downtown. Why not just demolish Key Arena and build a new arena on that site? A new arena would most likely fit the block from Republican to Thomas and 1st N to the line that would be 2nd N if that street was a through street.

KeyArena's roof is a historic landmark, which is why the "renovation" is really a full-scale teardown of everything under the roof to accommodate the larger arena. The 1995 renovation was somewhat similar, with the old coliseum roof being the only real remainder of the original structure from the World's Fair.

Since Seattle Center is itself eligible for landmark status (and it would be submitted, willingly or not), the arena really can't intrude on the International Fountain to the east. So it's pretty much stuck in the oblong block.

Bruce

The NHL Board of Governors is expected to approved an expansion team in Seattle tomorrow. Only took 102 years after our first Stanley Cup.

ET21

Seattle is a go, with Arizona moving to the central division
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ce929wax

I was wondering who was going to move to the Central Division.  I thought it might be Vegas, but Arizona is the logical choice.

1995hoo

Quote from: ce929wax on December 04, 2018, 07:55:41 PM
I was wondering who was going to move to the Central Division.  I thought it might be Vegas, but Arizona is the logical choice.

That way when the Coyotes move to Houston there's no further realignment needed!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 04, 2018, 09:04:29 PM
Quote from: ce929wax on December 04, 2018, 07:55:41 PM

That way when the Coyotes move to Houston there's no further realignment needed!
But when they move to Quebec City there will be.

Henry

I knew it would only be a matter of time before Seattle got back into the NHL! Perhaps this (and the upcoming rebuild of Key Arena) should pave the way for a Sonics comeback? (up yours, OKC!)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

okc1

On thread - Not sure about Houston, given Atlanta failed twice and problems in Glendale and Miami. I am sure Seattle will be a great NHL city.

Off thread - Amazing after 10 years the emotion of the Sonics move is as strong as ever. Many in OKC would like to see the Sonics back to see the red-hot rivalry with the Thunder!
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

Bruce

Personally, I hope the NBA comes begging to the city and gets a hard rejection. They had their grubby hands all over the move and should pay the price of losing one of America's best cities (which continues to get better).

Back to hockey: I hope that we get the Metropolitans name revived. Anything Native American (e.g. Totems) is a no-go, especially since totem poles were never part of the traditions of tribes in the Salish Sea region and were introduced by white settlers in an attempt to spice up their new cities. The other "finalists" that keep appearing (Kraken, Sockeye, Sasquatch, Freeze) are corny and really don't distinguish themselves as a potential long-term name...you have to find something timeless.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Bruce on December 05, 2018, 11:51:55 PM
Personally, I hope the NBA comes begging to the city and gets a hard rejection. They had their grubby hands all over the move and should pay the price of losing one of America's best cities (which continues to get better).

Back to hockey: I hope that we get the Metropolitans name revived. Anything Native American (e.g. Totems) is a no-go, especially since totem poles were never part of the traditions of tribes in the Salish Sea region and were introduced by white settlers in an attempt to spice up their new cities. The other "finalists" that keep appearing (Kraken, Sockeye, Sasquatch, Freeze) are corny and really don't distinguish themselves as a potential long-term name...you have to find something timeless.

How about the "Cascadians" as a nod to the Northwest area sometimes referred as Cascadia?

Alps

obRoads: Seattle Alaskans in memoriam of 99?

Henry

Quote from: Bruce on December 05, 2018, 11:51:55 PMBack to hockey: I hope that we get the Metropolitans name revived. Anything Native American (e.g. Totems) is a no-go, especially since totem poles were never part of the traditions of tribes in the Salish Sea region and were introduced by white settlers in an attempt to spice up their new cities. The other "finalists" that keep appearing (Kraken, Sockeye, Sasquatch, Freeze) are corny and really don't distinguish themselves as a potential long-term name...you have to find something timeless.
I like the Metropolitans idea, especially since it would be a tribute to the 1917 Stanley Cup champions. After all, Ottawa did this with the Senators.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Our Caps Christmas ornaments came. I hope these images display. (The Cup at the top of the tree next to the 9-11 memorial ornament was not part of the Caps' set.)

1995hoo

Flyers fired coach Hakstol, a couple of weeks after firing GM Hextall. If you work for the Flyers and your name is Hookstol, you'd better brush up your résumé.

1995hoo

Our season-ticket renewal package came today. Something spiffy was in the box....

Stephane Dumas

ET21

Hawks into the 2nd wild card spot after being left for dead at the start of the new year. And of course, TB just dominating
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

This is the front cover of the book I'm reading. Everyone remembers these infamous uniforms. But look at the mascot (Nyisles, pronounced "Niles" ). How did Islanders management fail to notice that he has a rolled-up condom on his head??!!!!! (Why did my autocorrect just try to change "condom"  to "condominium" ?)

Stephane Dumas

I saw an article from June 2018 about players who played for the St. Louis Blues who had won the Stanley Cup with another team.
https://bleedinblue.com/2018/06/09/st-louis-blues-won-cup-elsewhere/
https://twitter.com/STLBlueshistory/status/1004922925219184641

If the Washington Capitals had finally menaged to end their championship drought. Why not the Blues? They're the last 1967 expansion team who still hadn't won yet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.