News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsmatt13

Apologies for the poor camera angle, but this Exit 8 tab on I-287 SB has room on the right for some reason. Maybe Exit 8 was once intended to be split into "8A" and "8B," and that was the space left over? If I-287 SB did have two exits, my guess would be a loop ramp to Possumtown Rd. north.

Interstates & freeways clinched: 16, 78, 87 (NY), 97, 287, 295 (NJ/PA/DE), 676, ACE, GSP

storm2k

Quote from: tsmatt13 on July 22, 2022, 08:15:17 AM
Apologies for the poor camera angle, but this Exit 8 tab on I-287 SB has room on the right for some reason. Maybe Exit 8 was once intended to be split into "8A" and "8B," and that was the space left over? If I-287 SB did have two exits, my guess would be a loop ramp to Possumtown Rd. north.

That sign was erected in 1994 and the exit tab was blank until 1999 when they did the full sign replacement on that stretch of 287 and signs got exit numbers. Don't know if there was a plan to ever have two exits there, but I suspect it was more that they didn't align the 8 very well when they did it. Another fun fact: they always left room for the 18 shield, but that didn't come until they finally extended 18 up Hoes Lane in the mid 2010s.

storm2k

New LGS appeared on the Exit 41 offramp from 78 Eastbound in the past few months:

NJDOT really seems to have gone in on the "sign every county route regardless of importance" train these days. It's also a bit of a misnomer. Drift Rd itself isn't a county route (this piece of roadway is actually in Somerset County as a tiny piece of Warren goes beyond 78 to its terminus just to the north of the highway), but Plainfield Ave instead. Plainfield Ave is sparsely signed by UCo. It does of course continue Southeast to turn into Bonnie Burn Rd, which is within SoCo but has the unique "Maintained by Union County" sign (as it's all almost entirely within Watchung until the very bottom piece past the intersection with Diamond Hill where it enters Scotch Plains and is back in UCo). That's a long-winded way of my saying that NJDOT has really embraced undoing 40+ years of sign policy which is sparse acknowledgement of 6xx county routes in its signage. The BGS for this exit is a little more than a decade old, so it's not likely to be replaced soon, but I do wonder if they do replace it, will it suddenly have a CR641 to US22 legend on it instead of just town names like it does now?

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on July 23, 2022, 01:30:34 PM
New LGS appeared on the Exit 41 offramp from 78 Eastbound in the past few months:

NJDOT really seems to have gone in on the "sign every county route regardless of importance" train these days. It's also a bit of a misnomer. Drift Rd itself isn't a county route (this piece of roadway is actually in Somerset County as a tiny piece of Warren goes beyond 78 to its terminus just to the north of the highway), but Plainfield Ave instead. Plainfield Ave is sparsely signed by UCo. It does of course continue Southeast to turn into Bonnie Burn Rd, which is within SoCo but has the unique "Maintained by Union County" sign (as it's all almost entirely within Watchung until the very bottom piece past the intersection with Diamond Hill where it enters Scotch Plains and is back in UCo). That's a long-winded way of my saying that NJDOT has really embraced undoing 40+ years of sign policy which is sparse acknowledgement of 6xx county routes in its signage. The BGS for this exit is a little more than a decade old, so it's not likely to be replaced soon, but I do wonder if they do replace it, will it suddenly have a CR641 to US22 legend on it instead of just town names like it does now?

I remember this ramp quite well. It used to be a freeway segment end from 1971 to about 1985, and there used to be a lone TO US 22 shield at the far side of Drift Road.  A Berkeley Hts. and Scotch Plains guide to the right at the end of the ramp.

In 1984 I used to commute this way at my first adult job in Bedminster to my home in Clark.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 23, 2022, 10:32:32 PM
Quote from: storm2k on July 23, 2022, 01:30:34 PM

I remember this ramp quite well. It used to be a freeway segment end from 1971 to about 1985, and there used to be a lone TO US 22 shield at the far side of Drift Road.  A Berkeley Hts. and Scotch Plains guide to the right at the end of the ramp.

In 1984 I used to commute this way at my first adult job in Bedminster to my home in Clark.

When I was a kid in the 1980s my grandparents and uncle lived in Elizabeth and during the summers, we would go frequently to Spruce Run to swim. I have very vivid memories of driving down 22 to Bonnie Burn Rd and picking up 78 to drive out to the Clinton area to get to Spruce Run.

