Should auxiliary Interstates be numbered like spurs or like bypasses?

Started by SoCal Kid, April 08, 2019, 02:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal Kid

"In the case of an auxiliary Interstate highway which has both ends at Interstates but not the same Interstate, some states treat these as bypasses while others treat these as spurs." - Wikipedia.

This is kinda debatable. In California, I-205 connects I-580 and I-5. It is numbered like a bypass. I-505 connects I-5 with I-80, it is numbered like a spur.

Should it be these types of auxiliary Interstates be numbered like spurs or as bypasses?
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

Hurricane Rex

I'll list it like priorities

1. What numbers are available? If only one type, use that.

2. If both are, use spur numbers as they do not re-connect back to the parent interstate.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

SoCal Kid

Beltway

Almost half of the odd-digit prefix auxiliary Interstate routes are both -- they connect to 2 or more other Interstate routes, and they extend further to a terminus at a non-Interstate route.

A few examples -- NJ I-195, CA I-110, FL I-595
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Brandon

Some states do it one way, some do it another.

For example, Illinois tends to use an odd number, even if the child route connects to other interstates, leaving the even numbers for those that return to their parent interstate.

I-155: connects I-55 with I-74.
I-255: meets I-55 in Missouri and in Collinsville, but goes past I-55 to I-270.  The one current exception.
I-355: connects I-55 to I-80, I-88, and I-290.
I-270: meets I-70 in Missouri and Troy.
I-172: spur off I-72 to Quincy.
I-474: bypass of Peoria, meets I-74 at both ends.
I-180: spur off I-80 to Hennepin.
I-280: meets I-80 in Iowa and Coal Valley.  Concurrent with I-74 to meet I-80.
I-190: spur off I-90 into O'Hare International Airport.
I-290: meets I-90 at both ends.
I-294: bypass of Chicago, meets I-94 at both ends.  Concurrent with I-80 to meet I-94.

Even seems to apply to the state route "interstates".
IL-390: meets I-290 in the middle, will meet I-490 at the east end, spur toward Elgin at the west end.
IL-394: spur south from I-94 toward Crete and Beecher.

I-490 will be another exception to this, meeting I-90 at the north end, I-294 at the south end, and IL-390 in the middle.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bzakharin

I feel like routs such as I-276 (in PA) and I-280 (in NJ) are correctly numbered in spirit, as they both end at the same route as they end at the same corridor as their parent (more so for 280).

TEG24601

It really shouldn't matter.  Even numbers would be preferred, but odds allowed, but only after an even option from both Interstates are exhausted.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

SoCal Kid

Quote from: TEG24601 on April 08, 2019, 06:51:49 PM
It really shouldn't matter.  Even numbers would be preferred, but odds allowed, but only after an even option from both Interstates are exhausted.
I know, but I'm just curious about what others think

Eth

An even number feels more natural to me, though that's probably just because it's what I'm used to – here in Georgia, 675 is the only one that does this, and I also lived for a while in Maryland, where 270 is the only one that does this.

SoCal Kid

Quote from: Eth on April 08, 2019, 07:57:12 PM
An even number feels more natural to me, though that's probably just because it's what I'm used to – here in Georgia, 675 is the only one that does this, and I also lived for a while in Maryland, where 270 is the only one that does this.
I also favor even numbers. Because those types of auxiliary Interstates connect two Interstates like bypasses, while spurs (odd numbers) just connect an Interstate to a district or city (aka its terminus is a usually a road or non-Interstate).

kphoger

+1 here for even numbers.

IMO, odd numbers should be reserved for Interstates that basically end somewhere.

OTOH, I would also be in favor of eliminating any distinction between odd and even, and also eliminating parent- child-highway numering...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SoCal Kid

hotdogPi

Quote from: SoCal Kid on April 08, 2019, 09:19:28 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2019, 09:15:16 PM
Quote from: SoCal Kid on April 08, 2019, 02:05:15 PM
Wikipedia

That's your first mistake right there.  :bigass:
?

Wikipedia articles on roads are pretty accurate. There are no issues with POV pushing or living person biographies, and vandalism is relatively rare compared to more popular and more controversial articles.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SoCal Kid

Quote from: 1 on April 08, 2019, 09:22:27 PM
Quote from: SoCal Kid on April 08, 2019, 09:19:28 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2019, 09:15:16 PM
Quote from: SoCal Kid on April 08, 2019, 02:05:15 PM
Wikipedia

That's your first mistake right there.  :bigass:
?

Wikipedia articles on roads are pretty accurate. There are no issues with POV pushing or living person biographies, and vandalism is relatively rare compared to more popular and more controversial articles.
^^^

sprjus4

As for crossing the parent route twice but continuing beyond it to terminate at another destination...