One thing I will say is that NJDOT needs to figure something out with the 78 Westbound Exit 41 ramp. That ramp is way too short and subject to frequent backups because a lot of traffic wants to exit there. Probably not any great solutions, and if they closed the ramp entirely it would result in some long detours to get to and from Plainfield Ave, but those backups can be an issue even at non rush-hours.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on July 24, 2022, 12:43:20 PM
One thing I will say is that NJDOT needs to figure something out with the 78 Westbound Exit 41 ramp. That ramp is way too short and subject to frequent backups because a lot of traffic wants to exit there. Probably not any great solutions, and if they closed the ramp entirely it would result in some long detours to get to and from Plainfield Ave, but those backups can be an issue even at non rush-hours.
I believe signalization would solve it - but they'd need to get buy-in from Watchung since they maintain Drift Road.

tsmatt13

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6625816,-74.4301734,3a,50y,260.71h,80.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUUcwBNVX_28uaQvhvNW-kQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Google Maps even caught it in action. A signal or perhaps a roundabout would definitely work there.
Interstates & freeways clinched: 16, 78, 87 (NY), 97, 287, 295 (NJ/PA/DE), 676, ACE, GSP

NJRoadfan

The backup is mostly from the light at Drift Rd. and Plainfield Ave. which is maintained by Union County even though it is in Somerset County.

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 24, 2022, 10:56:13 PM
The backup is mostly from the light at Drift Rd. and Plainfield Ave. which is maintained by Union County even though it is in Somerset County.

Even if there isn't a decent queue for that light (and there's enough traffic moving on Plainfield Ave that things would almost certainly be worse if it were gone), traffic backs up off the ramp because it has to wait for an opportunity to turn in, and if there are a decent number of cars exiting from the other side and coming around that bend, you might wait a bit, which is why a light on the offramp may be of help.

DrSmith

Quote from: Alps on July 24, 2022, 02:56:48 PM
I believe signalization would solve it - but they'd need to get buy-in from Watchung since they maintain Drift Road.

A little bigger endeavor might be modifying the ramp so that it is much straighter and longer and meets up with Drift Road where the 78 Westbound on-ramp is located.

Alps

Quote from: DrSmith on July 25, 2022, 06:08:53 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 24, 2022, 02:56:48 PM

A little bigger endeavor might be modifying the ramp so that it is much straighter and longer and meets up with Drift Road where the 78 Westbound on-ramp is located.
I don't think that'd help. Delays I see are from right turns, which is based on who's coming north on Drift Rd., which really wouldn't change in your scenario.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: storm2k on July 22, 2022, 08:56:58 AM
Quote from: tsmatt13 on July 22, 2022, 08:15:17 AM

That sign was erected in 1994 and the exit tab was blank until 1999 when they did the full sign replacement on that stretch of 287 and signs got exit numbers. Don't know if there was a plan to ever have two exits there, but I suspect it was more that they didn't align the 8 very well when they did it. Another fun fact: they always left room for the 18 shield, but that didn't come until they finally extended 18 up Hoes Lane in the mid 2010s.

Something similar happened with Exit 37 (NJ-24).
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

roadman65

Am I the only one not seeing a photo?

Sheryl Crowe

MATraveler128

Quote from: roadman65 on July 31, 2022, 12:08:10 PM

Yeah the picture isn't showing up for me either.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

tsmatt13

Sorry, the photo was there when I first posted it, don't know where it went.

Here is the link to the photo on Flickr, it should be fixed now.  :D
https://flic.kr/p/2nBq3Dj

ixnay

Quote from: tsmatt13 on July 31, 2022, 01:28:31 PM
Sorry, the photo was there when I first posted it, don't know where it went.

Here is the link to the photo on Flickr, it should be fixed now.  :D
https://flic.kr/p/2nBq3Dj

It wasn't showing for me either.  Now it is.  We thank you.   :thumbsup:

roadman65

I see now in Clifton at the NJ 3 and US 46 exchange, the exit Eastbound on Route 46  for Route 3 is moved to the left now.

Plus the temporary control city of " Fort Lee"  is being used on the orange signs.  I just hope it really stays temporary as too much inconsistency lately in NJ with pull through controls especially in this region of the state.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on August 05, 2022, 09:48:29 AM
I see now in Clifton at the NJ 3 and US 46 exchange, the exit Eastbound on Route 46  for Route 3 is moved to the left now.

Plus the temporary control city of " Fort Lee"  is being used on the orange signs.  I just hope it really stays temporary as too much inconsistency lately in NJ with pull through controls especially in this region of the state.

I know 46 takes you to the GWB, but it's not the primary way there anymore and hasn't been for 60 years since they built 80. I would like to see them emphasize local destinations more, as that's why you'd be on 46.

Same way that 22 should really use Newark as its eastbound control east of Somerville instead of New York (and the fun part is some signs say one, some say the other). That one is less defensible since whereas 46 actually merges onto the bridge, 22 ends at 1-9 and you have to drive over the Skyway (or truck route) to get anywhere near the Holland Tunnel and the city.

roadman65

The funny thing is between US 22 and I-78 off I-287, for many years it was Newark fot the interstate but New York for the US route. Now since the signs were changed thirty years ago or so, both read New York City.  I'd be in favor now of more local destinations over the big city being I-78 is the faster route.

Even  for US 1 in Edison on I-287 uses Trenton and Newark for  US 1.  Being next to I-95 it should use more local points as well. Use Woodbridge for Exit 1A and New Brunswick for Exit 1B.  Thus for NJ 27 south Highland Park should replace New Brunswick there.

For NJ 18 now completed to I-287, it should have also New Brunswick instead of Highland Park, but the signing engineers failed to see that and kept the old places signed and just added a NJ 18 shield instead.

CR 527 could have New Brunswick replaced with Somerset and be Somerset- South Bound Brook at Exit 9.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Some random browsing I stumbled upon a page filled with some vintage NJ road photos: https://gardenstatesignals.net/old-signs-and-sundries/

Its buried on the site, so a direct link to vintage Exit 153 signs on the GSP: https://gardenstatesignals.files.wordpress.com/2021/12/gspexit153.png

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 08, 2022, 07:39:10 PM
Some random browsing I stumbled upon a page filled with some vintage NJ road photos: https://gardenstatesignals.net/old-signs-and-sundries/

Its buried on the site, so a direct link to vintage Exit 153 signs on the GSP: https://gardenstatesignals.files.wordpress.com/2021/12/gspexit153.png
Original signs from that stretch of Parkway!

SignBridge

Quote from: Alps on August 08, 2022, 09:53:02 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 08, 2022, 07:39:10 PM

Original signs from that stretch of Parkway!

I think that set of overhead signs was built later. I believe that section of the Parkway was opened in the mid 1950's before that type of signing began. Those signs were probably built in the early 1960's when that style signing became common in the New York Metro area. It was definitely there in 1964 as I remember seeing that photo as a kid reading a magazine article about the Parkway that year. I believe the article was celebrating the Parkway's first ten years of operation. And I kept that magazine for many years.

storm2k

What a great trove of old pictures. A lot of black on white enamel panels of yore, for sure, but lots of gems nonetheless.

This one on 46 at the spaghetti bowl (back when it was more of an elongated ovalish circle) is great. The route signs look like oversized props or something, but that was a thing they did. Maybe NJDOT should do this at the western end of 139 where it meets 1-9 since they took down the LGSs and just left shields to direct motorists.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on August 09, 2022, 02:37:51 AM
What a great trove of old pictures. A lot of black on white enamel panels of yore, for sure, but lots of gems nonetheless.

This one on 46 at the spaghetti bowl (back when it was more of an elongated ovalish circle) is great. The route signs look like oversized props or something, but that was a thing they did. Maybe NJDOT should do this at the western end of 139 where it meets 1-9 since they took down the LGSs and just left shields to direct motorists.
This one never made any sense. Look at historic aerials and tell me where there is any setup that would have north 23 left, south 23 right, and west 46 straight.

D-Dey65

Signals like this, are one of the reasons I miss non-electronic toll plazas:
https://gardenstatesignals.net/old-signs-and-sundries/#jp-carousel-10033
Speaking of which, how is traffic in Fort Lee now that the Port Authority is getting rid of the toll plazas for the George Washington Bridge?
https://www.panynj.gov/port-authority/en/press-room/press-release-archives/2022-press-releases/new-cashless-tolling-activation-at-george-washington-bridge-set-.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.