Interstate 264 in Hampton Roads, Virginia stretches from I-64 at Bowers Hill in Chesapeake, through Downtown Norfolk where it meets I-464, then meets back up with I-64 east of Downtown. But then it keeps going east until terminating at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront.

Interstate 295 in the Richmond area is similar, where it branches off I-95 south of Petersburg, crosses I-64 east of Richmond, meets back with I-95 north of Richmond, but then continues west to finally terminate at I-64 west of Richmond.

As for branching off one interstate and linking up to another interstate...

Interstate 285 (even-numbered) connects Interstate 85 at Lexington, North Carolina to Interstate 40 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It branches off I-85 once, and never meets back, though connects to another interstate.

Interstate 274 (proposed, not official, so could change) (even-numbered) would connect Interstate 74 (currently under construction) north of Winston-Salem to Interstate 40 west of Winston-Salem.

The short-lived Interstate 495 (even-numbered) was planned to connect I-40 at Raleigh, North Carolina to I-95 at Rocky Mount, North Carolina. This designation, however, has been deleted and replaced with Interstate 87, which would extend the I-495 routing all the way to Hampton Roads, Virginia via Elizabeth City. But the point still stands... it was an even numbered designation planned to link two different interstates.

On the contrary, Interstate 795 (odd-numbered), when completed, will connect Interstate 95 at Wilson, North Carolina to Interstate 40 at Faison, North Carolina.

Interstate 587 connects Interstate 87 at Zebulon, North Carolina to Interstate 95 at Wilson, North Carolina, though does continue east until terminating at Greensville, North Carolina at a non-interstate.

sparker

CA's 3di's are odd ducks indeed; only 3 (215, 405, 805) intersect their parent twice, 1 even 2di (605) intersects its parent in the middle.  The remainder, whether odd or even prefix, are a mix of parental single intersects or even branches of other 3di's (105, 380, 980).  And to top it off, we've got one (580) that multiplexes with its parent for a bit.  And, of course, the Voldemort of Interstates -- the number that shall not be repeated  -- hint -- it's an orphan (parentless) and is the other Interstate (besides 980) connecting 580 and 880; the only reason for its existence is as a truck-route alternative to I-580, which forbids them (east of downtown) in Oakland.   Blame topology, bodies of water, and, of course, politics for these configurations.     

SoCal Kid

Quote from: sparker on April 08, 2019, 11:08:20 PM
CA's 3di's are odd ducks indeed; only 3 (215, 405, 805) intersect their parent twice, 1 even 2di (605) intersects its parent in the middle.  The remainder, whether odd or even prefix, are a mix of parental single intersects or even branches of other 3di's (105, 380, 980).  And to top it off, we've got one (580) that multiplexes with its parent for a bit.  And, of course, the Voldemort of Interstates -- the number that shall not be repeated  -- hint -- it's an orphan (parentless) and is the other Interstate (besides 980) connecting 580 and 880; the only reason for its existence is as a truck-route alternative to I-580, which forbids them (east of downtown) in Oakland.   Blame topology, bodies of water, and, of course, politics for these configurations.     
I-238

skluth

I don't care if they're numbered as even or odd 3DIs. As long as they're not labeled 2DIs like I-12 or I-97.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

hotdogPi

Loops/beltways should be even even if only one end is at the parent (e.g. both I-291s, I-290 MA as it forms two "legs", I-495 MA), while anything taking nearly a straight line that goes into a large city instead of around should be odd (e.g. I-195 MA/RI, I-395 MA/CT).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Ben114

Quote from: 1 on April 09, 2019, 02:36:40 PM
Loops/beltways should be even even if only one end is at the parent (e.g. both I-291s, I-290 MA as it forms two "legs", I-495 MA), while anything taking nearly a straight line that goes into a large city instead of around should be odd (e.g. I-195 MA/RI, I-395 MA/CT).
It should be distance based.
I-291 in MA ends at I-90 fairly close to I-91
I-290 in MA ends at I-495 fairly close to I-90
I-395 in MA ends far from I-95 so it should be odd
I-495 in MA meets with I-95 multiple times so it should be even

sparker

Quote from: SoCal Kid on April 08, 2019, 11:13:28 PM
Quote from: sparker on April 08, 2019, 11:08:20 PM
I-238

Bingo -- as Californians, we all share in the shame!

Beltway

Quote from: skluth on April 09, 2019, 01:10:37 AM
I don't care if they're numbered as even or odd 3DIs. As long as they're not labeled 2DIs like I-12 or I-97.

What should I-12 be?  At 87 miles long it would fit into the typical realm of intra-state Interstate routes.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Ben114

Quote from: Beltway on April 09, 2019, 05:16:18 PM
Quote from: skluth on April 09, 2019, 01:10:37 AM

What should I-12 be?  At 87 miles long it would fit into the typical realm of intra-state Interstate routes.

The only free number is currently I-810.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.